Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who doesn't hate the QB class?

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the QB class?

Ok there are no sure things in drafts ever and the closest your going to get is last years draft with Andrew Luck. You can go back to my posts and see I was a huge fan of rg3 early in the college football season and felt he will be a good player in the pros. Even he had some huge doubters. This year I see a lot of good QBs. They aren't as polished as one would like but keep in mind there are lots to like here. Would u take Russell Wilson in the first round knowing what we know now about him? I would.

1. Barkley and Jones were both considered top 10 picks or higher at one point and now can be had with a late first or second round pick.
    2. Glennen has a huge arm and stands tall in the pocket making tremendous gutsy throws while getting destroyed and reminds me of Joe Flacco.
    3. Geno has all the talent in the world to become an elite qb but like everyone not named Andrew luck with have doubters.
    4. Ryan nassib doesn't have the physical tools like the elite prospects do but that doesn't mean he can't play elite. He has great anticipation and makes good throws in small windows.
    5. EJ manuel is a beast and fits the super athlete mode that's popular the last few years. When 49ers drafted kaepernick I was like wtf are they drafting this guy who will never succeed as a starting qb in the nfl. Well I feel the same way about manuel so I could be wrong again.

We need a qb and we are in position to get any of these guys for cheap being that this is considered a step down from last year. If our team ends up drafting any of these QBs I would support them. We will never know how a qb turns out until he plays. If we drafted Russell Wilson last year everyone would have hated that pick and if he had the season he had with the jets we would have been ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ryan View Post
    Ok there are no sure things in drafts ever and the closest your going to get is last years draft with Andrew Luck. You can go back to my posts and see I was a huge fan of rg3 early in the college football season and felt he will be a good player in the pros. Even he had some huge doubters. This year I see a lot of good QBs. They aren't as polished as one would like but keep in mind there are lots to like here. Would u take Russell Wilson in the first round knowing what we know now about him? I would.

1. Barkley and Jones were both considered top 10 picks or higher at one point and now can be had with a late first or second round pick.
    2. Glennen has a huge arm and stands tall in the pocket making tremendous gutsy throws while getting destroyed and reminds me of Joe Flacco.
    3. Geno has all the talent in the world to become an elite qb but like everyone not named Andrew luck with have doubters.
    4. Ryan nassib doesn't have the physical tools like the elite prospects do but that doesn't mean he can't play elite. He has great anticipation and makes good throws in small windows.
    5. EJ manuel is a beast and fits the super athlete mode that's popular the last few years. When 49ers drafted kaepernick I was like wtf are they drafting this guy who will never succeed as a starting qb in the nfl. Well I feel the same way about manuel so I could be wrong again.

We need a qb and we are in position to get any of these guys for cheap being that this is considered a step down from last year. If our team ends up drafting any of these QBs I would support them. We will never know how a qb turns out until he plays. If we drafted Russell Wilson last year everyone would have hated that pick and if he had the season he had with the jets we would have been ecstatic.
    No you're not alone

I think the QB position gets ridiculously hyped every year due to a number of factors.

I actually think this could be a great year to go passer because there will clearly be some future stars in this class and unlike in previous years the position doesn't appear to be getting over-valued....of course that theory could be blown out come Thursday if there's a similar run on QB in the first round that there's been the last few years but I can't help but think there are guys who I'd have over the likes of Locker,Gabbert,Ponder or Weeden that likely are available after the 20th or 25th pick.In short there could be good value to be had.

I really like Glennon.I could live with Geno Smith but he screams average at best to me and there's much to like about EJ.Not a Nassib fan at all but would be all over Barkley in the 2nd or Wilson,Bray,Jones and even Matt Scott from late 2nd round down.

The thing is....We apparently had the WORST QB in the league last year yet still won 6 games.Our defence should still be good enough to keep even a flailing offence in with a chance.Hopefully special teams bounce back too although they were far from terrible.I still think Sanchez can turn it around but if he doesn't how much better does our QB play need to be?...even an average starter like Alex Smith would've had us winning 10 games last year IMHO.People seem to think our next QB needs to be Andrew Luck or RGIII but the reality is a 10 to 15%.improvement at QB ought to make a huge difference even if the rest of the offence just stands pat.If we can add another playmaking wideout and bolster the running game and OL a fraction then we can only improve on offence.

I think a QB this year any pick after 20th could be a smart move

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'd like to see EJ in the 2nd

I think the best way to describe this class is that it feels very unsafe to pick a qb and really feel great about it. I believe a starter or 2 will emerge from this draft but its really tough to determine who it will be.

On the draft tracker podcast Bucky brooks described a first round pick as a player that you expect to start immediately, to come onto your team day 1 and make a difference.

A second round prospect is basically just like a first round talent but there are just 1 or maybe 2 aspects missing that stop these players from being elite. Yu still expect them to play a majority of the snaps this season. This second round mentality is where I believe most of the qbs fit in except qbs don't contribute unless they run the wildcat wich makes them borderline 3rd round prospects.

The 3rd round prospects are expected to become starters eventually but for the immediate year are expected to play in spot duty every once in awhile. This is exactly what we saw from Demario Davis last year.

He said 4th-7th round prospects are then taken by teams based on their potential and and this is a good place to start taking risks.

I like glennon, manual and dysert but all of them feel iffy to me. They're not really 1st round type guys but I don't think they stink either.

All League
    i am not falling into the bull$hit trap of pretending this qb class is decent.....they SUCK.

when gil brant says ryan tannehill would easily be the number 1 qb if he was coming out this year...what else do u need???!!!

maybe take a late round pick on a guy like dysert but no way a 1st, 2nd or 3rd on this rotten bunch.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    How much better will next years class be?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    How much better will next years class be?
    lets not ask u...u liked sanchez!!

bridgewater and johnny football are the top2

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ryan View Post

Russell Wilson in the 3rd would have been fine. Just like many of these top rated guys this year....in the 3rd round.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Russell Wilson in the 3rd would have been fine. Just like many of these top rated guys this year....in the 3rd round.
    +1

OR DYSERT IN THE 4TH OR 5TH

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    lets not ask u...u liked sanchez!!

bridgewater and johnny football are the top2
    Offense is for women. Still like Sanchez, I'll stick to it so long as he is a Jet.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 04-19-2013 at 10:55 AM.

It's not about hating or loving the class. Its just realizing that this class does not have Elite QBs like Luck/RG3. It is packed with Tannehill/Ponder/Locker/R. Wilson type prospects that can go either way. Wilson dropped to the 3rd round and I think most of these guys are really good options in the 3rd round. If they pan out great, if not you didn't waste a 1st round pick on a QB with plenty of question marks.

All League
    Offense is for women. Still like Sanchez, I'll stick to it so long as he is a Jet.
    u have a year left at most.

All Pro
    Stanley.

Your not alone at all. I honestly cant explain the hate for this class. If you do draft comparisons there are at least 6 guys here right on par with a LOT of the QB to have got in the 1st in the past. Unlike 09 this is a really deep QB draft you just need to weed out the bad apples. All I can say is people are lazy and just dont want to. They are hung up on the low end and paying no attention to the high or even reasonable.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    u have a year left at most.
    That's all anyone can ask, I still believe it hasn't been all him.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    It's not about hating or loving the class. Its just realizing that this class does not have Elite QBs like Luck/RG3. It is packed with Tannehill/Ponder/Locker/R. Wilson type prospects that can go either way. Wilson dropped to the 3rd round and I think most of these guys are really good options in the 3rd round. If they pan out great, if not you didn't waste a 1st round pick on a QB with plenty of question marks.
    Very accurate description of this group. I'll add one more thing......what bothers me most about all of these guys is that not one of them dominated this past year.

Of all the QB's coming out this year, Zac Dysert is the only qb I would draft. Hope we get him, probably 3rd /4th round. Really like this guy!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Very accurate description of this group. I'll add one more thing......what bothers me most about all of these guys is that not one of them dominated this past year.
    There's another :

Sean Renfree of Duke:

Yet another, but he comes with issues:
    Tyler Bray

Dysert and Renfree are cerebral type QBs :

Bray is a Bret Favre/ Cutler type with less mobility.

That's all anyone can ask, I still believe it hasn't been all him.
    It hasn't been all him it's been a coming together of lots of things but he hasn't had the confidence/maturity/experience/ability to rise above it.I think he gets 5 more games as the starter.

I actually think the QB class is quite deep this year and there are a wide variety of different quarterbacks. The problem is, I just don't know if anyone is ready to step in and start.

I like what I've seen of Nassib but I just don't think he warrants a 2nd round pick. E.J. Manuel looks pretty good but he would need to develop a little more IMO. I like Dysert in the 4th round and I think he fits into the WC scheme.