Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Joe Bonamassa at the Beacon

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't know much about Joe Bonamassa but I was walking past the Beacon this weekend and his tour bus outside. 9x out of 10, the tour buses there are non-descript, but his had a a big gaudy picture of him and his name in huge letters. This is evidence of absolutely nothing, but it made him seem a bit douchy.

    I saw Iron and Wine at the Beacon last Tuesday. After grabbing ice cream across the street, we were walking back and came across the guys in the horn section loading up the (nondescript) bus. Chatted with them for a bit - all seemed like good dudes and made it seem like Sam was a laid back, stand up dude. Again, evidence of nothing in particular - just noted the contrast.
    I worked for them too.
    Really good guys! I was a fan of Sam's music before, so I knew a little about them, but I was impressed with how down to earth they all were.
    I think they may have even invited me to smoke some weed with them, actually...
    I couldn't even begin to guess how many bands I've worked for, from the biggest stars to garage bands nobody's heard of... I have NEVER seen anything like the spectacle that was Joe Bonnarroo. He wasn't singing back then, either. It was just him solo on the guitar.
    MAN what an a-hole!
    And we were all bltching that REO Speedwagon was taking up all of the space on/backstage for the gear... Til THIS clown came around!
    I was the only person backstage who knew it was him, and that was only because I vividly remembered seeing him on InHd a week or so before and was making fun of him.
    Nobody believed me and were all guessing how long it would be before "Joe Bonnarroo's Tour Manager was fired" til he came onstage.
    I REALLY wish there were camera-phones back then!

  2. #22
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I worked for them too.
    Really good guys! I was a fan of Sam's music before, so I knew a little about them, but I was impressed with how down to earth they all were.
    I think they may have even invited me to smoke some weed with them, actually...
    I couldn't even begin to guess how many bands I've worked for, from the biggest stars to garage bands nobody's heard of... I have NEVER seen anything like the spectacle that was Joe Bonnarroo. He wasn't singing back then, either. It was just him solo on the guitar.
    MAN what an a-hole!
    And we were all bltching that REO Speedwagon was taking up all of the space on/backstage for the gear... Til THIS clown came around!
    I was the only person backstage who knew it was him, and that was only because I vividly remembered seeing him on InHd a week or so before and was making fun of him.
    Nobody believed me and were all guessing how long it would be before "Joe Bonnarroo's Tour Manager was fired" til he came onstage.
    I REALLY wish there were camera-phones back then!
    That sounds exactly like how I would imagine Sam. Good to hear its confirmed.

    What did/do you do? Sounds like you have some great stories.

    Interesting about REO Speedwagon....I had them pegged for flying coach like Air Supply.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That sounds exactly like how I would imagine Sam. Good to hear its confirmed.

    What did/do you do? Sounds like you have some great stories.

    Interesting about REO Speedwagon....I had them pegged for flying coach like Air Supply.
    I was a Backline Tech (guy who sets up all the gear who you don't notice changing out busted amps during a performance)

    REO guys were ok... They weren't pricks, they just caused a major inconvenience for everyone.
    Took up the ENTIRE stage up at a festival with their cheesy props... Made changeovers a nightmare.
    Actually, I did have to give them a "tough shlt, don't like it, don't play" line when they were trying to prevent us from letting other bands use BACKUP equipment WE rented them! Like we're traveling with gear for EACH individual band ONLY for almost 50 bands... That was strange.
    Other than that, they were cranky, but ok.

    Iron and Wine, I wasn't that surprised they were cool, but I WAS very surprised at how much time they were spending talking music with me.
    Norah Jones is a lot like that too.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I worked for them too.
    Really good guys! I was a fan of Sam's music before, so I knew a little about them, but I was impressed with how down to earth they all were.
    I think they may have even invited me to smoke some weed with them, actually...
    I couldn't even begin to guess how many bands I've worked for, from the biggest stars to garage bands nobody's heard of... I have NEVER seen anything like the spectacle that was Joe Bonnarroo. He wasn't singing back then, either. It was just him solo on the guitar.
    MAN what an a-hole!
    And we were all bltching that REO Speedwagon was taking up all of the space on/backstage for the gear... Til THIS clown came around!
    I was the only person backstage who knew it was him, and that was only because I vividly remembered seeing him on InHd a week or so before and was making fun of him.
    Nobody believed me and were all guessing how long it would be before "Joe Bonnarroo's Tour Manager was fired" til he came onstage.
    I REALLY wish there were camera-phones back then!
    he must have been a kid. He was 13 in 1991. He played solo for a brief time and has been singing since the late 90's and since the late 90's he's usually had a band. His best band by far was with Eric Czar. It doesn't surprise me that he is eccentric. Child prodigies often are. Anyway, my friend has interviewed him in studio on his radio show and he's always been nice. I've only heard him on interviews and he always comes off humble. I guess to everyone but his roadies behind closed doors. Too bad. His show kicked ass on Friday. I will always try to make his shows in NY. One of the best shows out there.

  5. #25
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    he must have been a kid. He was 13 in 1991. He played solo for a brief time and has been singing since the late 90's and since the late 90's he's usually had a band. His best band by far was with Eric Czar. It doesn't surprise me that he is eccentric. Child prodigies often are. Anyway, my friend has interviewed him in studio on his radio show and he's always been nice. I've only heard him on interviews and he always comes off humble. I guess to everyone but his roadies behind closed doors. Too bad. His show kicked ass on Friday. I will always try to make his shows in NY. One of the best shows out there.
    I believe this was 2004 or 05?

    I thought it was just him solo, but maybe he did have a band...
    From what I remember it was only him, no band. I never remembered him singing at all, didn't know he did until I saw this thread.
    If he did have a band on that tour it was overshadowed by his ridiculous behavior.
    Humble is the LAST thing I'd describe him as- that's clearly a front. Not to say the dude isn't great when it comes to scales and arpeggios.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I believe this was 2004 or 05?
    you didn't have a cell phone in 2004-2005???? You sure?

    Joe B was 27 by then.

    I thought it was just him solo, but maybe he did have a band...
    From what I remember it was only him, no band. I never remembered him singing at all, didn't know he did until I saw this thread.
    If he did have a band on that tour it was overshadowed by his ridiculous behavior.
    Humble is the LAST thing I'd describe him as- that's clearly a front. Not to say the dude isn't great when it comes to scales and arpeggios.
    in 2002, Joe was making albums and touring with Eric Czar (one of my favorite bassists) and Kenny Kramme. I loved that band. Who knows... maybe he still did solo performances with his hundreds of guitars surrounding him. I can see how he could be a pain in the ass to those around him. He surely is one-of-a-kind and all that goes with it, including the typical social defects that many child prodigies end up with. Frankly, I couldn't care less about his personality. I don't plan on working with him or being friends with him. All I know is that he is amazing and puts on a fabulous show. Too bad he's not with Czar any more. Czar blows the roof off the place wherever he goes.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY-oJw1wUgc
    Last edited by Dcat; 05-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.

  7. #27
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was there Friday night. Noticed the bus out back too. All I can say is he didn't disappoint. Amazing live. Played many songs I wanted to hear (Woke Up Dreaming, Mountain Time, Just Got Paid and more). Slick coming out was cool....was hoping for Clapton again (knew it wasn't going to happen).

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    you didn't have a cell phone in 2004-2005???? You sure?

    Joe B was 27 by then.
    Yes, I had a cellphone... It didn't double as a video camera. I don't know the exact year... I know it was in Montana at a music Fest and he was a total jackazz.

    Everybody was making fun of him and calling him Joe Bonnarroo. It was a highlight of the weekend.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Yes, I had a cellphone... It didn't double as a video camera. I don't know the exact year... I know it was in Montana at a music Fest and he was a total jackazz.

    Everybody was making fun of him and calling him Joe Bonnarroo. It was a highlight of the weekend.
    Montana? No wonder. If I were stuck there I'd be unhappy too. But again, why would I care about how he treats the support staff? I have no intent to fetch his guitars for him. Completely irrelevant to me. His performances are freaking great and he surrounds himself with damned good musicians. That's what matters.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Montana? No wonder. If I were stuck there I'd be unhappy too. But again, why would I care about how he treats the support staff? I have no intent to fetch his guitars for him. Completely irrelevant to me. His performances are freaking great and he surrounds himself with damned good musicians. That's what matters.
    I see you officially have no clue what you're talking about... Enjoy your concerts... IF the servants show up, that is

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us