Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 'Bama vs LSU... Chance > Mingo

Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    I just think mingo is way too much of a boom or bust pick and idzik is not going to take that kind of chance with his first pick as jets gm.....as non-sexy as the pick my be, i think he goes warmack or cooper and solidifies that o-line, which needs it...bad!! which is fine with me.
    It amazes me how many people want to bash Sanchez AND the OL. If the OL was "that bad", then how can Mark be held responsible for his horrible season? And if Mark is the worst QB to ever don the uniform, how can you expect the OL to look dominant? And if they BOTH stink, then why are we calling out Rex for a 6-10 season -- he should be given an extension!!

When I look back on last season, I see pass rusher as a bigger void than OL.
    If you want to argue Rex finds other ways to get to the QB, that's a different story. But pound for pound, if we have a way to amp up the pass rush, I'm doing it. I don't think the OL needs some kind of major overhaul -- get some midround talent out there WITH a QB that has half a clue, and I'll be OK going to war with that roster (especially with a competent OC at the reins) . . .

I've watched a lot of games focused on Mingo now and I have to lean towards the idea that he's going to make it... He's very bright, his athleticism is fantastic, AND he has good instincts. He shows the will to make plays and usually guys like that make it work when they have his type of athleticism.

Mingo's strength with his lower half and core is actually pretty solid. He doesn't get tossed around like some would suggest. Where he's weak is when he has to make an arm tackle. That is definitely a negative, but there are plenty of pass rushers in this league who offer less against the run than what Mingo will. We also have a problem maintaining the edge against RB's who get outside and Mingo projects extremely well at stopping that. He can get his body into place and he will be able to stop it.

I like Jarvis Jones, don't get me wrong, it's just that his upside is 10 sacks. He's simply not athletic or fast enough at the next level. I wouldn't hate Jones getting picked, I just don't see it happening. One thing I also don't like that much about Jones is that he's a full year older than Mingo. Jones will be 24 during the year and that position significantly goes downhill at 30.

Also philosophically with the way the NFL is moving towards more mobile QB's, it's important to have mobile Dlinemen rushing the passer. Mo Wilk and Coples definitely fit that mold, so would Mingo.

Again, I put them as below... And oddly enough, barring injury I think they will all be pretty good at the very least. Even though the percentages say otherwise. Also worth throwing in that I believe Mingo won't be as good in year 1 as some of the others. Actually think Ansah and Mingo will struggle at first. Jones will be as good as he's going to get day 1.

1. Dion Jordan
    2. Ziggy Ansah
    3. Mingo
    4. Jones

And if we are going to take a guard, I think they will both be top 5 at the position so I'd be fine. I still would prefer Cooper though. Cooper is a more consistnent pass blocker. Chance screws up pass blocking from time to time.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 04-19-2013 at 04:34 PM.

All Pro
    the more i go back and watch, the more I'm falling in love with Warmack all over again. Are you kidding me? We'd have to crazy to pass on Chance! We have a glaring need at guard, and this guy's a destroyer.... Ivory/Goodson/Powell running behind our oline with chance IS cash money.

Why we would play russian roulette with these red flagged guys is beyond me this man's available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf-jzv6zOzk

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    the more i go back and watch, the more I'm falling in love with Warmack all over again. Are you kidding me? We'd have to crazy to pass on Chance! We have a glaring need at guard, and this guy's a destroyer.... Ivory/Goodson/Powell running behind our oline with chance IS cash money.

Why we would play russian roulette with these red flagged guys is beyond me this man's available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf-jzv6zOzk
    Warmack is indeed a stud. Can't argue if he's picked. He's worth it.