Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 126

Thread: Background Checks Shot Down

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Not sure this is accurate. I think most responsible tax paying Americans
    Do not support this bill.

    the polls you speak of, I am not convinced are accurate.
    Here is the poll from Quinnipiac.

    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1877

    Here is the thing; if you want to say that the poll results are skewed and its not 90% thats fine. So how far off do you believe the results are? Even if the polls are wrong by 20% (which would make it one of the most inaccurate surveys done in recent memory) it would still place the population overwhelmingly in favor of these background checks.

    I like a good conspiracy theory like the next person but that stretches credibility.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 04-17-2013 at 08:16 PM.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Here is the poll from Quinnipiac.

    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ReleaseID=1877

    Here is the thing; if you want to say that the poll results are skewed and its not 90% thats fine. So how far off do you believe the results are? Even if the polls are wrong by 20% (which would make it one of the most inaccurate surveys done in recent memory) it would still place the population overwhelmingly in favor of these background checks.

    I like a good conspiracy theory like the next person but that stretches credibility.
    I'm old school....guns rights etc. Quinipiac? I wonder if they question people in Texas and Florida or just NY, NJ and Conn.

    Gun control would not have helped in Boston for example. Evil people are evil.

    I respect your opinion.... I want to be safe too. NYC, DC etc.... No guns is good law.

    suburbs of Albany or Charlotte NC, not sure I agree.

  3. #23
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm proud that the enemies of second amendment rights got defeated today. In no way shape or form, do I support any of the Newtown-families attempts to abridge my liberties. I hope they all fail. All this talk of "compromise" is complete BS. They've offered no concessions from their side. All they want from gun-owners is surrender. Well, **** them.

    I'm keeping my half-a-loaf.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I'm proud that the enemies of second amendment rights got defeated today. In no way shape or form, do I support any of the Newtown-families attempts to abridge my liberties. I hope they all fail. All this talk of "compromise" is complete BS. They've offered no concessions from their side. All they want from gun-owners is surrender. Well, **** them.

    I'm keeping my half-a-loaf.
    understand this; your liberties are not the only liberties that matter. Your right to own a gun is not more important than my right to life. You are entitled to your rights as long as your rights do not infringe upon mine.

    Example; freedom of speech does not afford us the ability to say anything we want. You cannot yell fire in a movie theater when there is none. You cannot make terrorist threats.

    Owning a gun is a right we have in this country. Allowing lunatics or criminals to purchase guns without background checks at gun shows infringes on my basic rights.

    You do not need to make any concessions in the bill that was defeated by the NRA today unless you support allowing anyone and everyone to purchase weapons.

  5. #25
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    7,729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    understand this; your liberties are not the only liberties that matter. Your right to own a gun is not more important than my right to life. You are entitled to your rights as long as your rights do not infringe upon mine.

    Example; freedom of speech does not afford us the ability to say anything we want. You cannot yell fire in a movie theater when there is none. You cannot make terrorist threats.

    Owning a gun is a right we have in this country. Allowing lunatics or criminals to purchase guns without background checks at gun shows infringes on my basic rights.

    You do not need to make any concessions in the bill that was defeated by the NRA today unless you support allowing anyone and everyone to purchase weapons.
    What an absolutely ridiculous assertion. Your "right to life" means that others can't purchase guns? You could get hit by a car tomorrow -- does that mean your "right to life" means others should not be able to purchase cars?

    Liberals such as yourself scream and wail about the injustice of muslims being profiled for the actions of a few, yet here you are advocating for a law that would profile the 99.9 percent of responsible gun owners for the actions of a few.

    What a joke.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,641
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    What an absolutely ridiculous assertion. Your "right to life" means that others can't purchase guns? You could get hit by a car tomorrow -- does that mean your "right to life" means others should not be able to purchase cars?

    Liberals such as yourself scream and wail about the injustice of muslims being profiled for the actions of a few, yet here you are advocating for a law that would profile the 99.9 percent of responsible gun owners for the actions of a few.

    What a joke.
    Would you trade background checks for Voter ID laws?

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Affordable Care Act

    LOL
    +1....Obama's sleazy tactics are what do him in. He will never, ever change. It's who he is. This gun bill was terrible legislation. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. By late next year he'll be a lame duck and we'll all breathe a sigh of relief.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    understand this; your liberties are not the only liberties that matter. Your right to own a gun is not more important than my right to life. You are entitled to your rights as long as your rights do not infringe upon mine.
    Are you alive?

    Then my rights haven't 'infringed' upon yours, have they?

    Example; freedom of speech does not afford us the ability to say anything we want. You cannot yell fire in a movie theater when there is none. You cannot make terrorist threats.

    Owning a gun is a right we have in this country. Allowing lunatics or criminals to purchase guns without background checks at gun shows infringes on my basic rights.

    You do not need to make any concessions in the bill that was defeated by the NRA today unless you support allowing anyone and everyone to purchase weapons.
    this is either 1) misinformed, or 2) duplicitous. The whole sale banning of weapons and standard-capacity magazines we're in this bill. "No concessions", you say. Why should I concede the ability to own the best self-defense technology I can have? Why should I be relegated to defending my life with second-rate technology? So you and other hand-wringers can feel safe at night?

    We've 'conceded' enough over the years. In my mind, we're at the "not-one-more-inch" point. The POTUS and his cronies speak of "compromise" and "common sense", yet the bill they propose offers no compromises, just a set of demands they insist we acquiesce to. There's no "common sense" in this bill, just raw, exploitable emotion. None of the provisions of this bill would've stopped Adam Lanza's mother from legally purchasing weapons. Yet, somehow, I'm to believe that the whole Newtown crime could've been avoided if we just had these "common sense" laws

    Your side doesn't seek "compromise". The only compromise they're interested in is; we want to completely disarm you, but here's a "compromise", you can keep some of your icky guns if we stick our noses into every single aspect of your life. Isn't that fair?

    Piss off.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    What an absolutely ridiculous assertion. Your "right to life" means that others can't purchase guns? You could get hit by a car tomorrow -- does that mean your "right to life" means others should not be able to purchase cars?

    Liberals such as yourself scream and wail about the injustice of muslims being profiled for the actions of a few, yet here you are advocating for a law that would profile the 99.9 percent of responsible gun owners for the actions of a few.

    What a joke.
    Amazing.

    Let's try this again. We enjoy the constitutional right of freedom of speech yet there are limitations to that right. One of the limitations is that you cannot make terrorist threats. Why? because it potentially put s people at risk. Irresponsible actions threaten the rights of others. Allowing mentally ill or convicted felons to purchase guns because there are no background checks is an absolute, 100 percent irresponsible action that threatens the basic rights of anyone around them.

    As for your other comments, when you started the paragraph with liberals such as yourself, I stopped reading.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    For those of you who like polls

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/161813/fe...-problems.aspx



    As I suspected.

    I wish our POTUS and Congress would focus on what people really think matters. I understand that 90% might want better background checks but that 90% is of a small minority that believe guns are a problem. When the POTUS goes on rants about doing what the public wants maybe he should check the polls.

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,350
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Not sure this is accurate. I think most responsible tax paying Americans
    Do not support this bill.

    the polls you speak of, I am not convinced are accurate.
    Just like the polls Romney didn't think were accurate?

  12. #32
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    can someone who knows the details of the bill break it down for me?

    I'm a firm believer in the 2nd with reasonable registration and background checks. And, no I don't think that stops tragedy's like Newtown

    Theres so much noise on both side, I'm actually just trying to find out what's was in the bill that was objectionable.

    Thanks.

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mainly Obama. After all, he is the President. I know you are going to disagree but sooner or later people will stop making excuses for him. He alienates the opposition. Tries to fight everything in the court of public opinion. Clinton and Reagan both faced fierce opposition and managed to make significant compromise.
    +1

    Here in New York State, Governor Andrew Cuomo knew he had the votes to pass his Safe Act. Obama just winged it and lost. There's an article in today's NY Times showing that the votes were never there for Democrats in the first place. Obama effed up big time!

    Obama has no leadership skills, no executive skills, no management skills.

    The net result of all of this is:

    1. The NRA is stronger.

    2. There are more guns in circulation now.


  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    There is blame to go around, but you would be naive to absolve the NRA, one of the most powerful special interest groups in the history of this country, from contributing to the death of this bill.
    You can't blame the NRA.

    You can only blame Obama for not understanding how much power the NRA has.


  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    19,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

    I'm a firm believer in the 2nd with reasonable registration and background checks.
    me too. unfortunately, its always the other **** that they load into proposed legislation that kills it.

    which is most likely what happened here...

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/161813/fe...-problems.aspx



    As I suspected.

    I wish our POTUS and Congress would focus on what people really think matters. I understand that 90% might want better background checks but that 90% is of a small minority that believe guns are a problem. When the POTUS goes on rants about doing what the public wants maybe he should check the polls.

    Thanks for putting up THIS poll. Good job.

    Good managers PRIORITIZE things. Most important or biggest problem first. Obama is not a good manager. He is a grandstander.
    Gun controls are already in place. The assault rifle thing is utter nonsense. Shotguns are used in more deaths than assault rifles. And an AR15 is hardly an assault rifle. Give that to an infantryman and he'd say GFY.

  17. #37
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    me too. unfortunately, its always the other **** that they load into proposed legislation that kills it.

    which is most likely what happened here...
    Thats what I mean, What else was in there?

  18. #38
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mainly Obama. After all, he is the President. I know you are going to disagree but sooner or later people will stop making excuses for him. He alienates the opposition. Tries to fight everything in the court of public opinion. Clinton and Reagan both faced fierce opposition and managed to make significant compromise.

    Now he is going to give a speech in the Rose Garden and parade the Newtown families. There are just certain ways to go about things.
    Agree completely. He has proven himself to be a terrible leader when it comes to the legislature -- he's arrogant, duplicitous, and a downright phony. He's quick to demonize the other side while publicy lamenting Washington's divisiveness. The most transparent presidency ever" is anything but that. He's enamoured with his own celebrity and expects the whole country to fall in line like they do at his orchestrated campaign events, and when that doesn't happen he fails to realize its his own fault.

    I can't stand his leadership style.

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Agree completely. He has proven himself to be a terrible leader when it comes to the legislature -- he's arrogant, duplicitous, and a downright phony. He's quick to demonize the other side while publicy lamenting Washington's divisiveness. The most transparent presidency ever" is anything but that. He's enamoured with his own celebrity and expects the whole country to fall in line like they do at his orchestrated campaign events, and when that doesn't happen he fails to realize its his own fault.

    I can't stand his leadership style.
    His speech after the defeat was embarassing, at a minimum, not presidential.

    He throws victims up as martyrs... as being a victim overrides the constitution.

    No one ..."doesn't care" about shootings. we all care. But do we ban pressure cookers now?

    Then his comment about "His Administration' will do it without congress.

  20. #40
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    His speech after the defeat was embarassing, at a minimum, not presidential.

    He throws victims up as martyrs... as being a victim overrides the constitution.

    No one ..."doesn't care" about shootings. we all care. But do we ban pressure cookers now?

    Then his comment about "His Administration' will do it without congress.
    his speech just now in Boston wasn't much better....nasty, nasty guy when he doesn't get his way

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us