Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King says that Rex is "smitten" with Mingo

All Pro

Peter King says that Rex is "smitten" with Mingo

Sorry if already posted.

NFL Draft 2013: Rex Ryan 'smitten' with Barkevious MingoBy JP Starkey on Apr 15 2013, 9:23a  @jpstarkey +
    Stay connected with SB Nation Derick E. Hingle-US PRESSWIRE
    Rex Ryan is reportedly smitten with Barkevious Mingo and the Jets could be targeting the former LSU defensive end with the No. 9 overall pick.
    The New York Jets have many needs entering the 2013 NFL Draft and could take a number of different prospects with the No. 9 overall pick. Jets head coach Rex Ryan is "smitten" with LSU's Barkevious Mingo, according to Sports Illustrated's Peter King -- and Mingo could be New York's pick at No. 9 overall.
    More: Barkevious Mingo scouting report | Jets blog: Gang Green Nation | Mingo might not be available for the Jets at No. 9 overall, however. In SB Nation's latest mock draft, the Arizona Cardinals are projected to take the LSU DE/OLB with the No. 7 overall pick. The Jets are projected to select former West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin with the No. 9 overall pick, and then former Alabama guard Chance Warmack with the No. 13 pick -- assuming New York trades Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay in exchange for the Buccaneers' first-round pick.
    SB Nation's Matthew Fairburn compared Mingo to Dallas Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware in Mingo's scouting report, calling Mingo's upside "through the roof," and says Mingo "more than warrants a top-ten pick."
    Mingo's numbers were underwhelming in 2012, as the former LSU defensive end recorded 38 tackles, including 8.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. Despite only recording 4.5 sacks, Fairburn believes that Mingo generated plenty of pass rush and that the sack total simply doesn't tell the story.
    It's not a surprise that Rex Ryan is smitten with Mingo, as most coaches in the NFL probably are. It's feasible, however, that Mingo could slip to No. 9, and if he does, the Jets could pounce on him.

mad libs: "Rex Ryan is smitten with _________" (provide defensive player's name)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Sorry if already posted.

All Rex knows how to do is draft DE's. This comes as no surprise.

Lemme guess... round 2 we draft a guard from the University of Port au Prince

Good... we desperately need an OLB and mingo is the prototypical 3-4 OLB

Mingo is the guy I want the most. Would be ecstatic with this pick. Hopefully its not a smokescreen

Hall Of Fame
    Luckily, for us, Rex is now a eunuch. Idzik is running the show.

So I hope.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Not really a fan, but Rex knows a helluva lot more about defense than I do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Dear Peter

You may not have noticed, what with your head firmly implanted in your boyfriend Belishyte's sphincter but during the offseason the Jets hired a new GM and Rex will no longer be making the final decisions in the Jets draft war room.

Hope this helps you avoid continuing to make an imbecile of yourself as far as NFL reporting is concerned

he will be the next V gholston-jets should stay away and they have drafted enough guys on D early on-get your offense some weapons and improve the line

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Luckily, for us, Rex is now a eunuch. Idzik is running the show.

So I hope.
    Luckily for those of us that don't by into the SOJF mantra, Rex is very much involved in the off-season planning and talent evaluation.

Based on how engaged Rex has been all off-season, combine, pro days, private workouts, FA signings, etc, Rex is very much involved, despite what SOJF's and fans who don't have a clue will try to tell us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    he will be the next V gholston-jets should stay away and they have drafted enough guys on D early on-get your offense some weapons and improve the line
    Thanks GMC3

All Pro
    I'll be happy with any of the 4 top OLBs. I don't think Rex has anything to do with the choice, but I'll be glad if he approves. I don't think the fact that Rex is no longer the GM means he has no balls however. I'm pretty sure Rex would rather coach anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I keep seeing some Jet Mocks that have Tavon Austin at 9 and Chance Warmack at 13 from the Buc's pick..

Hall Of Fame
    Hopefully this is a smokescreen.

All Pro
    No one was smitten with Gholston. He just had too much potential to let pass. We did try to trade out of that situation, and no one wanted to, because, as I said. No one wanted to make that call. Mingo is a much better prospect, has a high football IQ, and is a selfless player. Was a great edge rusher in 2011, and a great edge setter in 2012. No comparison with the Ghost.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

this 1000%
    Last edited by LIJetsFan; 04-15-2013 at 11:24 AM.

There are about 15 guys I would be "OK" with at the 9 spot. Mingo is certainly on that list. Its not like Rex has messed up with Coples and MoWilk. But i personally prefer guys that I have watched in college that looked dominant. Coples had moments of sheer domination in college and everyone know that with the right coaching he would be a stud. Mingo never really impressed me in college. I was more impressed from what I saw from Jordan/Jones/Star/Millner. So if any of those guys drop and we still take Mingo i will be a little dissapointed but I won't lose any sleep over it.

All Pro
    Based on his highlight reel he appears to be quicker and with a better motor but he did remind me a bit of the Ghost in that he was getting pushed around a bit out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Remember we were talking about this yesterday. Rex knows more about defense than anybody who's ever posted on this forum.Your point yesterday was well taken about him getting off blocks at the nfl level. If we know this, im sure Rex does.Maybe rex feels adding a little more strength, and using his hands better he'll be a beast

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    There are about 15 guys I would be "OK" with at the 9 spot. Mingo is certainly on that list. Its not like Rex has messed up with Coples and MoWilk. But i personally prefer guys that I have watched in college that looked dominant. Coples had moments of sheer domination in college and everyone know that with the right coaching he would be a stud. Mingo never really impressed me in college. I was more impressed from what I saw from Jordan/Jones/Star/Millner. So if any of those guys drop and we still take Mingo i will be a little dissapointed but I won't lose any sleep over it.
    Watch some film of him in 2011 when he was sent off the edge. Last year he had contain responsibility on QBs, and setting the edge. He was not allowed to rush up field.
    The only thing that concerns mw about Mingo is that I heard he wants to be a DE, not a LBer. I don't really care what he wants. He doesn't have the hips to be a DE, but it concerns me that he would voice his displeasure. That is if he really did say it. I'm not positive.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 04-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.