Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rb Chris Ivory

Veteran

Rb Chris Ivory

RFA Chris Ivory visited the Jets on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    RFA Chris Ivory visited the Jets on Friday.
    I want us to change our philosophy and value our picks, however if we are goin for a RB in round 2 and don't want to take a risk then I like Ivory.

Is Blount not worth a look as part of the Revis trade?
    Last edited by Harrier; 04-13-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Typo

There is simply WAY too much value at the RB position in this draft to use a 2nd round pick to acquire chris ivory.

There will be 3-5th round RBs who will be excellent NFL players, albeit there is more risk with drafted players then with Ivory, a second round pick is ludicrious for a player of his talent

I like Ivory, but not as RFA... plenty of RB talent in Draft in lower rounds...

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I want us to change our philosophy and value our picks, however if we are goin for a RB in round 2 and don't want to take a risk then I like Ivory.

I wouldn't touch Blount. They may end up releasing him anyway. He is probably the exact opposite of what our new OC is looking for at the position.

Due diligence... But also says something about how the jets still see their rb position.

Veteran
    I dont know a lot about either one but Ivory seems like he has a lot of the same skill set a Goodson.

Doesnt make much sense to have both especially at that price.

With that said I seem to remember the Jets getting Justin McCarriens for a 2nd when his tender was set as a 1st. Titans fans were pissed.

Maybe we could some how get Ivory for less BUT most likely not.

I think the way of the draft is best.

All League
    Could be just a "get to know you" meeting between Ivory & the FO for a future trade, or if he becomes a FA next year.

This would be a horrible deal to give up a 2nd round pick for this guy.

Like the WHO said -- meet New Boss same as the old boss.

Undrafted Free Agent
    What if the Jets get more picks with the Revis trade and then turn them into more picks by trading down and maybe get an xtra 2nd rounder out of it. This Gm is covering all the possible scenarios. Like him. He would never give up a 2nd rounder the way things stand now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberjet View Post
    What if the Jets get more picks with the Revis trade and then turn them into more picks by trading down and maybe get an xtra 2nd rounder out of it. This Gm is covering all the possible scenarios. Like him. He would never give up a 2nd rounder the way things stand now.
    Thing is, the RFA situation has to get sorted out before the draft (I think the deadline is 19th). So if we want to do anything involving picks it has to be before the draft, not during.

All League
    I think the more likely scenario is that we go with possibility "C" from the Wiki description below. Where we make a trade for Ivory, not forfeiting a 2nd rounder for a "treaded" RB who was originally undrafted, but giving AT LEAST something in return for Ivory since the Saint's hand was forced to tender him for return value instead of possibly losing him for nothing:

"Ivory, who doesn’t turn 25 until March 22, was an undrafted free agent, so the Saints had to give him one of the higher RFA tenders to get any draft-pick compensation if he were to depart New Orleans. By giving Ivory a one-year contract offer, the Saints retain their right to match an offer sheet to him." Link

The Saints are deep @ RB with Thomas & Ingram, so I don't see them wanting to spend $2M+ for a 3rd string RB. Jets can pull a Patsies by initially offering a higher contract, work a trade (5th?) so that Saints get at least something and we get a bruising RB with a few more good years.

Per Wiki:
    RFA: He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a five-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end. (Answer to your question of player not signing tender)

Examples of possible outcomes

In addition to the following outcomes, if a player does not receive an offer sheet from his original team, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. If a player signs the offer sheet from his original team, he remains with that team.

A)Team declining to match offer sheet. Carolina Panthers cornerback Ricky Manning, Jr. was a restricted free agent in the 2006 offseason. Based on the tender placed on Manning by the Panthers, the team would receive a third-round pick in the NFL Draft if Manning signed with another team. On April 21, the Chicago Bears signed Manning to an offer sheet - a five-year contract worth up to $23 million. Although the Panthers had a full week to decide if they wanted to match the offer sheet, they announced on April 24 that they would not match. At this time, Manning became a member of the Bears and the Panthers received a third-round draft choice in the 2006 draft from Chicago.

B)Team matching offer sheet. Arizona Cardinals offensive guard Reggie Wells was a restricted free agent in the 2006 offseason. On March 17, the Buffalo Bills signed him to an offer sheet - a five-year deal worth approximately $18 million. Four days later on March 21, the Cardinals matched the Bills' offer sheet for Wells, and he reverted to the Cardinals.

C)Team consummating a trade. The Miami Dolphins offered wide receiver Wes Welker a second-round tender in 2007. Although it was widely rumored that the New England Patriots would offer Welker a seven-year, $35 million deal, the Patriots ultimately traded their second- and seventh-round draft picks to the Dolphins for Welker, signing Welker to a five-year, $18 million contract.

Here's another link answering that question on NFL.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Just because the Saints put the price to sign him at a second rounder tender, doesn't means they won't accept less than that at some point. (trade i I believe saints are right against the cap and they have some rb's that are higher on depth chart than him.( Pierre Thomas, Darren sproles and Mark Ingram. If Jets can get him for a fourth rounder you would be against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Just because the Saints put the price to sign him at a second rounder tender, doesn't means they won't accept less than that at some point. (trade i I believe saints are right against the cap and they have some rb's that are higher on depth chart than him.( Pierre Thomas, Darren sproles and Mark Ingram. If Jets can get him for a fourth rounder you would be against that.
    interesting point. do you know what kind of player he is?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    interesting point. do you know what kind of player he is?
    I would be lying if I could tell you what kind of player he is. What I do know is a lot of NFl teams have an interest in him. ( so many teams last year were ready to pounce if Saints cut him)
    When that many teams are interested in a player that tells me he must be pretty good. So Jets kicking the tires with him isn't a bad move on their part.

Also so many teams bring in these restricted FA not for this year, but they are looking down the road. He will be unrestricted Fa in 2014. (do your recruiting now)

By end of the year he will have a little over 300 carriers for his career. That is so little mileage on a RB legs that he going to be very appealing to any team that might have an interest. (has a lot of football still left in his body)
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-13-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I would be lying if I could tell you what kind of player he is. What I do know is a lot of NFl teams have an interest in him. ( so many teams last year were ready to pounce if Saints cut him)
    When that many teams are interested in a player that tells me he must be pretty good. So Jets kicking the tires with him isn't a bad move on their part.

Also so many teams bring in these restricted FA not for this year, but they are looking down the road. He will be unrestricted Fa in 2014. (do your recruiting now)

By end of the year he will have a little over 300 carriers for his career. That is so little mileage on a RB legs that he going to be very appealing to any team that might have an interest. (has a lot of football still left in his body)
    Jordan had less then that when your Raiders signed him..

with the physical out of the way, when the Jets are on the clock in the 4th round and there's nobody there to pick that they love, this trade makes loads of sense

@RichCimini: Saints RFA RB Chris Ivory visited #Jets yesterday. Compensation is 2nd-round pick, but they WON'T give up a 2. Perhaps lesser comp in trade.

@RichCimini: #Saints have crowded backfield -- Ivory, Ingram, Sproles, Thomas. Gut feeling is they'd take a 4th R for Ivory. #Jets

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @RichCimini: Saints RFA RB Chris Ivory visited #Jets yesterday. Compensation is 2nd-round pick, but they WON'T give up a 2. Perhaps lesser comp in trade.

@RichCimini: #Saints have crowded backfield -- Ivory, Ingram, Sproles, Thomas. Gut feeling is they'd take a 4th R for Ivory. #Jets
    anyone know what type of rb he is? can he catch?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    anyone know what type of rb he is? can he catch?
    He has 3..