Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon Terrorist Attack (MERGED)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    The area has cameras all over it. There is a bank right across the street. Not to mention, it's the finish line so there are lots of civilian video too. Word is that pictures/video is pouring in.
    I am not talking about private video although I am sure there is plenty. I was talking about the Boston PD having video surveillance set up on the streets. In most of Manhattan you cant go anywhere without being on video. Especially downtown. They can get 360 degree views of you.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    One ? - wouldn't there have been ongoing sweeps of the area w/ sniffing dogs? What's the SOP for that?
    There was a dog sweep early.

Looks like the devices were brought in after.

I don't know if "ongoing" sweeps are done or would even help. someone can walk into an area with a backpack.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

I don't know if "ongoing" sweeps are done or would even help. someone can walk into an area with a backpack.
    That's the problem, and it's the thing people don't want to hear, but simply a fact that you really can't defend against something like this.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    That's the problem, and it's the thing people don't want to hear, but simply a fact that you really can't defend against something like this.
    That's the thing. Plus the bombs are so simple to make using plans easily found on the internet and everyday items available to anyone. Anyone from a 15 year old kid to a radical jihadist could have done this. I do have faith they will catch the coward who did this. Unfortunately, even the death penalty is too lenient for a crime like this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    In all honesty, before 9/11 alot of us trusted the Feds...then we met them in the field after....and realized why 9/11 happened. Just sayin.

Clueless.

Like I said, I am cynical and faithless, a fault, not an attribute.

Hope I'm wrong.

-
    Are you thinking he's some kind of Angel of Death hero-wannabe? Because being Costa Rican would eliminate him from a few profiles.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Picture in today's paper shows a bag next to a mailbox. If that's NY, I bet someone would have reported it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Picture in today's paper shows a bag next to a mailbox. If that's NY, I bet someone would have reported it.
    Exactly!

I also have trouble processing the fact that TWO bombs were placed. These things aren't hand-held cigarette lighters. They're kind of big.

I just don't understand how the Boston PD didn't catch the bomber with the bombs on them.

FWIW: I think the bomber is a unibomber type person. No political/religious connection to any organization.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    I just don't understand how the Boston PD didn't catch the bomber with the bombs on them.

Because of the crowd situation and the set up at the end of the race.

it's not as if there is a checkpoint to check bags, someone could easily walk down the street, drop a bag and walk away.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because of the crowd situation and the set up at the end of the race.

it's not as if there is a checkpoint to check bags, someone could easily walk down the street, drop a bag and walk away.
    And everyone had a bag, either holding stuff for themselves or for friends who were running. You can set up gates to keep people out of the course, but not to keep people from getting access to the course.

Now have to think about protecting other large events like, 4th of july, Thanksgiving Day parade, tournament of roses etc.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a boulder of salt, and for what it's worth.....internet investigation speculation is running rampant now.

Take this for what it is, please.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    With a boulder of salt, and for what it's worth.....internet investigation speculation is running rampant now.

Internet and twatter is awful for these things. The bag could be at his feet, meanwhile his face is all over the place. Just like the brother of the Newton killings who had his facebook page plastered everywhere.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Internet and twatter is awful for these things. The bag could be at his feet, meanwhile his face is all over the place. Just like the brother of the Newton killings who had his facebook page plastered everywhere.
    they look innocent - like Swedish grandmothers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    +1. Let the FBI do their job. Monday it was a Saudi national, Tuesday it was a shadowy figure on a rooftop, Wendesday we're trying to discern clues from a picture as if we're forensic experts. Bonus points: the guy in the hat has brown skin.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    +1. Let the FBI do their job. Monday it was a Saudi national, Tuesday it was a shadowy figure on a rooftop, Wendesday we're trying to discern clues from a picture as if we're forensic experts. Bonus points: the guy in the hat has brown skin.
    The amount of baseless 'information' that flies around in the first 24-48h in these tragedies is mind blowing.

Irregardless what 32 says , I trust there are a ton of smart people investigating.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    they look innocent - like Swedish grandmothers.

You get that the marathon is an international event? There were about 25,000 non white people in the city that day. Are they all suspects?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post

This should be almost as valuable to the investigation as Miss Vito's photo of Vincent Gambini in the shower was to his defense of his cousin and Stan Rothenstein.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    This should be almost as valuable to the investigation as Miss Vito's photo of Vincent Gambini in the shower was to his defense of his cousin and Stan Rothenstein.
    Oh, you mean the "case cracker"? I don't think this is quite that good.

Edit: One of the brown fellows is wearing a Bruins hat. That strikes me as suspicious. Everyone knows brown folks don't like ice hockey.
    Last edited by The Hit Stick; 04-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

A six-liter pressure cooker is loosely the size of a basketball and would never fit in a backpack.

The guy in the blue jacket has a duffel bag. That's a possibility.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    It should be pointed out that the authorities have asked for the publics help (likely as they have no leads of their own as yet), and the idea of "crowdsourcing" the visual search for unusual things/suspects in this case should be a net positive overall.

Certainly, some individuals might be false-positived in the short term a la Jewel in Atlanta. But instead of 100 sets of eyes looking over these pictures, we'll have hundreds of thousands of eyes looking them over, and hundreds of thousands more man-hours dedicated to looking at them.

If something is there to be noticed....it almost surely will be.

In any event, better people looking to help that people looking to create the next great conspiracy theory.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR, you must be confusing a backpack with your man purse. Any normal sized backpack can fit a basketball in it.