Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 1138

Thread: Boston Marathon Terrorist Attack (MERGED)

  1. #741
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Yeah that picture is just so gut wrenching.
    Gut wrenching. The mom is smiling and cheering people on and the kid is standing just as most 7 year old would. Right up on the railing as little boys can never sit still and are always climbing on something.

    This guy noticed all the kids around and dropped the bag anyways.

    God bless you little man. I hope you are enjoying yourself and climbing fences in heaven.

  2. #742
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the uncle looks enraged right now.

  3. #743
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    police officer killed (MIT)
    Kid was working MIT security, working towards becoming a Somerville police officer.

    RIP young man.

  4. #744
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,878
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    In the same essay, however, he hinted that he wasn't completely comfortable in the U.S., saying: "I don't have a single American friend, I don't understand them."
    He didn't have a single American friend partly because he didn't smoke and didn't drink. He also would not go shirtless when in the company of women. Islamic law forbade it. He described himself as a very religious Muslim.


  5. #745
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    That uncle is intense.

  6. #746
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,882
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Yeah the uncle looks enraged right now.
    No soup for you.


    -

  7. #747
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    No soup for you.


    -
    Reporter: "Any idea why they would do this?"

    Uncle: "Being a loser."

    I like him.

  8. #748
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,882
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    He didn't have a single American friend partly because he didn't smoke and didn't drink. He also would not go shirtless when in the company of women. Islamic law forbade it. He described himself as a very religious Muslim.

    I would wager many of these terrorists, domestic and foreign, have a history of frustration with women/sex and society in general whether it stems from religious beliefs or personal deficiencies. This has to come out somewhere and they project this angst onto the world around them.

    Plus they are idiots.

    -

  9. #749
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    He didn't have a single American friend partly because he didn't smoke and didn't drink. He also would not go shirtless when in the company of women. Islamic law forbade it. He described himself as a very religious Muslim.

    Apparently the younger one did drink and smoke though and was seemingly normal to classmates. How he was pulled into this seems to be more surprising but if he looked up to his brother, that probably explains it. Messed up world we live in. I just can't understand it

  10. #750
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I would wager many of these terrorists, domestic and foreign, have a history of frustration with women/sex and society in general whether it stems from religious beliefs or personal deficiencies. This has to come out somewhere and they project this angst onto the world around them.

    Plus they are idiots.

    -
    The second point is spot on, the first is of course not. Bunch of people have been on the radio talking about the younger one...close friends, involved in HS sports, never talked about religion or anything...

  11. #751
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Apparently the younger one did drink and smoke though and was seemingly normal to classmates. How he was pulled into this seems to be more surprising but if he looked up to his brother, that probably explains it. Messed up world we live in. I just can't understand it
    Yeah, it's actually pretty amazing how much people can change and be prayed upon. I've certainly seen people I thought I knew really well completely become different people relatively quickly through religion/tragedy/choices.

  12. #752
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I would wager many of these terrorists, domestic and foreign, have a history of frustration with women/sex and society in general whether it stems from religious beliefs or personal deficiencies. This has to come out somewhere and they project this angst onto the world around them.

    Plus they are idiots.

    -
    Sexual oppression and not being able to eat pork. Can't be easy.

  13. #753
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,882
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Reporter: "Any idea why they would do this?"

    Uncle: "Being a loser."

    I like him.
    Indoobedly.

    Say.... with all these relatives checking in from various states...

    This begs the question, are there any Chechyans left in Chechyna?

    Seems like everyone in the world is here and hating it.

    -

  14. #754
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Reporter: "Any idea why they would do this?"

    Uncle: "Being a loser."

    I like him.
    Yea he's probably pretty ashamed. I can't believe they haven't found this guy yet. He was in a shootout with the police, jacked a car and somehow escaped?

  15. #755
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,878
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I would wager many of these terrorists, domestic and foreign, have a history of frustration with women/sex and society in general whether it stems from religious beliefs or personal deficiencies. This has to come out somewhere and they project this angst onto the world around them.
    I agree!

    But in this case these two were/are very religious Muslims. Which is to say, if they were Lutherans or Athiests none of this would have ever happened.


  16. #756
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

    Seems like everyone in the world is here and hating it.

    -
    If Jet fandom was a nation, that would be an apt description for this website.

  17. #757
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,882
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    The second point is spot on, the first is of course not. Bunch of people have been on the radio talking about the younger one...close friends, involved in HS sports, never talked about religion or anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    I've certainly seen people I thought I knew really well completely become different people relatively quickly through religion/tragedy/choices.
    Okee dokee.

    -

  18. #758
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Okee dokee.

    -
    What exactly don't you agree on?

  19. #759
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Yeah, it's actually pretty amazing how much people can change and be prayed upon. I've certainly seen people I thought I knew really well completely become different people relatively quickly through religion/tragedy/choices.
    Religion is certainly the most capable of completely transforming one's personality and identity. While far more benign, when someone becomes "born-again" they literally become a different person and it becomes impossible to interact with them in the same manner as which you did previously. It's a personality transplant. I would imagine "radicalization" as the same except with far more dire consequences.

  20. #760
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Religion is certainly the most capable of completely transforming one's personality and identity. While far more benign, when someone becomes "born-again" they literally become a different person and it becomes impossible to interact with them in the same manner as which you did previously. It's a personality transplant. I would imagine "radicalization" as the same except with far more dire consequences.
    Yeah, I mean, I don't really see the jump to violence. I don't really understand how people can change like that. My point was, it is certainly clearly possible to happen, and swiftly at that.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us