Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NFL Draft: Tavon Austin Scores a 7 on the Wonderlic*

All League

2013 NFL Draft: Tavon Austin Scores a 7 on the Wonderlic*

Not sure if anyone put too much stock into this.

2013 NFL Draft: Tavon Austin Scores a 7 on the Wonderlic*
    Posted: 2:58 pm, April 18, 2013 by Kevin Roberts

West Virginia wide receiver has been a hot name all off-season leading up to this monthís 2013 NFL Draft. Until now, it was all mostly positive.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Austin scored an unimpressive seven out of 50 on the Wonderlic test, a test given to all NFL prospects prior to the draft. Austin wasnít alone, however, as highly regarded fellow receiver Cordarrelle Patterson only managed an 11 out of 50, while Justin Hunter scored a 12. Keenan Allen (19) and USCís Robert Woods (23) did much better, per the report.

The Wonderlic test doesnít always tell the whole story, however, as Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino only scored a 16 back when he was a rookie in 1983. On the flip-side, there has been just one perfect score in the testís history, while inconsistent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is one of the more recent so-so NFL players to get an elite score (48).

In other words, it could very easily mean nothing. However, in the NFL world Ė especially around draft season Ė ever single aspect of a prospect is poked and prodded, and their intellect and ability to understand concepts definitely can play into an NFL GM deciding whether or not to draft them.

This news about Austinís score isnít about to knock him out of the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft, but there is a chance it could dampen the rumors of him possibly sneaking into the top-15. Heís likely going to be closer to the 20′s, right around where the Rams and Vikings (who both own two first round selections) will be looking to add some talent at the wide receiver position.

For more on Austin, check out our Tavon Austin scouting report.

All League
    If true, I really don't understand how a guy can be so stupid.

This is an interesting topic because after the guy gets the ball in his hands none of that other stuff matters. He does have to be able to grasp a play book though and I'm sure there are ways to make things easier for people to know what they are to do on a given play. I doubt it will have much of an affect on his draft status.

just a question for the board - do touchdowns count for fewer points if your wonderlich score is less than 10?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    just a question for the board - do touchdowns count for fewer points if your wonderlich score is less than 10?
    I agree, but a 7?? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree, but a 7?? LOL.
    agreed. seems unfathomable. yet, he's a gamer.

funny how rotoworld speculated that teams are very concerned with cordarelle's 11 on the test while tavon's 7 is 'merely a flesh wound' that shouldn't impact his draft stock.

Whatever, if he can count to ten thats all he needs to do.
    1,2,3,4 cut left, catch, run to end zone!
    I know guys that failed school & excelled at being plumbers & electricians.
    Dudes a football WR, just doin what he knows how to do.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Any of you know of a site (or have heard elsewhere) where we can get the current QB's scores?

Austin plays on instinct with the ball. You can't teach his speed or elusiveness. West Virginia ran a complicated offense where he lined up all over the field and he did just fine. Some guys just don't test well on things like this...

5 Highest Scores

Pat McInally P (Harvard) - 50
    Mike Mamula DE (Boston College) - 49
    Ryan Fitzpatrick QB (Harvard) - 48
    Benjamin Watson TE (Georgia) - 48
    Kevin Curtis WR (Utah St) - 48

5 Lowest Scores

Oscar Davenport QB (North Carolina) - 6
    Frank Gore RB (Miami) - 6
    Edward Prather (Mississippi St) - 5
    Darren Davis (Iowa St) - 4
    Maurice Claiborne (LSU) - 4

Does the Wonderlic matter much? I think it depends on what position.

thats a horrible score. Just looked at some of the sample questions on the test. Not very difficult

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Whatever, if he can count to ten thats all he needs to do.
    1,2,3,4 cut left, catch, run to end zone!
    I know guys that failed school & excelled at being plumbers & electricians.
    Dudes a football WR, just doin what he knows how to do.
    He can only count to 7.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This is an interesting topic because after the guy gets the ball in his hands none of that other stuff matters. He does have to be able to grasp a play book though and I'm sure there are ways to make things easier for people to know what they are to do on a given play. I doubt it will have much of an affect on his draft status.

I recommend the color-coded wrist band. Two colors: red and green. Stop/Go. Throw some cheese on the field and keep him hungry. I hope he has a financial manager he can trust.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    5 Highest Scores

Pat McInally P (Harvard) - 50
    Mike Mamula DE (Boston College) - 49
    Ryan Fitzpatrick QB (Harvard) - 48
    Benjamin Watson TE (Georgia) - 48
    Kevin Curtis WR (Utah St) - 48

5 Lowest Scores

Oscar Davenport QB (North Carolina) - 6
    Frank Gore RB (Miami) - 6
    Edward Prather (Mississippi St) - 5
    Darren Davis (Iowa St) - 4
    Maurice Claiborne (LSU) - 4

Does the Wonderlic matter much? I think it depends on what position.
    I definitely would have put money on Vince Young being on the second list.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    He got a 6. 14 on the re-take.

Of note, Hakeem Nicks got an 11, and C.J. Spiller and Jeff George a 10.
    Last edited by John_0515; 04-18-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    He had a 9 if I recall until they let him retake it.

I'm finally jumping on the Tavon Austin bandwagon even though his size still worries me from a durability standpoint. I'm just impressed with his flat out game and lately I'm becoming convinced that he'll be very productive in the NFL. He's officially made my short list of players I'd be cool with taking at 9.

He'll be a difference maker from Day 1. I'm all for Taking Austin at 9 and Ertz in Rd 2. Fix the offence in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    He'll be a difference maker from Day 1. I'm all for Taking Austin at 9 and Ertz in Rd 2. Fix the offence in one day.
    Take Mingo or Warmack at 9 and Austin at 13. NFL WR's have to be intelligent in order to be effective this is absolutely going to hurt his draft stock. NFL WR's have to learn terminology and precise route running they can't just get by on pure athelticism like they did in college.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    round 2 is day 2 now