Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon Terrorist Attack (MERGED)

@NBCNews: DEVELOPING -- 'Extremely dangerous': Gunshots reported on MIT campus http://t.co/7I9vT29Il6

CAMBRIDGE -- An MIT police officer was hit by gunfire late Thursday night, a Cambridge Police dispatcher said, and the campus was placed under an alert.

According to a tweet from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, “there is a report of an active shooter in the vicinity” of Building 32, the renowned Stata Building.

Police officers and canine units swarmed the campus, and a big swath of Vassar Street was blocked.

There was no information immediately available on the officer’s condition.

Lisa Wangsness of the Globe staff contributed to this report.
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-19-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Interesting article about the guy in that awful picture who had both of his legs blown off:

Boston Bombing Victim in Iconic Photo Helped Identify Attackers
    By Asjylyn Loder and Esmé E. Deprez - Apr 18, 2013
    Minutes before the bombs blew up in Boston, Jeff Bauman looked into the eyes of the man who tried to kill him.

Just before 3 p.m. on April 15, Bauman was waiting among the crowd for his girlfriend to cross the finish line at the Boston Marathon. A man wearing a cap, sunglasses and a black jacket over a hooded sweatshirt looked at Jeff, 27, and dropped a bag at his feet, his brother, Chris Bauman, said in an interview.

Two and a half minutes later, the bag exploded, tearing Jeff’s legs apart. A picture of him in a wheelchair, bloodied and ashen, was broadcast around the world as he was rushed to Boston Medical Center. He lost both legs below the knee.

FULL COVERAGE: Boston Marathon Bombings

“He woke up under so much drugs, asked for a paper and pen and wrote, ‘bag, saw the guy, looked right at me,’” Chris Bauman said yesterday in an interview.

Those words may help crack the mystery of who perpetrated one of the highest-profile acts of terror in the U.S. since the 2001 assault on New York City and the Washington area, one that killed three people and wounded scores.

While still in intensive care, Jeff Bauman gave the FBI a description of the man he saw, his brother said. Bauman’s information helped investigators narrow down whom to look for in hours of video of the attack, he said.

Video Released

The bureau released video images of two men yesterday. Both men have on hooded sweatshirts under dark jackets; one is wearing a light-colored baseball cap turned backward on his head, while the other is wearing a dark baseball cap facing forward. Both are carrying large backpacks.

“I’ve had many times alone with him, and yes, he told me every single detail,” Chris Bauman said.

Paul Bresson, a spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Washington, declined to comment on specific tips in the continuing investigation. Two FBI agents interviewed at the Boston office declined to confirm or deny the account.

On April 15, Remy Lawler, 25, was standing with Jeff Bauman, said her father, Arthur Lawler, of Amesbury. Shortly before the explosion, Remy, who’s the roommate of Jeff’s girlfriend, Erin Hurley, moved closer to the finish line, away from Bauman and another friend, to take better photographs.

She suffered a baseball-sized shrapnel wound.

Shortly after, Lawler called her mother’s cell phone and left a message in which she cried “Mom! Mom!” Medics could be heard telling her, “You’re going to be all right,” her father said.

‘Feels Guilty’

“She feels guilty about a lot of this -- that she wasn’t with her friends,” Arthur Lawler said.

It would take hours before the Bauman family knew what had happened to Jeff. They learned about it the way much of the world did: the grisly image on television of their son being wheeled from the scene, his lower legs destroyed.

Erika Schneider, Bauman’s sister, saw it first. “She called my mom, freaking out,” Chris said. Chris was working at a McDonald’s near their home in Concord, New Hampshire, when his mother called him.

“Chris, you have to sprint home,” she said. “Something’s happened.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Asjylyn Loder in New York at aloder@bloomberg.net; Esme E. Deprez in New York at edeprez@bloomberg.net

@BreakingNews: Scanner: Police told to power down cellphones following reports of explosive devices, shooting in Watertown - Boston Globe's @Billy_Baker

@johnasbury: One suspect in custody, one on the ground per Boston PD radio. Unknown if any Boston bombing connection.

Rookie
    W
    T
    F

Is going on???

Becoming more and more incredulous by the day.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @BreakingNews: Scanner: Police told to power down cellphones following reports of explosive devices, shooting in Watertown - Boston Globe's @Billy_Baker

@johnasbury: One suspect in custody, one on the ground per Boston PD radio. Unknown if any Boston bombing connection.
    This could be it. Somebody ID'd these guys from the FBI release and they're not going down without a fight.

This **** is crazy... Don't bother with CNN, pull a scanner up and listen

@BostonGlobe: One Marathon bombing suspect has been caught, and another is on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police, officials said.

@billy_baker: BREAKING: Boston Globe reporting these are the marathon bombing suspects. One in custody.

IF these are the dudes that bombed the marathon... Based on all the **** that's been said re: bombs, grenades, etc... Perhaps they were caught trying to plant more around the city

Cops just referred to suspect at large as ''Suspect 2''

Been on the phone with my family in Boston while this was happening. It's definitely them. Suspect #1 is dead. Suspect #2, aka White Hat Bro Dude is at large.

I was at the bar reporting this sh!t and no one cared. 40 minutes later it's on CNN and people start paying attention. Boston Police scanners were the key to this hole thing. They found them after posting those pictures. The gun fight at MIT wasn't coincidence. That never happens. You could listen to the chaos on the police scanners as they were throwing bombs out the car at police. It was crazy.

Basically, Suspect #1 matches the description and was on a cell phone. He wouldn't hang up and they were concerned about him detonating bombs with the cell phone so they shot him.

Suspect #2 is confirmed at the moment as the person they are looking for. I hope they get this fkn bro dude terrorist. Hang him in Copley Square.

We'll see. There's a lot of information coming out that might not be real. But based on police scanners.

1. 2 suspects Middle Eastern
    2. Throwing explosives out of the car

That's what I know based on police scanners.

I've heard that the Suspect #1 was shot and killed.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    This **** is crazy... Don't bother with CNN, pull a scanner up and listen
    There are 79K tuned in! dayum

Ok, the reports that they shot the Suspect #1 are inaccurate. They told him to get undressed. He did. The didn't shoot him because he cooperated.

Suspect #2 might actually be the kid that is missing that people have been looking for. They are saying right now that it's the same kid.

I'm hearing that there's a foot chase on Beacon St.

Also hearing they found additional pressure cooker bomb.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I'm hearing that there's a foot chase on Beacon St.

Also hearing they found additional pressure cooker bomb.
    link to scanner?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    link to scanner?
    Scanner is sort of down. Hearing this from Boston natives.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam

Talking about tactics on the scanner.

K9's out from what I can tell

They know who they are. They have them identified.

And Suspect#2 is in fact the missing student.

BREAKING: Scanner identified the names : Suspect 1: Mike Mulugeta Suspect 2: Sunil Tripathi The missing Brown Student.