Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon Terrorist Attack (MERGED)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    By whomever inside Law Enforcement leaked all this information.
    From the sound of the deadspin piece, I don't think anything was leaked. Just like CNN the other day, the Post was dead wrong. They took Internet conspiracy theories and ran with it on the front page. Horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    From the sound of the deadspin piece, I don't think anything was leaked. Just like CNN the other day, the Post was dead wrong. They took Internet conspiracy theories and ran with it on the front page. Horrendous.
    Richard, initial reports of anything major are always exaggerated, but there is usually some truth to it.

The same thing occurred here. The media took some information and went ahead with it. They weren't wrong. The people leaking it most likely didn't realize the ramifications of what they were saying.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Richard, initial reports of anything major are always exaggerated, but there is usually some truth to it.

The same thing occurred here. The media took some information and went ahead with it. They weren't wrong. The people leaking it most likely didn't realize the ramifications of what they were saying.
    Gotcha.

Partly those 'individualS' are responsible, but giving the media any tidbit of information is like giving a pack of ravenous hyenas a KFC chicken tender with promises of the rest of the bucket. The media does what the media wants, without repercussions.
    Something everyone knows, and is a protected basic right in our country. Leak something to them, and they'll run with it.

Law Enforcement should hold themselves to a higher standard.

The people leaking it most likely didn't realize the ramifications of what they were saying.
    Or they get a thrill or some personal satisfaction out of being an "insider"" who "knows more than the public" and wants to "be the source" even if unnamed, etc, etc, etc.

Assuming it was simply a mistake is assuming too much. People in the know often get personal pleasure (and more) from being the in-the-know source to their media friends. Probably a few free dinners out of it too.

Just look at Government as an example, No shortage of leakers there either.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Well, they took some (unverified most probably) information and ran with it, and by the time they ran with it, it may have been grossly exaggerated. So, having a suspect becomes "having a suspect in custody".

Whether the media did the exaggerating, the anonymous source had bad info, or the media got it right but LE did not want that information out, remains to be seen.

In any event, the media is shooting first and asking questions later, which is wholly irresponsible. In the time of the 24 hr news cycle, the days of having a corroborating source and double checking your facts are long gone.

Right now, everyone should hold themselves to a higher standard.

No, you're right. And those people should lose their clearances and privileges.

And yes, people make poor decisions and mistakes, even at the government level. Some of the dumbest people I've ever known work for the Federal government. So do some of the smartest. No different from anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Well, they took some (unverified most probably) information and ran with it, and by the time they ran with it, it may have been grossly exaggerated. So, having a suspect becomes "having a suspect in custody".

Whether the media did the exaggerating, the anonymous source had bad info, or the media got it right but LE did not want that information out, remains to be seen.

In any event, the media is shooting first and asking questions later, which is wholly irresponsible. In the time of the 24 hr news cycle, the days of having a corroborating source and double checking your facts are long gone.
    You guys are criticizing the media, yet it is the FBI that announced 3 press conferences, and cancelled all 3. If there was direct info, alot of the speculation would cease In addition, why was Obama meeting in secret with a Saudi minister? And why was the kid, who was a person of interest in the hospital now being deported? Some very unusual machinations. My prediction; this will be Bengazi 2 An administration cover up to protect it's incorrect position that killing Bin Laden has put an end to Islamic terrorism
    Last edited by kaol; 04-18-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo

Media's not always wrong, and I'm not defending them. The law enforcement official AND the media are to blame for that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by kaol View Post
    An administration cover up to protect it's incorrect position that killing Bin Laden has put an end to Islamic terrorism
    I was unaware the the administration's position was that killing Bin Laden has put an end to Islamic terrorism.

Could you expound on this theory Kenneth?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Something everyone knows, and is a protected basic right in our country. Leak something to them, and they'll run with it.

Or they get a thrill or some personal satisfaction out of being an "insider"" who "knows more than the public" and wants to "be the source" even if unnamed, etc, etc, etc.

Assuming it was simply a mistake is assuming too much. People in the know often get personal pleasure (and more) from being the in-the-know source to their media friends. Probably a few free dinners out of it too.

As much as I knee-jerked to counter....Cant disagree with this viewpoint. Plus there is no shortage of Leggy young Blond media types plying middle aged chooches with flattery, ooohs and aaahs...etc. WHenever there's humans involved, the baser instincts always reveal themselves, you would just hope that in a case like this, discretion would prevail.

Too many agencies, too many agendas.

-

I agree. I simply have no faith that the U.S. Media would ever do so.

And yes, people make poor decisions and mistakes, even at the government level. Some of the dumbest people I've ever known work for the Federal government. So do some of the smartest. No different from anywhere else.
    Indeed. It's human nature to some degree, a desire to be "important" even in a small way, which is why we see so much of it.

Law Enforcement as a whole is exceptional and commendable. I simply place primary responsabillity for yesterday's leakfest on the leaker, not on the media. As an NFL Coach once said, "they are what we thought they were" when it comes to how the U.S. media functions.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    As much as I knee-jerked to counter....Cant disagree with this viewpoint. Plus there is no shortage of Leggy young Blond media types plying middle aged chooches with flattery, ooohs and aaahs...etc. WHenever there's humans involved, the baser instincts always reveal themselves, you would just hope that in a case like this, discretion would prevail.

-
    Well said sir.

Jets Insider VIP
    Richard ....
    This is a first.

The only agenda every American should have now is to find all the people who were involved with perpetrating this attack on a civilian population, and make them suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    This is a first.
    In a thread which centers around a topic of this magnitude of serious and somber proportions, perhaps a little etiquette is required.

Not everything is a joke.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

In a thread which centers around a topic of this magnitude of serious and somber proportions, perhaps a little etiquette is required.

Not everything is a joke, Froggie.
    FIxed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Media's not always wrong, and I'm not defending them. The law enforcement official AND the media are to blame for that mess.
    Oh, I agree. As Green just said in a different post, "too many, agencies, too many agendas". Being that's the case, I'm sure there's always someone (whether acting on his own or otherwise) who's willing to leak some info on the side.

It only takes 1 loose-lipped LEO to spill some info - but it takes the approval of the media bigwigs to run with unsubstantiated info.

Oh, I agree. As Green just said in a different post, "too many, agencies, too many agendas". Being that's the case, I'm sure there's always someone (whether acting on his own or otherwise) who's willing to leak some info on the side.

It only takes 1 loose-lipped LEO to spill some info - but it takes the approval of the media bigwigs to run with unsubstantiated info.
    It should be pointed out that two LEO sources = verified.

It only takes two leakers to provide a "verified" source.

Now, given the scope of things, would we like to bet CNN had two or more sources yesterday?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I was unaware the the administration's position was that killing Bin Laden has put an end to Islamic terrorism.

Could you expound on this theory Kenneth?
    Obama has said many times since then that the war on terror is winding down because al queda is on the run. google it yourself, beth ditto.

All League
    FIxed.

Was that a joke?

Schluberator & Gadfly

Have you seen ebay and profiteers? Shameful.