Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best baseball movie: 61* / 42 / or ...?

Veteran

Best baseball movie: 61* / 42 / or ...?

Haven't seen 42 yet but know its great. My fav is 61*, though it reminds me how I hate the politics in professional sports.
    Hornsby and Teeter were known and registered KKK members. Both HOFers
    Mantle used Amphetamines and steriods. HOF first ballot
    Roger Maris. Clean classy record setter. Not in.

Cooperstown is an example of BS mixed with politics and is shameful.
    Fahq you MLB for politicizing Baseball.

61* rocks as a movie but brings up these emotions everytime I watch it.

Toss-up between Angels in the Outfield and Rookie of the Year. Prolly Rookie if I had to choose one.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    Haven't seen 42 yet but know its great. My fav is 61*, though it reminds me how I hate the politics in professional sports.

42 is awful IMO. Could have been much more powerful, a real letdown. In terms of baseball movies 61* blows it out of the water. In terms of racial movies Remember the Titans and even the Ernie Davis movie is much better.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post
    42 is awful IMO. Could have been much more powerful, a real letdown. In terms of baseball movies 61* blows it out of the water. In terms of racial movies Remember the Titans and even the Ernie Davis movie is much better.
    The Express was brilliant. Ernie Davis felt the real brunt of racism. And overcame.
    Your the first to tell me that 42 is a let down thou.

The Express was brilliant. Ernie Davis felt the real brunt of racism. And overcame.
    Your the first to tell me that 42 is a let down thou.
    I enjoyed The Express, just didn't know how widely regarded it was outside of myself. For 42, I guess I would say it was OK. I was expecting so much more going in I suppose just because I love Robinson's story--and I feel like they left a whole lot out. IDK. Not saying don't see it, you should, but 61* is certainly a much better baseball movie.

Field of Dreams... My favorite anyway...

Sandlot is a close 2nd...

All Pro
    Pride of The Yankees

All League

No one should make the HOF based on one season. Sorry, Maris should not be a HOFer.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    No one should make the HOF based on one season. Sorry, Maris should not be a HOFer.
    2 seasons, back to back MVP. But no, Maris is not a HoF player.

I never really heard Mantle steroids before. I heard he was freakishly strong because he grew up in a coal town, and he was the fastest player in the Yankee organization.

All of baseball used little pills. Were they illegal? Players have always taken whatever they could for an advantage. I don't even care about steroids until they were illegal. If they weren't flatly illegal, why not? For a couple million and national fame for something not against the law, who wouldn't?

Hall Of Fame
    I heard 42 was a letdown too. But I haven't seen it myself yet so I will have to wait till I see it.

My favorites are Field of Dreams and A League of Their Own.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Field of Dreams... My favorite anyway...
    yep, my #1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    2 seasons, back to back MVP. But no, Maris is not a HoF player.

I never really heard Mantle steroids before. I heard he was freakishly strong because he grew up in a coal town, and he was the fastest player in the Yankee organization.

All of baseball used little pills. Were they illegal? Players have always taken whatever they could for an advantage. I don't even care about steroids until they were illegal. If they weren't flatly illegal, why not? For a couple million and national fame for something not against the law, who wouldn't?
    The games Mantle missed in 1961 were from an absess caused by back alley shots of an amphetamine/steroid mix. Sad really what Mick would put himself through to keep up that image. He was a great ball player w/o that crap.

ddnyjet, I completely agree with you on A League of Their Own. I watch it once a year.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Eight Men Out

I'm not sure what you mean by "politics". I do know that the HOF voters do have a bunch of silly rules.

Maris was not a HOFer. He only had 1 other season where he even hit 30 HR, he only had one other season where he had 80+ RBIs. He also was hurt quite a bit and only played the equivalent of 9 MLB seasons. His numbers are actually quite similar to Danny Tartabull or Bobby Bonilla, or Cecil Fielder.

I love The Natural. Though I did think that 61* was quite good, too.

Field of Dreams is the greatest baseball movie ever and it's even considered one of the best American films ever. This shouldn't even be up for debate.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Field of Dreams is the greatest baseball movie ever and it's even considered one of the best American films ever. This shouldn't even be up for debate.
    I will put The Natural up with Field of Dreams.

Great cast, well shot, the amazing ending. Not the heart wrenching "Have a catch with your Dad" moment, but amazing none the less.

Not on the same level, but Major League was one of the funnier movies I have ever seen. It's one where if I'm flippin through the channels late at night and it's on HBO (not the TNT version) I wind up watching it.

None of the above.

1. Major League
    2. Bull Durham
    3. Mr. Baseball
    4. The Scout

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    None of the above.

1. Major League
    2. Bull Durham
    3. Mr. Baseball
    4. The Scout
    You think The Scout is better than The Natural or Field of Dreams. We are simply going to have to agree to disagree.