Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mel Kiper

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    since when do guards or even tackles rank ahead of the skill positions like wr, rb, qb, cb or even lb? the beef usually comes in rounds 4-7 or via fa's. for warmack to go no. 9 or even in the first 10 would mean he had better be the second coming of john hannah or even alan faneca.
    Left tackles are #1 overall more often than WR. When did a CB ever go #1, how often does a CB go top 3?

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    This is getting to be foolish. Which top ten WR carried his team? Which top ten CB carried his team? Other than QB, there is no top ten selection that has reversed the fortunes of an entire team. This happens to be a special year for a couple of guards. I am entirely with you that history does not support high picks for guards or right tackles. The issue is really what the relative value differential to a team would be in picking Warmack or Cooper vs. Worford or Winters. The reality is that Warmack and Cooper will comfortably start as rookies. Worford perhaps. Winters probably not. Couple this with the fact that even the best OLB's on the board will require development and/or position switches and the case becomes stronger for the guards. I personally would go with the high-end OLB/DE. I think they will justify their pick. But it's very hard to argue with the logic of picking Warmack or Cooper. At least in this draft. They are in fact special and will make a difference to any team's OL, particularly the Jets, who have holes in precisely this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    What QB, RB, or WR is there this year. I'd love to get a monster WR. There just isn't one rated there. Every OLB has question marks. There is no QB there. So take the best player. If it is a guard, take the guard. I think our OLine is real shaky and thin. I would be fine if they. Went guard in the first and again in the 4th.
    Agree.

Now that it seems apparent that Revis is a goner, I guess I'll take a stab at their second 1st. This probably is a pipe dream but do believe it is possible that a top notch OLB could still be there at 13?

So Warmack at #9 and a pass rushing OLB at 13. I think that would go a long way toward improving the Jets THIS season. In fact, I think they could be a playoff team. Certainly not a team that's going to win it all, that isn't going to happen, but good enough to win 10 games by great defense, having a productive running game, and keeping the f*cking ball out of the QB's hands.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Now that it seems apparent that Revis is a goner, I guess I'll take a stab at their second 1st. This probably is a pipe dream but do believe it is possible that a top notch OLB could still be there at 13?

So Warmack at #9 and a pass rushing OLB at 13. I think that would go a long way toward improving the Jets THIS season. In fact, I think they could be a playoff team. Certainly not a team that's going to win it all, that isn't going to happen, but good enough to win 10 games by great defense, having a productive running game, and keeping the f*cking ball out of the QB's hands.
    Barring a trade down that would be good for me as well. I would also be on board with trading down a few slots and getting Vaccarro.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Left tackles are #1 overall more often than WR. When did a CB ever go #1, how often does a CB go top 3?
    I just went back to the 60's and the answer is none..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    that would be in direct violation of the terms and conditions I agreed to when signing up for ESPN Insider.

sorry, don't wanna go to jail.
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    since when do guards or even tackles rank ahead of the skill positions like wr, rb, qb, cb or even lb? the beef usually comes in rounds 4-7 or via fa's. for warmack to go no. 9 or even in the first 10 would mean he had better be the second coming of john hannah or even alan faneca.
    tackles definitely rank higher than all of those positions except QB...

Barring a trade down that would be good for me as well. I would also be on board with trading down a few slots and getting Vaccarro.
    That may not be a bad idea what with all the vacancies on the Jets roster right now.

All Pro
    how about 2 pass rushers?

Just know that now the Jets secondary has taken an enormous hit. They have one very good at times and AVERAGE at times also CB, NO safeties, and NO decent slot corner. They'll likely need to invest in a CB if any are available. This is to say nothing about depth.

Secondary is now a huge glaring weakness for the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Just know that now the Jets secondary has taken an enormous hit. They have one very good at times and AVERAGE at times also CB, NO safeties, and NO decent slot corner. They'll likely need to invest in a CB if any are available. This is to say nothing about depth.

Secondary is now a huge glaring weakness for the Jets.
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I think we've been spoiled as fans with Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson at CB, and finally last year with 1 steady and 1 impressive Safety.

Cromartie is at least a solid #1 CB, and Wilson is a decent #2 when compared to the rest of the league (not compared to the standard that was set when Cromartie was an above average 2nd CB here). We could probably use another nickel/slot CB, but we got by last year with the likes of Trufant and Lankster, who I believe are still on the roster.

Dawan Landry will be a good replacement for Bell as the "steady veteran" Safety, and we clearly need to draft another Safety to fill the other spot. If we do that, I think we'll be OK though.

It's probably more accurate to say that our secondary is no longer above average. I wouldn't call it a glaring weakness.