Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 121

Thread: Peter King says that Rex is "smitten" with Mingo

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    I would be happy with Mingo at #9.

    I don't really understand the love-fest around Dion Jordan. Dude was less productive than Mingo in college, had very few passes defended despite scouts saying his "coverage skills" are a positive, and his combine numbers weren't much better than Mingo's.

    Mingo looks like a monster - plays like a monster, and had to deal with Les Miles as his coach. Plus his name alone says "I'm going to be a terror to QBs in this league."
    Mingo also played with a stellar DL around him while Jordan was the only player on the Oregon DL who people have ever heard about.

    Also, in college Jordan racked up 14.5 sacks while Mingo racked up 15.

    If anything they're equal, but Jordan put up better Combine #'s and played with less talent around him and therefore he'll go earlier.

    I'd rather Ansah - I've hated the Mingo speculation, absolutely hated it, I'm not a fan - but after reading about him and his life, I've been slowly warming up to it - that and the fact that everyone says Rex is smitten with him. I guess we'll see if he really is in 8 days because Mingo won't go in the Top 8.

  2. #102
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,733
    Although Rex may end up losing his current job for for any number of reasons, this draft becomes very important to Rex in terms of keeping his "defensive guru" bona fides intact league-wide. If Rex has a top ten D this year then he is still the guru and it would also go a long way towards helping his case to remain as the HC. Even though roster balance would seem to indicate that we should go offense more often than defense in this draft, I think that Rex's personal situation looks a lot better if he can get a defensive impact player at the top.

    I would love to be a fly on the wall in that war room.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Mingo also played with a stellar DL around him while Jordan was the only player on the Oregon DL who people have ever heard about.

    Also, in college Jordan racked up 14.5 sacks while Mingo racked up 15.

    If anything they're equal, but Jordan put up better Combine #'s and played with less talent around him and therefore he'll go earlier.

    I'd rather Ansah - I've hated the Mingo speculation, absolutely hated it, I'm not a fan - but after reading about him and his life, I've been slowly warming up to it - that and the fact that everyone says Rex is smitten with him. I guess we'll see if he really is in 8 days because Mingo won't go in the Top 8.
    Correct on sacks - but Mingo has 9 passes defended to Jordan's 2 - in roughly the same number of games. Given that Jordan was asked to drop into coverage often (its in every scouting report and cited as a positive) you'd expect more passes defended - a stat that matters when evaluating DE/OLB.

    What I'm saying is that looking at measurables you could make the case that Mingo is every bit the prospect that Jordan is.

    I love Ansah, but not sure he fits as 3-4 OLB for the Jets. Not saying he couldn't make the transition, but looking at his 40-time (slow) and vertical jump (insane) he screams 4-3 DE producing from day 1. Side note on passes defneded and Ansah - he had something like 9 PD in his senior year alone, which was more than all of the DBs on the BYU roster combined. He can be a Mario Williams.

  4. #104
    Mingo beat Jordan in every combine event. He was pretty much the top performer there.

    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Mingo also played with a stellar DL around him while Jordan was the only player on the Oregon DL who people have ever heard about.

    Also, in college Jordan racked up 14.5 sacks while Mingo racked up 15.

    If anything they're equal, but Jordan put up better Combine #'s and played with less talent around him and therefore he'll go earlier.

    I'd rather Ansah - I've hated the Mingo speculation, absolutely hated it, I'm not a fan - but after reading about him and his life, I've been slowly warming up to it - that and the fact that everyone says Rex is smitten with him. I guess we'll see if he really is in 8 days because Mingo won't go in the Top 8.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Correct on sacks - but Mingo has 9 passes defended to Jordan's 2 - in roughly the same number of games. Given that Jordan was asked to drop into coverage often (its in every scouting report and cited as a positive) you'd expect more passes defended - a stat that matters when evaluating DE/OLB.

    What I'm saying is that looking at measurables you could make the case that Mingo is every bit the prospect that Jordan is.

    I love Ansah, but not sure he fits as 3-4 OLB for the Jets. Not saying he couldn't make the transition, but looking at his 40-time (slow) and vertical jump (insane) he screams 4-3 DE producing from day 1. Side note on passes defneded and Ansah - he had something like 9 PD in his senior year alone, which was more than all of the DBs on the BYU roster combined. He can be a Mario Williams.
    Ansah is basically JPP all over again. Extremely similar physical traits and it even shows on the field with their style of play. And Ansah would absolutely be able to make the transition. He would be involved with coverage perhaps 10% of the time so it really confused me why anyone would be so concerned with that aspect of someone's game when it means very little. When it comes down to evaluating Ansah, Jordan, and Mingo, you are 100% making that selection based on their pass rush ability.

    Jordan has 20 sack potential and there is just no way he falls to us.. Or Ansah for that matter. Oregon wasted him in coverage plenty of times and it really confuses me. I think of him similarly to Jason Taylor, only more impressive physically.

    Mingo is weird... He's as tough as it gets to evaluate. You watch his senior tape, and the guy is clearly just trying to contain the QB rather than actually rush the passer. He even said as such during his combine interview. You watch him in his junior year, and he's really trying to get after the passer.

    The problem with Mingo is he doesn't tackle... He's weak in his upper body and you can't always assume that these guys are going to get stronger and start bringing down guys. He of course has enough strength to bring down a QB however. And he also has that great 1st step which is extremely hard to find.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 04-17-2013 at 11:23 AM.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Hmm, I don't really feel differently after watching that. Here is the video I had seen:
    http://www.packers.com/media-center/...8-72f975712b02

    Again, not to blow this out of proportion, it is just an observation that reminded me of Gholston. Not saying Mingo will be a bust.
    It isn't a big deal, but you're wrong that he doesn't show emotion.....There's atleast 5 or 6 instances of him "freaking out" after a big play on that video I posted and even gave you the exact clip times

    Gholston he is not

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    It isn't a big deal, but you're wrong that he doesn't show emotion.....There's atleast 5 or 6 instances of him "freaking out" after a big play on that video I posted and even gave you the exact clip times

    Gholston he is not
    It's a dumb argument. You shouldn't even bother responding to it. Mingo is the truth.

  8. #108
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    It's a dumb argument. You shouldn't even bother responding to it. Mingo is the truth.
    There's about as much truth to Mingo as there is to my penis. Both are products of hype and spotty performance. The fact that you guys think Mingo's the answer, tells me you're exactly the kind of naive b*tches my Mingo used to prey on in college. Back in the days of yore, when potential and a flashy physique was enough to get by... Well guess what? That sh*t don't always fly in the pros. My little destiny raider's best days are behind him... and so are Mingo's.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-17-2013 at 09:16 PM.

  9. #109
    Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 6m
    Knock on Jordan and Mingo is lack of sack production. Interesting timing for Clay Matthews new extension. He had 4.5 sacks his Sr year
    BUT BUT BUT YOUR PERFORMANCE IN COLLEGE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS


  10. #110
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    BUT BUT BUT YOUR PERFORMANCE IN COLLEGE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS

    Did you actually just compare Mingo to Clay... What about Suggs' 44 sacks in College? The fck outta here

    How about you Jolly Ranchers actually do some homework on these guys. Start with even the most basic of videos.

    http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/mu...9-fbea6b588c27

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Did you actually just compare Mingo to Clay
    Yes I did.

    If you did your homework, you would know that Clay played 1 year in college as a pass rusher. Before that he was a linebacker. He only had 4.5 sacks. Same as Mingo. Yet we use Mingo's performance against him. Like it actually means anything in the pros.

    Or we could talk about Cameron Wake. Who had a whopping total of 1 sack in his collegiate career. And look at him now. He's one of the premier pass rushers in the league. As opposed to his teammate Tamba Hali, who had the better collegiate career but isnt anywhere near the pass rusher Wake is at the next level.

    So go ahead, keep putting down Mingo and hyping up Jarvis Jones like college production actually holds weight in the pros

  12. #112
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    OK we're done here.

  13. #113
    AKA, you have nothing substantial to say

  14. #114
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,135
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    AKA, you have nothing substantial to say
    AKA - when you start cropping my replies to suite your fanny... I'm done. Talk about Suggs 44. Or the HUNDRED OTHER examples. The sh*t you're bringing to the table wouldn't stick with a pound of gel. Some kitty-catty "so and so had low sacks tooo" in an adam sandler voice. Talk about his technique or go home... in fact, I don't care. Talk about whatever you want. The jets won't touch mingo, so what do I care.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    AKA - when you start cropping my replies to suite your fanny... I'm done. Talk about Suggs 44. Or the HUNDRED OTHER examples. The sh*t you're bringing to the table wouldn't stick with a pound of gel. Some kitty-catty "so and so had low sacks tooo" in an adam sandler voice. Talk about his technique or go home... in fact, I don't care. Talk about whatever you want. The jets won't touch mingo, so what do I care.
    Cool story, bruh.

    Too bad you did the same thing. Bringing up Suggs when this has nothing to do with him.

    I could talk about Mingo's technique. I could talk about his speed, various pass rushing moves, ability to change directions, and all that. But I'm sure you'd just disagree or ignore that bring up various straw man arguements.

    So yea, we're done here

  16. #116
    I trust Rex's judgment the last two 1st round picks are both front 7 defensive studs.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    There's about as much truth to Mingo as there is to my penis. Both are products of hype and spotty performance. The fact that you guys think Mingo's the answer, tells me you're exactly the kind of naive b*tches my Mingo used to prey on in college. Back in the days of yore, when potential and a flashy physique was enough to get by... Well guess what? That sh*t don't always fly in the pros. My little destiny raider's best days are behind him... and so are Mingo's.
    This post is some BS man....There are plenty of GM's, scouts, and highly respected draft guys that also think Mingo could be the answer.....Do you also consider Tony Pauline, for example, a "naive b*tch" because he thinks that Mingo could possibly become a star in the NFL?

    You don't like Mingo, we get it......But to also act like he's a lock to bust is just flat out ignorant

    Basically you can not like a prospect...but you don't have to insult others that do

    It's all good though, I respect your opinion on other matters.....Just the Mingo thing irks me a little

  18. #118
    Does this mean a new tattoo?

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    It's a dumb argument. You shouldn't even bother responding to it. Mingo is the truth.

    Yes, dumb. No one should ever question a college prospect who hasn't proved anything in the pros. They are all can't-miss and how dare anyone have a different opinion.

    Brilliant. Only on this board...

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    There's about as much truth to Mingo as there is to my penis. Both are products of hype and spotty performance. The fact that you guys think Mingo's the answer, tells me you're exactly the kind of naive b*tches my Mingo used to prey on in college. Back in the days of yore, when potential and a flashy physique was enough to get by... Well guess what? That sh*t don't always fly in the pros. My little destiny raider's best days are behind him... and so are Mingo's.
    Paradis - not sure there is anyone on the board I disagree more about then we do with ansah, while at the same time enjoying/respecting the posts.

    The above is hilarious!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us