Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Am I the only one who stopped watching ESPN?

  1. #1

    Am I the only one who stopped watching ESPN?

    Pretty hard to do if you're a sports nerd like myself but I don't even bother flipping to any of those channels anymore. Sportscenter is the same old boring nonsense you can see any of those highlights on local news broadcasts or the internet and 90% of the highlights I could care less about (Baseball Tonight analyzing Pirates/Brewers in May?). Unless the Yankees or Knicks are playing on ESPN I'm not watching.


    The talking heads shows are mindnumbingly bad and they have been the same friggin thing for over 10 years now. Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser I do not give two craps what they think and don't get me started on the walking brainfart Stephen A Smif.

    The schticky stuff they try to do is not funny and stale as hell. And whatever happened to having hot chicks on the channel? If you're gonna bore the hell outta me at least give me some decent eye candy. Suzy Kolber was cute 10 years ago when Joe Willie got drunk and sexually harassed her now if you have HD she could pass for one of the zombies on Walking Dead. I guess I would find Linda Cohn attractive if I was 85.


    Call me crazy but ESPN was alot better in the 90's I don't know why.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 04-21-2013 at 02:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Pretty hard to do if you're a sports nerd like myself but I don't even bother flipping to any of those channels anymore. Sportscenter is the same old boring nonsense you can see any of those highlights on local news broadcasts or the internet and 90% of the highlights I could care less about (Baseball Tonight analyzing Pirates/Brewers in May?). Unless the Yankees or Knicks are playing on ESPN I'm not watching.


    The talking heads shows are mindnumbingly bad and they have been the same friggin thing for over 10 years now. Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser I do not give two craps what they think and don't get me started on the walking brainfart Stephen A Smif.

    The schticky stuff they try to do is not funny and stale as hell. And whatever happened to having hot chicks on the channel? If you're gonna bore the hell outta me at least give me some decent eye candy.


    Call me crazy but ESPN was alot better in the 90's I don't know why.
    Unless it's sporting event I never watch ESPN. Not even sportscenter any more

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Unless it's sporting event I never watch ESPN. Not even sportscenter any more
    I don't know why but Sportscenter is unbearable now.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I don't know why but Sportscenter is unbearable now.
    Before ESPN exploded, do you remember CNN did an 11 pm sports piece with Fred Hickman and Nick Charles? that was good.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,520
    ESPN announcers all want to be celebrities with stupid catch phrases. Plus they kiss the asses of the athletes so much that many of them have lost their ability to be even mildly considered journalists.

    I used to like Stuart Scott and he's become one of the most unbearable at this point. Has anyone seen his stupid poetry schtick? It's a friggin' embarrassment. And Berman used to be good but he hasn't been any good for many years.

    It's a shame because it was once such a great channel.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,619
    I don't watch any of their regular programming anymore. The ass kissing is OUT OF CONTROL. Technically, these people are still sports journalists, and should try to be at least a little impartial. Their programs, sports center in particular, is geared towards 15 year olds.

    I hope the new Fox Sports channel ****ing trounces them.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    ESPN announcers all want to be celebrities with stupid catch phrases. Plus they kiss the asses of the athletes so much that many of them have lost their ability to be even mildly considered journalists.

    I used to like Stuart Scott and he's become one of the most unbearable at this point. Has anyone seen his stupid poetry schtick? It's a friggin' embarrassment. And Berman used to be good but he hasn't been any good for many years.

    It's a shame because it was once such a great channel.
    It really was especially in the mid-90's I remember Sportscenter was appointment viewing for me back then. ESPN officially jumped the shark when it started displaying twitter comments for every little thing. Twitter is for 12 year old girls.


    If you have a penis and a life you have no business being on f-king twitter.

  8. #8
    Overexposure. Sportscenter is on 25 times a day across 5 or 6 espn networks. they needed more and more anchors to fill all of those slots, and the talent pool eventually ran dry.

    I still like Hannah Storm though. That is one sexy 50 yr old woman.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Before ESPN exploded, do you remember CNN did an 11 pm sports piece with Fred Hickman and Nick Charles? that was good.
    I used to watch that too. RIP Nick Charles.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,132
    Between NFLN and Sirius NFL Radio, why would I need ESPN? For Basketball? LOL...

  11. #11
    I haven't watched in years

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,246
    I still dig the the Ocho.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Is ESPN still on the air?

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Breckenridge, CO
    Posts
    4,116
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I still dig the the Ocho.
    Fvckin A Cotton!

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    4,023
    I used to watch Sportscenter religiously every morning. Would wake up early to catch the show. Now,I haven't watched sports center, or ESPN, in years, 'cept for MNF. I can get my hockey highlights on NHL network, and football highlights on the NFL network. Everything else I don't give a shyt about. And the bet highlight show out there is The Lights, on NBC Spotrs Network. No BS, just highlights of the games.

  16. #16
    It's terrible. In a 60 minute episode of their "flagship program" they cover about 4 topics, 2 of which are usually very close to each other.

    Sample SportsCenter schedule:
    • The Heat are on a huge winning streak. Clips of the Heat practicing. Tweets from fans about the Heat.
    • Commercial break
    • Stephen A. Smith on the Heat
    • Yankees are starting soon, but Buster Olney thinks they might miss the playoffs. Stay tuned.
    • Nascar for no reason for 12 minutes.
    • Is LeBron James the best ever?
    • Buster Olney on the Yankees.


    --end episode.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,354
    I don't hate ESPN but I've found myself now going to NHL Network for hockey news, NFL Network for football, etc. just seems easier.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us