Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Background Checks Shot Down

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Register every gun purchase with the serial number and bore to the owner and make the owner liable for any crime committed with their gun. The responsible gun owner is fully protected.

No background checks needed.
    So when someone steals your car and kills someone you should go to jail?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A distasteful aspect of President Obama’s personality reared its head Wednesday, providing insight into why bipartisan success so often eludes him. Surrounded by family members of the Newtown victims, Obama charged that his foes had “willfully lied” to block “common-sense gun reform.”
    In truth, the Manchin-Toomey amendment didn’t pass because Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, fearful that a GOP amendment relaxing concealed-carry laws might pass, insisted that all amendments would need 60 votes. The background check Obama railed about mustered but
    Earlier this year, the president argued that Newtown survivors and other victims of gun violence “deserve a vote.” Yet as a former law professor should know, a vote doesn’t guarantee the outcome you want.
    Alas, Obama has a hard time believing there can be honest disagreement with him. So he doesn’t spend much time trying to persuade. Instead, whether it’s the Supreme Court or a Republican he disagrees with, he impugns opponents in public.
    That may help explain why this week the Senate had a gun bill that failed, even as a bipartisan compromise on immigration was announced: On immigration, Democrats wanted a deal, so they largely kept Obama out of it. On guns, he’s been front and center. Seems to make a difference.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The situation in Boston right now is why I support the 2nd amendment. If I had to be holed up in my house with knowledge that a murdering psychopath is running around my neighborhood with the police struggling to find him, a gun would be my last line of defense. I'm sure there are gun owners in the Boston suburbs right now who are glad they have additional protection in their house.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    So when someone steals your car and kills someone you should go to jail?
    If someone steels your gun and a jury with a high likelihood of having gun owners on it finds you were liable you certainly should pay. I'm pretty comfortable a jury of peers is capable of dealing with circumstances around the theft and getting the liability right. What are you afraid of? Seems like an awful lot of guns that were "stolen" were legally purchased by family members and stolen by family members who commit crimes with them.

Any liability trial is likely to have gun owners on it and if it turns out you're criminally liable I have no problem with a jury who finds that way putting your ass in jail. I have no problem with putting drunk drivers who kill people or lend their cars to drunks going to jail.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 04-19-2013 at 02:26 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    The situation in Boston right now is why I support the 2nd amendment. If I had to be holed up in my house with knowledge that a murdering psychopath is running around my neighborhood with the police struggling to find him, a gun would be my last line of defense. I'm sure there are gun owners in the Boston suburbs right now who are glad they have additional protection in their house.
    Well said! You have been crushing it in this thread. I have nothing to add.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How exactly did the proposed Federal legislation prevent the citizens of Boston from having guns for protection?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It failed to pass the Democratically-controlled Senate. Don't buy into Obama's rhetoric. If he had all the Dems on board this would have been a home run. All they needed was 4 more Dem votes and to peel off one more R (which actually wouldn't have been difficult). But Obama has to come out and blame Republicans because that's been his M.O. since Nancy Pelosi gutted Obamacare. He has no control over his own party, and it kills him.
    Democrats are starting to look into the future.

Remember in 1994 when they passed the first Assault Weapons Ban? Most of the Senators and Congressmen who voted in favor of it were never re-elected.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    How exactly did the proposed Federal legislation prevent the citizens of Boston from having guns for protection?
    Breath. Your wasting it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well we found four Democrats with common sense. Besides why come up with more laws when they don't enforce the ones on the books already. Case in point where are all the arrests for the murders in Obama's home town Chicago. More Democratic two face LIES!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bingo.

The bill never mentioned taking away guns even if Glenn Beck, Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh and other intellects have told us so.

The people of Boston who are not drooling lunatics or ex-cons would still have been able to have weapons with this bill.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    A distasteful aspect of President Obama’s personality reared its head Wednesday, providing insight into why bipartisan success so often eludes him. Surrounded by family members of the Newtown victims, Obama charged that his foes had “willfully lied” to block “common-sense gun reform.”
    In truth, the Manchin-Toomey amendment didn’t pass because Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, fearful that a GOP amendment relaxing concealed-carry laws might pass, insisted that all amendments would need 60 votes. The background check Obama railed about mustered but
    Earlier this year, the president argued that Newtown survivors and other victims of gun violence “deserve a vote.” Yet as a former law professor should know, a vote doesn’t guarantee the outcome you want.
    Alas, Obama has a hard time believing there can be honest disagreement with him. So he doesn’t spend much time trying to persuade. Instead, whether it’s the Supreme Court or a Republican he disagrees with, he impugns opponents in public.
    That may help explain why this week the Senate had a gun bill that failed, even as a bipartisan compromise on immigration was announced: On immigration, Democrats wanted a deal, so they largely kept Obama out of it. On guns, he’s been front and center. Seems to make a difference.
    ....that could explain why the bill failed. Oh, and the hundreds of millions that the NRA spends on buying politicians and advertisements (but shhh, don't tell conservatives that the NRA bastardizes the political process in the same way
    unions do. Remember it's only wrong when the other side does it).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    ....that could explain why the bill failed. Oh, and the hundreds of millions that the NRA spends on buying politicians and advertisements (but shhh, don't tell conservatives that the NRA bastardizes the political process in the same way
    unions do. Remember it's only wrong when the other side does it).
    It's lazy to blame the NRA for this. Massively so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are absolutely part of the reason why this bill failed. Never said they were solely responsible for it and stated as much in a prior post. But to pretend that the most powerful special interest group in the country had no tangible affect on this process is to be naive in a way that is reminiscent of a 5 year old on Christmas Eve

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NRA should get credit for spreading their message louder and better than the rest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are absolutely part of the reason why this bill failed. Never said they were solely responsible for it and stated as much in a prior post. But to pretend that the most powerful special interest group in the country had no tangible affect on this process is to be naive in a way that is reminiscent of a 5 year old on Christmas Eve
    The AARP got involved?

who knew.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't handle the fact that Obama is a ****ty president, can you?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about this yesterday. What would you rather have? No guns in existence or every person that is a danger to society placed where they should be. Either jail or the nut house. I understand neither is a possibility.

I would put the dangerous people away. Which is why fixing our current check system and how we deal with mental health would be more productive than just adding a new law. Fix/enforce the laws we have. Don't come up with new broken ones.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Lets make sure we do nothing to prevent people who are insane and dangerous from buying a gun.

Let the eagle soar.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Lets make sure we do nothing to prevent people who are insane and dangerous from buying a gun.

Let the eagle soar.
    You're an idiot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're an idiot.
    As are you.