Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Played Golf with an NFL GM...

Jets Insider VIP

Played Golf with an NFL GM...

Played at a buddy's club in Atlanta, a former NFL GM was in our foursome. He saw my Jets hat, towel and headcover etc.. He was pretty outspoken and I didn't inquire as much as he offered his opinion. This is what he said. I thought about not posting this but I will not say his name.

1) Tannenbaum was respected amongst GMs. He has no clue about Idzik.
    I asked about the Sanchez deal and he said.."Yes, big mistake, we all make a few".

2) Rex is a good HC and would land another job in his opinion and should be given time to work through this.

3) I asked about Rex's ability to evaluate talent. he said "All HC's think they can evaluate talent, they usually can't. rex is no different. He said Billicek and a small few can.

4) The truth.. He said and I quote "Hated Sanchez in college and am not surprised by what has happened. In fact, i'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

5) Without a decent QB..NO team can do well. Jets must fix this.

6) Thinks the PATS cheating is not spoken about enough and that Tom Brady should not be a 1st ballot HOFer. Make him sit out like a steroid user at least one round.

Trust me...this happened.

I believe you and most rational posters will feel the same way.
    With that get prepared for the onslaught...

Btw thanks for sharing...
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 04-19-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks very nice post!!!

Thanks for posting! Definitely interesting comments.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Played at a buddy's club in Atlanta, a former NFL GM was in our foursome. He saw my Jets hat, towel and headcover etc.. He was pretty outspoken and I didn't inquire as much as he offered his opinion. This is what he said. I thought about not posting this but I will not say his name.

I asked about the Sanchez deal and he said.."Yes, big mistake, we all make a few".

2) Rex is a good HC and would land another job in his opinion and should be given time to work through this.

3) I asked about Rex's ability to evaluate talent. he said "All HC's think they can evaluate talent, they usually can't. rex is no different. He said Billicek and a small few can.

4) The truth.. He said and I quote "Hated Sanchez in college and am not surprised by what has happened. In fact, i'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

6) Thinks the PATS cheating is not spoken about enough and that Tom Brady should not be a 1st ballot HOFer. Make him sit out like a steroid user at least one round.

Sorry if I'm mistaking you for someone else, but you're not the biggest Rex fan, are you? So what did you think of his "positive" critique of the big guy?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Sorry if I'm mistaking you for someone else, but you're not the biggest Rex fan, are you? So what did you think of his "positive" critique of the big guy?
    It stops and makes you think. I respect his view..he has been to the playoffs many times.

BTW.. I like REX. So when he supportedbRE, I responded about fans who believe he can't evaluate talent and I mentioned 2010. he then said the comment about most coach's etc.

I defer to his judgement. When he talks about due diligence on cash flow, I'll take the lead.

This "former GM" who played golf with Spca tells da truth! lol! He hates the Pats, think they did some underhanded things! OMG! His opinion is very valid because an NFL team fired him for his personnel decisions. He's an insider on the Pats and the draft process in general. He's a hero.

We already know the lone vote against Brady to the HoF. Way to out yourself. You've already prepped your "Why Brady is not a Hall of Famer" article 5-8 years in advance.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-19-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    This "former GM" who played golf with Spca tells da truth! lol! He hates the Pats, think they did some underhanded things! OMG! His opinion is very valid because an NFL team fired him for his personnel decisions. He's an insider on the Pats and the draft process in general. He's a hero.

We already know the lone vote against Brady to the HoF. Way to out yourself. You've already prepped your "Why Brady is not a Hall of Famer" article 5-8 years in advance.
    get pissed

OP played a round of golf with a failed GM who has things to say about both the Jets and Pats. You didn't play golf with an NFL GM, you played with a former GM who has no influence on NFL transactions.

Tom might be a second-ballot? LOL, no.

Tannenbaum was respected among GMs? LOL, no, he's working for an athlete agency, the NFL didn't want him. This is a huge professional step down. There's no way he prefers this to work in the NFL. It's a sad downfall, if anything.

The secret source admitted that it is very difficult to identify talent to the pros, only Belichick and a few others can do it.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-19-2013 at 08:18 PM.

All Pro

It wasn't me, LOL . I never worked for any NFL team, but if 1 wants to talk to me i will listen. To this date, i thought i was the only person who believed that Sanchez wasn't very good at USC.

This whole thread says nothing but is a huge brag for SPCA... it's brag-worthy, no doubt, but whatever some random fired NFL Exec has to say about the current state of the NFL is worthless. No one cares.

Jets Insider VIP
    This whole thread says nothing but is a huge brag for SPCA... it's brag-worthy, no doubt, but whatever some random fired NFL Exec has to say about the current state of the NFL is worthless. No one cares.
    yet you feel a need to post TWICE just to insult someone.

Speaks volumes about you.

yet you feel a need to post TWICE just to insult someone.

Speaks volumes about you.
    No insults at all, actually I think you're a great poster... but posting some things with a fact agenda, I feel the need to respond. It's awesome you played golf with some current and former NFL guys, but I am going to question the validity of things you posted

Veteran

You have a right to an opinion but these comments show you in a mean spirited light; a light similar to the zealot Jets fans who don't tolerate any other opinion other than supreme subjugation to the myth of their truth.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

We all say stupid things when we're gRunK.

SAR I

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    No insults at all, actually I think you're a great poster... but posting some things with a fact agenda, I feel the need to respond. It's awesome you played golf with some current and former NFL guys, but I am going to question the validity of things you posted
    Expect an audit in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    You have a right to an opinion but these comments show you in a mean spirited light; a light similar to the zealot Jets fans who don't tolerate any other opinion other than supreme subjugation to the myth of their truth.
    OK. I'll bite. LOL, what?

You've got a newsletter I'm immediately subscribing to.

You need to post a few more times to really drive home this point.

SPCA created an OP with a multitude of unsubstantiated claims, referenced a former GM, which we as fans cannot consider a valid source of reference when it comes to the Jets. He would like Brady a second-ballot, good for him, it won't happen. Same with Belichick. First ballot. major network coverage, plastered all over the world. Legends. Playing golf with some random fired NFL exec who likes Rex and Tanny only serves to make Jets fans feel good.

Frankly I don't really care, it's the offseason. NFL and CFB guys golf and BS all day. It's CPA's intention to imply that some random dude who hates Belichick represents the thoughts of the NFL - he cheats, nobody likes him! Couldn't be further from the truth.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-19-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Expect an audit in the coming months.
    Lol, well played

OP - nice tidbit, thx 4 sharing