Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If Tyler Wilson, EJ Manual and Matt Barkley are there in the 2nd??

All Pro
    Barkley in a landslide.

I'd be shocked if he's still available though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Barkley

Barkley is off my board unless he's there in the 3rd round. I think I would take Manuel there but Wilson is somewhat tempting too.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Pass on all 3. There is no reason to waste a 2nd round pick on a QB just because we need help at QB. This team needs help at just about every position. Take the BAP. I doubt any of those 3 are BAP when we pick in the 2nd. Hell, I wouldnt take Geno Smith if he is there when we pick in the 2nd round.
    +1 million

Pass on all 3. There is no reason to waste a 2nd round pick on a QB just because we need help at QB. This team needs help at just about every position. Take the BAP. I doubt any of those 3 are BAP when we pick in the 2nd. Hell, I wouldnt take Geno Smith if he is there when we pick in the 2nd round.
    Players on my mock draft spreadsheet between 35-40

DeAndre Hopkins
    Matt Elam
    Zach Ertz
    Alex Okafor
    Cornellius Carradine
    Arthur Brown
    Robert Woods
    Justin Hunter
    Sam Montgomery
    Eric Reed
    Sylvester Williams

I'll be oh so pleased if we take a project QB who has the upside of being mediocre instead of some of the talent I listed. The value is not there at QB and this is a classic case of their value being pushed up due to need.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Players on my mock draft spreadsheet between 35-40

DeAndre Hopkins
    Matt Elam
    Zach Ertz
    Alex Okafor
    Cornellius Carradine
    Arthur Brown
    Robert Woods
    Justin Hunter
    Sam Montgomery
    Eric Reed
    Sylvester Williams

I'll be oh so pleased if we take a project QB who has the upside of being mediocre instead of some of the talent I listed. The value is not there at QB and this is a classic case of their value being pushed up due to need.
    +1

sure seems like a good place to get a quality wr, or even a TE.

All League
    Anyone on that list over another USC qb bust.

Rookie
    Obviously, what is still on the board would affect this decision, but i would be ok with west coast barkley

I think Barkley is the most NFL ready out of the three. EJ Manuel, largest upside. I would probably take either one in the second round, if they were able to get that extra 1st round pick from the Bucs.

Just as a reference (Not saying these will be the starting QBs at the beginning of the year):
    HTML Code:
                                    Overall Round	QB taken
    IND	Andrew Luck		1st	1st	1st
    DEN	Peyton Manning		1st	1st	1st
    KC	Alex Smith		1st	1st	1st
    NYG	Eli Manning		1st	1st	1st
    PHI	Michael Vick		1st	1st	1st
    DET	Matthew Stafford	1st	1st	1st
    CAR	Cam Newton		1st	1st	1st
    ARI	Carson Palmer		1st	1st	1st
    STL	Sam Bradford		1st	1st	1st
    WAS	Robert Griffin		2nd	1st	2nd
    ATL	Matt Ryan		3rd	1st	1st
    SD	Philip Rivers		4th	1st	2nd
    NYJ	Mark Sanchez		5th	1st	2nd
    MIA	Ryan Tannehill		8th	1st	3rd
    TEN	Jake Locker		8th	1st	2nd
    JAX	Blaine Gabbert		10th	1st	3rd
    PIT	Ben Roethlisberger	11th	1st	3rd
    CHI	Jay Cutler		11th	1st	3rd
    MIN	Christian Ponder	12th	1st	4th
    TB	Josh Freeman		17th	1st	3rd
    BAL	Joe Flacco		18th	1st	2nd
    CLE	Brandon Weeden		22nd	1st	4th
    GB	Aaron Rodgers		24th	1st	2nd
    NO	Drew Brees		32nd	2nd	2nd
    CIN	Andy Dalton		35th	2nd	4th
    BUF	Kevin Kolb		36th	2nd	3rd
    SF	Colin Kaepernick	36th	2nd	5th
    SEA	Russell Wilson		75th	3rd	6th
    HOU	Matt Schaub		90th	3rd	5th
    NE	Tom Brady		199th	6th	7th
    OAK	Matt Flynn		209th	7th	12th
    DAL	Tony Romo		UDFA		
    Good value with the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th QB taken

All Pro
    What this list proves to me is that if you want a winning QB, a franchise QB you take him early.

All of the QBs who won a SB recently were top 32 selections.

The Jets need to keep picking QBs until they get one worth keeping.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Tyler Bray. Take him in the 3rd or 4th.
    Amen.

All Pro
    Once again: Let the church say Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Tyler Bray. Take him in the 3rd or 4th.
    this.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    this.
    The kid is First round talent, but has had maturity issues. I say good. We'll take his issues, and hope he grows up with us.

btw, I don't know about you guys, but he reminds me so much of Bernie Kosar, but with a stronger arm...

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    What this list proves to me is that if you want a winning QB, a franchise QB you take him early.

All of the QBs who won a SB recently were top 32 selections.

The Jets need to keep picking QBs until they get one worth keeping.
    I keep seeing this statement and I simply do not buy it as being practical at all. Teams do not draft a 1st or 2nd round Qb each year until they find one and in the end the total team talent will be degraded badly by doing that.

We use a 2nd round pick for a Qb this year? The team will make every effort to give this guy a legit chance and that means 3 or 4 years, just like Sanchez had. In that time we bypass better Qb's because we have our QB of the future.

You evaluate Qb's like any other position but the big difference being that if you see a guy you really feel is a true franchise guy you sell the farm to get him.

Have said since the end of the college season that Manuel is going to be the best QB out of this bunch. His best traits will help him in the NFL in a big way.

Barkley's feet are far too slow and his mind isn't quick enough to make up for it. Wilson has everything you would want in a QB with his tough mentality, but he's absolute garbage when it comes to decision making.

Manuel's only flaw is the 20 yard types of throws and he's not garbage at them. If he can figure that out, his other great abilities make him possible to be a top 10 type of player.

Manuel will get taken in the first round though... Teams and scouts understand what he's bringing to the table. The retarded draft sites were the ones that tried to have him in the 3rd round at the end of the college season.

If there was any inkling that someone at 10 would take Manuel, I'd have no problem taking him at 9. QB is the most important position on the field by a mile. Have to get the guy who's going to be good.

Glennon and Nassib are the only 2 other guys who MAY turn out to be anything. Glennon has zero ability to shift in the pocket however, and Nassib can't throw a good ball over 20 yards even though he has the arm. Nassib will end up being Ryan Fitzpatrick in my opinion and it's highly possible that Glennon just busts completely.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Have said since the end of the college season that Manuel is going to be the best QB out of this bunch. His best traits will help him in the NFL in a big way.

Barkley's feet are far too slow and his mind isn't quick enough to make up for it. Wilson has everything you would want in a QB with his tough mentality, but he's absolute garbage when it comes to decision making.

Manuel's only flaw is the 20 yard types of throws and he's not garbage at them. If he can figure that out, his other great abilities make him possible to be a top 10 type of player.

Manuel will get taken in the first round though... Teams and scouts understand what he's bringing to the table. The retarded draft sites were the ones that tried to have him in the 3rd round at the end of the college season.

If there was any inkling that someone at 10 would take Manuel, I'd have no problem taking him at 9. QB is the most important position on the field by a mile. Have to get the guy who's going to be good.

Glennon and Nassib are the only 2 other guys who MAY turn out to be anything. Glennon has zero ability to shift in the pocket however, and Nassib can't throw a good ball over 20 yards even though he has the arm. Nassib will end up being Ryan Fitzpatrick in my opinion and it's highly possible that Glennon just busts completely.
    I agree that Manuel is perhaps the best of the bunch, at least I have come to like him more. I really disagree that he warrants to be picked at 9 by the Jets.

I agree that Manuel is perhaps the best of the bunch, at least I have come to like him more. I really disagree that he warrants to be picked at 9 by the Jets.

You have to realize that you can't look at the draft that way... Especially in terms of the QB position.

It's simple... Instead of looking at them in terms of rankings, you simply decide if the player is going to be good or not.

For instance, Tyler Bray is undraftable to me. I think he's absolute garbage. I believe he has NO head to play in the NFL and he'll never succeed. And any QB can be average... I mean in any top 10 capacity.

When you decide in your mind that Manuel is the only guy who has the potential to be a top 10 QB, and that the rest of the guys aren't even worth taking because you've predicted that they will bust out, then you MUST get that player. Unless you are deciding that you don't want to take a QB at all.

Some people look at it as though if they take Wilson, they are getting the 5th best QB in this draft, and that is absolutely incorrect. You are getting a guaranteed bust and it's a waste of a pick. That's how the GMs and scouts look at it and that's how fans of the draft should look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    You have to realize that you can't look at the draft that way... Especially in terms of the QB position.

It's simple... Instead of looking at them in terms of rankings, you simply decide if the player is going to be good or not.

For instance, Tyler Bray is undraftable to me. I think he's absolute garbage. I believe he has NO head to play in the NFL and he'll never succeed. And any QB can be average... I mean in any top 10 capacity.

When you decide in your mind that Manuel is the only guy who has the potential to be a top 10 QB, and that the rest of the guys aren't even worth taking because you've predicted that they will bust out, then you MUST get that player. Unless you are deciding that you don't want to take a QB at all.

Some people look at it as though if they take Wilson, they are getting the 5th best QB in this draft, and that is absolutely incorrect. You are getting a guaranteed bust and it's a waste of a pick. That's how the GMs and scouts look at it and that's how fans of the draft should look at it.
    i could see idzik pulling the first shocker of the draft by taking manuel at 13. mingo at 9, manuel at 13.

All Pro
    I keep seeing this statement and I simply do not buy it as being practical at all. Teams do not draft a 1st or 2nd round Qb each year until they find one and in the end the total team talent will be degraded badly by doing that.

We use a 2nd round pick for a Qb this year? The team will make every effort to give this guy a legit chance and that means 3 or 4 years, just like Sanchez had. In that time we bypass better Qb's because we have our QB of the future.

You evaluate Qb's like any other position but the big difference being that if you see a guy you really feel is a true franchise guy you sell the farm to get him.
    Maybe you're right.

But for me, drafting Tyler Wilson in round 2 this year would not prevent me from taking one next year if the right opportunity presented itself.

I would keep firing bullets until I hit the target because, really, not much else matters in this league anymore unless you have a QB who can dominate. The days of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer and Rex Grossman going to the Super Bowl are over.