Thread: Examining the DE/OLB candidates Tinstar style

All Pro

Examining the DE/OLB candidates Tinstar style

Barkevious Mingo : I watched 2 games: (Clemson and Arkansas): Best fit IMHO is as the Mike in the Tampa 2 or as the Will in the 43. Poor fit for the 34scheme.

Explosive sideline to sideline defender who can blowup the backfield if allowed to run free unchecked. When engaged by a blocker of any kind,(OL, RB, FB, TE) his effectiveness is neutralized due to his lack of functional strength.

Damontrae Moore : I watched 2 games : (Alabama and Arkansas ) Best fit is 34 OLB weakside :

Solid defender who can get into the backfield and set the edge against the run. Will struggle when engaged with the top tier OTs in the NFL, but will cause his share of havoc if blocked by a TE or RB. Will get better with time and could develop into a terror after a yr or 2 in an NFL strength and conditioning program.

Ezekiel Ansah : I watched 2 tapes : (Notre Dame and Utah State ) Best fit 43 DE against the RT. 34 OLBer strong side :

Explosive, Powerfull instinctive defender who can set the edge and wreck havoc in the offensive backfield going up against ORTs . Can't be blocked by TEs or RBs just too strong and quick.

Bjoern Werner : I watched 2 games : (Miami and North Carolina) Best fit 43 DE and 34 OLBer strong side.

Powerfull Kid who just makes plays. Not flashy not explosive, just a football player who always seems to be in the right place all the time. The 1st name that came to me when i saw this kid was Jeff Lageman.

Jarvis Jones : I watched 2 games: ( Alabama and Florida) best fit is situational pass rusher :

Perplexing kid who shows d the power to run over an OT on his way to the QB but can't set the end against those same OT in the running game. Pass rusher supreme, in the mold of James Harrison.

Dion Jordan : I watched 2 games: (Stanford and Arizona) Best fit is as an OLber weakside in the 34:

This kid is everything Barkevious Mingo is with Strength to take on the OTs. He needs to get stronger and stay healthy, but he has superstar potential to either make a DC look great or get him fired. He needs to increase his strength before his game can truely take off. This kid needs to find himself a strength and conditioning football coach.
    Awesome talent.

All League
    A Mike in a Tampa 2 is Mingo's best fit? I disagree with that 100%. Mingo is strictly an OLB, and a Mike in a Tampa 2 is probably actually about the worst fit possible with his skill set.

100% agree. Although I do feel Mingo would be a great fit at weak side 3-4 OLB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    A Mike in a Tampa 2 is Mingo's best fit? I disagree with that 100%. Mingo is strictly an OLB, and a Mike in a Tampa 2 is probably actually about the worst fit possible with his skill set.
    I didn't say he couldn't play the 43 weakside OLBer position. The biggest problem with Mingo is he has no functional strength. If someone gets their hands on him, he's done. It doesn't matter if it's an OT, RB, FB or TE. IMHO, the best place for him is where he can use his athletic ability . From the Mike in the Tampa 2, he can Derrick Brooks on steriods.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    100% agree. Although I do feel Mingo would be a great fit at weak side 3-4 OLB.
    IMHO, he's a horrible fit in a 34 scheme. I would run at him all day and block him in the passing game with a HB. That kid has zero functional strength at the LOS.

Tinstar....what do you think of Alec Ogletree? Any shot he plays OLB in NFl?

All Pro

Run and Hit

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Tinstar....what do you think of Alec Ogletree? Any shot he plays OLB in NFl?
    Love the player and yes, he could be an above average weakside OLB in the 43 scheme. Personally, i think he could be a better David Harris in our scheme. Harris plays the part of Bart Scott and Ogletree plays the Harris spot.

I see Ogletree as a run and hit Linebacker, not a take on blockers linebacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    IMHO, he's a horrible fit in a 34 scheme. I would run at him all day and block him in the passing game with a HB. That kid has zero functional strength at the LOS.
    He has really good moves and can cover off the edge. He is exactly what we need vs NE and their 100 TEs. You dont need a one dimensional OLB in a 3-4 Mingo is an assignment OLB. Tell him what you want he can do it. That is what Rex looks for in guys. A 200 lb RB isnt going to stop him alone. That is crazy talk right there. He has elite hip movement and can find ways to get to the QB. It also lets Rex plan more 4-3 sets if he wants.

Love the player and yes, he could be an above average weakside OLB in the 43 scheme. Personally, i think he could be a better David Harris in our scheme. Harris plays the part of Bart Scott and Ogletree plays the Harris spot.

I see Ogletree as a run and hit Linebacker, not a take on blockers linebacker.
    I agree. I think if we see a good MLB fall to the 3rd Harris may be a goner. Ogletree isnt likely but Teo or Minter maybe. I could also see Nico or Bostic in the 4th. I wouldnt be shocked one bit if we looked to replace Harris to free up space. I am shocked we didnt rework his deal this offseason.

All Pro
    He has really good moves and can cover off the edge. He is exactly what we need vs NE and their 100 TEs. You dont need a one dimensional OLB in a 3-4 Mingo is an assignment OLB. Tell him what you want he can do it. That is what Rex looks for in guys. A 200 lb RB isnt going to stop him alone. That is crazy talk right there. He has elite hip movement and can find ways to get to the QB. It also lets Rex plan more 4-3 sets if he wants.
    No, Dion Jordan is what you want to go up against NE and all these TEs we can't stop. He can do that and still get over an OT or TE. Mingo can't fight his way out of a paper bag.

He's Iron Pirite, he looks like Gold, smells like gold, but ain't worth a darn.

I agree. I think if we see a good MLB fall to the 3rd Harris may be a goner. Ogletree isnt likely but Teo or Minter maybe. I could also see Nico or Bostic in the 4th. I wouldnt be shocked one bit if we looked to replace Harris to free up space. I am shocked we didnt rework his deal this offseason.
    One guy to keep an eye on 3-4th round...Steve Beauharnais of Rutgers. Just a good, solid player.

All Pro
    We didn't rework Harris's deal because he gone after this yr. It's the only explanation for why you would allow a player like Harris to go into the yr with a cap hit like he has. You can't cut him or trade him due to the dead money left on this yr's cap, and if you restructure him, you only move that money to next yr, so it is what it is. I fully expect the Jets to draft an ILBer somewhere in this draft .

Someone who can run and hit . I like Sio Moore

Disagree on Mingo. No way can he handle being a down lineman, but he would be a terrific LB. We have enough guys that eat double teams. He shows enough, even before adding some strength via NFL strength-conditioning program, holding up against the run to be a dangerous DE/OLB. I trust Rex on defensive prospects to go with the flow. He was right about Coples > Ingram even when I was shaky on it (granted Tony Pauline has asserted that SD has been moronic in their use of Ingram, but that's another conversation entirely...). We'll see what Rex thinks of these prospects soon enough.

All Pro
    I'm going to go ahead and predict none of these guys are on are our roster a week from now.

I recommend checking out some of the "other" names.

J. Collins
    C. Carradine
    T. Long
    C. Washington
    S. Porter
    C. Lemonier
    B. Jenkins
    M. Catapano

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and predict none of these guys are on are our roster a week from now.

I recommend checking out some of the "other" names.

J. Collins
    C. Carradine
    T. Long
    C. Washington
    S. Porter
    C. Lemonier
    B. Jenkins
    M. Catapano
    Collins Washington and Jenkins i like , but the rest you can have.By the way i don't like any of these guys before the 3rd.

Sounds like what Alabama did to Jarvis Jones in the 2nd half of their game. Jones was steamrolled.

All Pro
    If you told me today that with the 9th and 13th pick i could come away with Dion Jordan and Ezekiel Ansah, i would throw a Party and pay.

Those 2 could set the Jets up for years.

If you told me today that with the 9th and 13th pick i could come away with Dion Jordan and Ezekiel Ansah, i would throw a Party and pay.

Those 2 could set the Jets up for years.
    Jordan isnt going to be there at 9. I think Jax takes him.

All Pro
    Jordan isnt going to be there at 9. I think Jax takes him.
    Go away, this is my dream. In my Dream, we Get Dion Jordan, Jonathon Cooper and Ezekiel Ansah with 2 picks.