Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 126

Thread: Background Checks Shot Down

  1. #101
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Where can I read it?

    actually what's wrong with asking you guys? You seem pretty knowledgable.

    Why the hostility bro?
    It's frustration. Not with you personally (well, a little TBH), but moreso because I feel this is pretty indicative of a large chunk of the voting population. On most issues. It's just pure laziness.

    If you care about an issue, wouldn't it make sense to take even the minimal effort it costs to get information on the bill? Is your Google broken? Even if you can't manage to find the whole direct text of the proposal, there are plenty of resources (and I don't mean msg board posts) available out there to gather the data. Sometimes that entails going to multiple sources, knowing that most, if not all, will present it with bias by spinning the language and/or conveniently leaving out pieces. But if you read enough, from multiple vantage points, you can usually piece together the truth and then decide. Is it easy? No. But IMO, worth the effort, which really isn't that much relatively, especially when this is so important.

    This issue was a perfect example of an ignorant voting populace. People were up in arms that it wasn't passed, because "90% of the people support stronger background checks". Problem is, that was only a piece of the overall bill. Folks got warm and fuzzy feelings because of that single poll number, and buzz words like "bipartisan" and "compromise". Truth is, it was all BS and political posturing from both sides of the issue. And knowing enough, even as a supporter of the background check portion, I personally thank goodness this crap bill did not pass. What rustled me even more was the public backlash from so many people who so apparently had no clue what was in the bill, other than a surface understanding that they saw in the headlines.

    Sorry, but to hear you ask, and ask again, and then complain that you aren't getting the information you need from people here struck me as silly. Were you going to just take whatever you were told by whatever poster at face value? Even if (despite the tiny odds) you got accurate, complete info from someone here, where do you think that person got it? I took your comment as you essentially whining that we didn't do your homework for you.

    It's pretty easy on this board to see which posters do complete research, and which ones simply soak in the BreitbartFoxNewses or the CNNHuffPos only and then repeat what they hear/read with no original thought behind any of it. And then there's those that don't even do that much. Is that the group you want to settle into?
    Last edited by JetPotato; 04-22-2013 at 09:18 PM.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    It's frustration. Not with you personally (well, a little TBH), but moreso because I feel this is pretty indicative of a large chunk of the voting population. On most issues. It's just pure laziness.

    If you care about an issue, wouldn't it make sense to take even the minimal effort it costs to get information on the bill? Is your Google broken? Even if you can't manage to find the whole direct text of the proposal, there are plenty of resources (and I don't mean msg board posts) available out there to gather the data. Sometimes that entails going to multiple sources, knowing that most, if not all, will present it with bias by spinning the language and/or conveniently leaving out pieces. But if you read enough, from multiple vantage points, you can usually piece together the truth and then decide. Is it easy? No. But IMO, worth the effort, which really isn't that much relatively, especially when this is so important.

    This issue was a perfect example of an ignorant voting populace. People were up in arms that it wasn't passed, because "90% of the people support stronger background checks". Problem is, that was only a piece of the overall bill. Folks got warm and fuzzy feelings because of that single poll number, and buzz words like "bipartisan" and "compromise". Truth is, it was all BS and political posturing from both sides of the issue. And knowing enough, even as a supporter of the background check portion, I personally thank goodness this crap bill did not pass. What rustled me even more was the public backlash from so many people who so apparently had no clue what was in the bill, other than a surface understanding that they saw in the headlines.

    Sorry, but to hear you ask, and ask again, and then complain that you aren't getting the information you need from people here struck me as silly. Were you going to just take whatever you were told by whatever poster at face value? Even if (despite the tiny odds) you got accurate, complete info from someone here, where do you think that person got it? I took your comment as you essentially whining that we didn't do your homework for you.

    It's pretty easy on this board to see which posters do complete research, and which ones simply soak in the BreitbartFoxNewses or the CNNHuffPos only and then repeat what they hear/read with no original thought behind any of it. And then there's those that don't even do that much. Is that the group you want to settle into?
    Sorry man, to be honest the past few weeks I really haven't had 2 seconds to take a dump never mind research the issue. I look at a message board similar to a group of friends, we discuss issues and since there are a few guys out here I respect I thought I'd ask.

  3. #103
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,973
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    And then there's those that don't even do that much.





    -

  4. #104
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Sorry man, to be honest the past few weeks I really haven't had 2 seconds to take a dump never mind research the issue. I look at a message board similar to a group of friends, we discuss issues and since there are a few guys out here I respect I thought I'd ask.
    Don't take my occasional crankiness too hard. In fact, don't even consider it. I look at a message board a little differently than you do - more like a place to put words. Don't take any of it personally for that reason.

  5. #105
    The problem is they don't enforce the laws they have now. Just ask the Mayor of Chicago how many arrests have been made? Just make new laws because we can't or wont enforce the old ones.

  6. #106
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,784
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    The problem is they don't enforce the laws they have now. Just ask the Mayor of Chicago how many arrests have been made? Just make new laws because we can't or wont enforce the old ones.
    I really don't care about this issue. There are 250 million+ guns out there and it would take 100+ years to get them all off the streets. and that's if no more guns were sold staring today. And that ain't gunna happen. So whatever.

    But having said that... Do you just hit ALT+G and the paragraph above displays on the webpage?. Because that paragraph is like "The" NRA talking point. That paragraph is on every US based message board. Everyone, cooking, p0rn, baseball, knitting, German history, you name it and there it is.

    BTW, I do not see how that statement applies to gun sales and background checks.

    Do you think if the background check law was passed gun shop owners would ignore a failed background check and sell a gun to a nut or a felon?

    Not bloody likely.

    And if as you say "the laws aren't or won't be enforced" then why do you care?

  7. #107
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,408
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Obama wants your guns.

    He's so crafty that he's waited 5 years to do so. He didn't do it when he was first elected...because people would have expected him to do that.

    Right after he does that, he's gonna ban free speech and voting. But he'll do that 17 days before he elects himself king in 2016.

    Mwa-ha-ha-ha.
    HA! You don't "elect yourself king"!

    You enjoy trolling on certain topics, don't you?

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Don't take my occasional crankiness too hard. In fact, don't even consider it. I look at a message board a little differently than you do - more like a place to put words. Don't take any of it personally for that reason.
    No problem.

    I really do like reading reasonable posts here, so maybe you're the yin to my yang. (No homO)

  9. #109
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,557
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    No problem.

    I really do like reading reasonable posts here, so maybe you're the yin to my yang. (No homO)
    Oh please. If anything, I'm the yang.

  10. #110
    Where were the back ground checks in Boston. The FBI knew about this asswipe 2 years ago and sat on their thumbs. Wow what great intelligence agencies we have!

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Where were the back ground checks in Boston. The FBI knew about this asswipe 2 years ago and sat on their thumbs. Wow what great intelligence agencies we have!
    Captain know it all You like making assumptions as long as they're negative. Minnesota deserves you.

  12. #112
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,786
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Captain know it all You like making assumptions as long as they're negative. Minnesota deserves you.
    He has a point. All this national registry or whatever they are proposing will do is just make things worse. Our gov't is woefully inept at such things. Just look up how many violators of the current system have been prosecuted. It is a waste.

    Let's improve/enforce what we have. See how that goes and then revisit this in say 10 years or so. Try to think of it as a study, you libs love those things.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He has a point. All this national registry or whatever they are proposing will do is just make things worse. Our gov't is woefully inept at such things. Just look up how many violators of the current system have been prosecuted. It is a waste.

    Let's improve/enforce what we have. See how that goes and then revisit this in say 10 years or so. Try to think of it as a study, you libs love those things.
    Background checks that will actually cross state lines will make things worse for who exactly? Improvement would be a national registry. I agree enforcement could improve as well, but what gun control has nothing to do in relation with the Boston bombings.

  14. #114
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,513
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Background checks that will actually cross state lines will make things worse for who exactly? Improvement would be a national registry. I agree enforcement could improve as well, but what gun control has nothing to do in relation with the Boston bombings.
    more catch n' release "gold"-lecturing the law abiding and giving cover to the crooks as usual

    that's the left for ya - legal gun owners need to be logged like the Nazis logged their enemies yet illegal aliens
    should not have ID for anything - just show up and vote and milk "the system" til its dry while you're at it

    try cleaning out the rats nests in high crime urban areas first before you try to grab guns from legal owners

    speaking of rats

    next in line -take some of the rat-eared dog-eater's fast n furious guns off the streets
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 04-24-2013 at 10:06 PM.

  15. #115
    Ah more from the straw man. Law abiding and lazy gun owners seem to synamous through the years, a child killing his friend with their Daddy's rifle, a survivalists mother with more guns than she would ever need got into the hands of her disturbed son. I could go on and on. Gun ownership has become a fad and we as a nation suffer daily.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    more catch n' release "gold"-lecturing the law abiding and giving cover to the crooks as usual

    that's the left for ya - legal gun owners need to be logged like the Nazis logged their enemies yet illegal aliens
    should not have ID for anything - just show up and vote and milk "the system" til its dry while you're at it

    try cleaning out the rats nests in high crime urban areas first before you try to grab guns from legal owners

    speaking of rats

    next in line -take some of the rat-eared dog-eater's fast n furious guns off the streets

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I really don't care about this issue. There are 250 million+ guns out there and it would take 100+ years to get them all off the streets. and that's if no more guns were sold staring today. And that ain't gunna happen. So whatever.

    But having said that... Do you just hit ALT+G and the paragraph above displays on the webpage?. Because that paragraph is like "The" NRA talking point. That paragraph is on every US based message board. Everyone, cooking, p0rn, baseball, knitting, German history, you name it and there it is.

    BTW, I do not see how that statement applies to gun sales and background checks.

    Do you think if the background check law was passed gun shop owners would ignore a failed background check and sell a gun to a nut or a felon?

    Not bloody likely.

    And if as you say "the laws aren't or won't be enforced" then why do you care?
    It is really simple why make more laws if you don't enforce the ones you have already. BTW I care very much, I care when hundreds of kids are killing each other on the streets of Chicago while the Mayor talks but does nothing.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    It is really simple why make more laws if you don't enforce the ones you have already. BTW I care very much, I care when hundreds of kids are killing each other on the streets of Chicago while the Mayor talks but does nothing.
    This is not solely a Chicago issue, but it's fun right?

  18. #118
    Speaking of guns and security: The residents of Newtown CT have just REJECTED spending additional money for school security. The just defeated budget had a several hundred thound dollar allocation for schools.
    Sorry. Losers. Willing to shill for Obama but NOT WILLING to pay for their own children's safety.
    In Charleston, it was just approved to have police in every school. Real police. Cost? Who cares.
    The rich folk in CT are hypocrits.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Speaking of guns and security: The residents of Newtown CT have just REJECTED spending additional money for school security. The just defeated budget had a several hundred thound dollar allocation for schools.
    Sorry. Losers. Willing to shill for Obama but NOT WILLING to pay for their own children's safety.
    In Charleston, it was just approved to have police in every school. Real police. Cost? Who cares.
    The rich folk in CT are hypocrits.
    Was the budget voted down due to that reason specifically, or was it voted down because in a **** economy, the new budget represented in total around a 5% increase?

    Maybe folks want that security, but want to see cuts in other areas to make up the difference, perchance?

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He has a point. All this national registry or whatever they are proposing will do is just make things worse. Our gov't is woefully inept at such things. Just look up how many violators of the current system have been prosecuted. It is a waste.

    Let's improve/enforce what we have. See how that goes and then revisit this in say 10 years or so. Try to think of it as a study, you libs love those things.
    What we have in terms of gun laws has been gutted by a very effective gun lobby. Look at those with good NRA voting records to see how they vote when it comes to appropriations.

    The government does the bidding of special interests with clout. The gun lobby has been very effective at making sure no gun laws are effective since reducing the guns available to criminals through legal purchasers will ultimately reduce sales.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us