Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I the only one who doesn't hate the QB class?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Your not alone at all. I honestly cant explain the hate for this class. If you do draft comparisons there are at least 6 guys here right on par with a LOT of the QB to have got in the 1st in the past. Unlike 09 this is a really deep QB draft you just need to weed out the bad apples. All I can say is people are lazy and just dont want to. They are hung up on the low end and paying no attention to the high or even reasonable.
    This is where a lot of people agree with you and disagree with you. Yes this year is littered with guys that have gone in the 1st round in the past. We simply think a lot of these guys that have gone 1st round in the past were huge mistakes. Gabbert, ponder, locker all guys who were picked in the 1st round for need, all with some questions about them.

What we are saying is we do not want a gabbert or ponder or locker and we do not need to reach for a Qb just because our starter is garbage. It's a fools errand to use higher picks 1st or even 2nd on developmental qb's that are going to be playing too soon. Let other teams make this mistake I'll glady take a great player in the 2nd round and bid my time to get a really good qb.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This is where a lot of people agree with you and disagree with you. Yes this year is littered with guys that have gone in the 1st round in the past. We simply think a lot of these guys that have gone 1st round in the past were huge mistakes. Gabbert, ponder, locker all guys who were picked in the 1st round for need, all with some questions about them.

What we are saying is we do not want a gabbert or ponder or locker and we do not need to reach for a Qb just because our starter is garbage. It's a fools errand to use higher picks 1st or even 2nd on developmental qb's that are going to be playing too soon. Let other teams make this mistake I'll glady take a great player in the 2nd round and bid my time to get a really good qb.
    You may wait forever and never see that guy though. Next years class doesnt look better at all. Who is to say the next year or the year after that one will be there. At some point you have to take a QB. This is not a bad class to do that. As stated it is very deep in late 1st 2nd round talent. If you can get a an average starter out of it your be crazy to pass because your looking for fools gold. Not every team is like Seattle finding starters in 4-7th rounds every few years. Sometimes you need to make that leap of faith otherwise it never comes.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I almost have Dysert to the Jets etched in stone in round 4. But the draft always throws some curveballs so what do I know?

I can't imagine they don't take a QB considering Garrards age, Sanchez's ability, & Greg McElroy's ability. They will need someone moving forward though.

My Projected Jets QB Competition (in no particular order):
    x Sanchez
    x Garrard
    x McElroy
    x Dysert/Nassib/Manuel (I think they grab one of these guys)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    No you're not alone

I think the QB position gets ridiculously hyped every year due to a number of factors.

I actually think this could be a great year to go passer because there will clearly be some future stars in this class and unlike in previous years the position doesn't appear to be getting over-valued....of course that theory could be blown out come Thursday if there's a similar run on QB in the first round that there's been the last few years but I can't help but think there are guys who I'd have over the likes of Locker,Gabbert,Ponder or Weeden that likely are available after the 20th or 25th pick.In short there could be good value to be had.

I really like Glennon.I could live with Geno Smith but he screams average at best to me and there's much to like about EJ.Not a Nassib fan at all but would be all over Barkley in the 2nd or Wilson,Bray,Jones and even Matt Scott from late 2nd round down.

The thing is....We apparently had the WORST QB in the league last year yet still won 6 games.Our defence should still be good enough to keep even a flailing offence in with a chance.Hopefully special teams bounce back too although they were far from terrible.I still think Sanchez can turn it around but if he doesn't how much better does our QB play need to be?...even an average starter like Alex Smith would've had us winning 10 games last year IMHO.People seem to think our next QB needs to be Andrew Luck or RGIII but the reality is a 10 to 15%.improvement at QB ought to make a huge difference even if the rest of the offence just stands pat.If we can add another playmaking wideout and bolster the running game and OL a fraction then we can only improve on offence.

I think a QB this year any pick after 20th could be a smart move
    I also like Glennon. 2nd or 3rd rder

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not in love with this class, and I don't see any superstar players there. But there is some depth and a few of these guys can turn into very good players.

If by some miracle, Barkley is still on the board when the Jets pick in Round 2, it's an easy pick to make.

I'll take Landry Jones in 4. Matt Scott in 4 or 5.

Give these guys a year on the bench or at least half a hear on the bench to get up to speed and they might turn into winning players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you just want to look at best-case projections, sure, this QB class is fine. But that's not the way it works.

Geno Smith is the only guy that should go in the first round, everyone else has glaring weaknesses. It's not like there are just things they have to work on. That only applies to Geno Smith, who needs to work on his throws outside the numbers and operating from under center. The rest have major holes in their game.

The Flacco-Glennon comparison is an insult to Flacco. Flacco has better-than-average- mobility. Glennon's mobility is non-existent. Glennon has a great arm, but he doesn't have Flacco's arm.

Which brings me to the biggest problem with this group of QBs. None of them have elite skills. They are what they are: Mid-round QB prospects. 95% of whom never amount to anything. I feel like fans of QB needy teams like our own have fallen into the mindset of "One of these guys has to be good." But you can't look at it that way.

I now feel that the best QB play for this draft would be for a team to draft Manuel in the 2nd and stash him on the bench for a year or two like the 49ers did with Kaepernick. He never developed properly at FSU, but a team with the coaching staff to groom him could turn him into a quality starter in a few years. Geno Smith anywhere in the 1st round is fine, and if a warm weather team wants to take a flyer on Barkley in the 2nd, that's OK too. The rest of these guys should be avoided.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    If you just want to look at best-case projections, sure, this QB class is fine. But that's not the way it works.

Geno Smith is the only guy that should go in the first round, everyone else has glaring weaknesses. It's not like there are just things they have to work on. That only applies to Geno Smith, who needs to work on his throws outside the numbers and operating from under center. The rest have major holes in their game.

The Flacco-Glennon comparison is an insult to Flacco. Flacco has better-than-average- mobility. Glennon's mobility is non-existent. Glennon has a great arm, but he doesn't have Flacco's arm.

Which brings me to the biggest problem with this group of QBs. None of them have elite skills. They are what they are: Mid-round QB prospects. 95% of whom never amount to anything. I feel like fans of QB needy teams like our own have fallen into the mindset of "One of these guys has to be good." But you can't look at it that way.

I now feel that the best QB play for this draft would be for a team to draft Manuel in the 2nd and stash him on the bench for a year or two like the 49ers did with Kaepernick. He never developed properly at FSU, but a team with the coaching staff to groom him could turn him into a quality starter in a few years. Geno Smith anywhere in the 1st round is fine, and if a warm weather team wants to take a flyer on Barkley in the 2nd, that's OK too. The rest of these guys should be avoided.
    Agree with all of this.....Geno in the 1st, Manuel 2nd is all I would really like

Would also be OK with taking a shot on Bray in the middle rounds.....I think he's really the only other guy with any real potential to be a great QB

There are a few late round guys I'm cool with, but the opportunity cost really needs to be considered for rounds 1-5

If we're taking a QB in this draft in the first few rounds, we have to go about it like this guy could and should be our future......Can you really picture Mike Glennon, for example, leading us to the Superbowl?? Cause I sure as hell can't.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith is the only guy that should go in the first round, everyone else has glaring weaknesses.
    Geno has as many question marks as most of this year's crop. Awful footwork, questionable mental composure, and played in a gimmicky system with good playmakers.

I don't know how you could say with certainty he's any more polished than, say, a Tyler Wilson. Not that either Geno or Wilson are exceptionally polished.

But yes I agree there are some downright stinkers in this class (Nassib, Barkley).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Geno has as many question marks as most of this year's crop. Awful footwork, questionable mental composure, and played in a gimmicky system with good playmakers.

I don't know how you could say with certainty he's any more polished than, say, a Tyler Wilson. Not that either Geno or Wilson are exceptionally polished.

But yes I agree there are some downright stinkers in this class (Nassib, Barkley).
    I don't really care about how polished a QB is at this point, just as long as the issues are small and/or fixable.....I'm more concerned with the potential a QB prospect has down the line with good coaching

Footwork, very correctable......

Questionable Mental composure (?) is for the teams to figure out through interviews but Geno seems like a great teammate and hard worker from just about anyone that matters (Former coaches and teammates).....That article bashing him was pure BS from a guy that didn't have any first-hand knowledge

The gimmicky-system Geno Smith ran can now be the future of the NFL if you want to build your offense like that, IMO, so that's a non-issue to me......Build your offense around your QB's strengths like San Fran did with Kaepernick. He also threw out of the pocket most of the time when it came down to it and played extremely well for the most part. Good point about playmakers around him possibly boosting his stats a little, but I can't really hold it against him

Basically, I can possibly see greatness in Geno, Manuel, and Bray in that order......That's really about it
    Last edited by King Koopa; 04-21-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are glaring weaknesses! I think fan like all of us are who get caught up in the draft start to lose perspective after a while.

None of these guys are worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. None. None of them are complete players. By complete I mean would meet the minimum NFL standards in all important aspects of their game. Some are tall with a big arm and nothing else. Some are smart and small and can't make all the throws. Etc. Being big/strong or small/smart/ weak isn't going to cut it.

I'd take a flyer on one of the tall/strong guys in the 4th round but they'll no doubt all be gone by then. I'd just as soon pick up an UDFA like Jeff Tuel and call it a day with this QB class. We've got better fish to fry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    These are glaring weaknesses! I think fan like all of us are who get caught up in the draft start to lose perspective after a while.

None of these guys are worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. None. None of them are complete players. By complete I mean would meet the minimum NFL standards in all important aspects of their game. Some are tall with a big arm and nothing else. Some are smart and small and can't make all the throws. Etc. Being big/strong or small/smart/ weak isn't going to cut it.

I'd take a flyer on one of the tall/strong guys in the 4th round but they'll no doubt all be gone by then. I'd just as soon pick up an UDFA like Jeff Tuel and call it a day with this QB class. We've got better fish to fry.
    That is 99.9% of all prospects man. What your expecting out of a QB doesnt happen in the draft. ALL college QBs have glaring weaknesses. Most 1st rounders of the past didnt have more going for them then some of these guy. The lover boys of next years draft all have GLARING weaknesses too. At what point do you think we find a QB. Trading for one gets you nothing and it is very rare a good one hits the market. The draft is your best option.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    I don't really care about how polished a QB is at this point, just as long as the issues are small and/or fixable.....I'm more concerned with the potential a QB prospect has down the line with good coaching

Footwork, very correctable......

Questionable Mental composure (?) is for the teams to figure out through interviews but Geno seems like a great teammate and hard worker from just about anyone that matters (Former coaches and teammates).....That article bashing him was pure BS from a guy that didn't have any first-hand knowledge

The gimmicky-system Geno Smith ran can now be the future of the NFL if you want to build your offense like that, IMO, so that's a non-issue to me......Build your offense around your QB's strengths like San Fran did with Kaepernick. He also threw out of the pocket most of the time when it came down to it and played extremely well for the most part. Good point about playmakers around him possibly boosting his stats a little, but I can't really hold it against him

Basically, I can possibly see greatness in Geno, Manuel, and Bray in that order......That's really about it
    I like Bray as well, but I think I see a lot of Jay Cutler in him. Which is not a good thing.

I consider Geno's college offense gimmicky not because I dont see more teams going spread, but because it relied too much on screens and YAC which aren't easy to come by even in the best NFL spread offenses. That, and he did it all from shotgun. The composure thing has been stated more than just in that one racist's article.

If I had to rank my top three it would be
    1- Wilson
    2- Manuel
    3- Bray

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate the idea of taking a QB before the 3rd round. I just dont like this class as a whole

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I like Bray as well, but I think I see a lot of Jay Cutler in him. Which is not a good thing.

I consider Geno's college offense gimmicky not because I dont see more teams going spread, but because it relied too much on screens and YAC which aren't easy to come by even in the best NFL spread offenses. That, and he did it all from shotgun. The composure thing has been stated more than just in that one racist's article.

If I had to rank my top three it would be
    1- Wilson
    2- Manuel
    3- Bray
    Wilson would be my 4th guy.....He was really damn good 2 seasons ago and pretty good considering the circumstances last season at Arkansas......Just don't see him ever being great, but I think he could be solid in the right NFL system

Bray does have red flags and is a big risk.....But it gets to the point where the risk may be worth the reward. I can see the Cutler thing a little

The Geno-Gimmick system thing I get as well, but I don't really hold it against him.....There is nothing to really show that he couldn't handle a more conventional offense.......Obviously who ever takes him will/should be using a lot of the same concepts he used at WV but the screens and dumpoffs were a little much. I guess we'll just disagree on the composure thing, he's a very experienced starter with nothing but praise from people that matter