Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for people who think Kyle Wilson can start next year

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for people who think Kyle Wilson can start next year

Did you watch him play in 2012?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where you planning to go to the SB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boxscore might look good. Thats about it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Any corner would struggle with out pitiful pass rush.. we were spoiled the past few years with Revis and cromartie.. two pro bowl corners. With Revis now as good as gone we're screwed with what we have now.

However the draft hasnt happened yet. If we draft a pass rusher and he works out (anti vernon) then Wilson will be fine. Corners just can't cover for 7 seconds every play. Unless they are top ten at their postion like Revis and cro.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aside from the top 1% of CBs in the league CB play is VASTLY dependent on pass rush.

You look at a team like the giants with Corey Webster - when their Dline was wrecking people, Webster was a top CB and got paid accordingly, as their rush slowed down (see 2012) webster was badly exposed.

Cro experienced an excellent season in 2012 some of which should carry over to 2013, such as his physicality, leadership, etc. However 2012 was a statistical abberation for him when it comes to penalties. He was our most penalized defensive player in 2010 and 2011 and improved greatly in that area in 2012. In order for our defense to be successful, he HAS to do the same in 2013. Defensive holding and PI are crushing penalties as they keep drives alive by giving first downs - that is where we need Cro to continue to play well.

This draft should allow us to find an excellent "deep center fielder" at the safety position which is something we have never really had in the Rex era. We should also be able to find some sort of an edge rusher, that when pared with coples, wilkerson and barnes should allow us to rush 3 or 4 players on passing downs and play a lot of zone coverage. Rex's best defensive game as the Jets HC came vs NE in the playoffs when Shaun Ellis went ballistic, we were able to pressure brady with 3 guys, and drop 8 in coverage. Hopefully our rush will allow us to do that again this season and make up for the loss of Revis talent.

Wilson is no pro-bowler, but he is a pretty good tackler and far from a bust. Hopefully with improved defensive line/LB play he will be an above average defender for us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    Any corner would struggle with out pitiful pass rush.. we were spoiled the past few years with Revis and cromartie.. two pro bowl corners. With Revis now as good as gone we're screwed with what we have now.

However the draft hasnt happened yet. If we draft a pass rusher and he works out (anti vernon) then Wilson will be fine. Corners just can't cover for 7 seconds every play. Unless they are top ten at their postion like Revis and cro.
    Fix the pass rush
    Control the ball on offense a little more
    Don't turn the ball over
    Stay in games to win at the end
    It's all a symbiotic relationship
    Don't give up, don't ever give up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle Wilson is an avg nickelback and a below average #2 CB who will be raped next season with the schedule we have and our run defense improving.

I love the Jets fans arguing about pass rush. We haven't had a pass rush in 8 years suddenly drafting 1x OLB is going to fix it? We need a CB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The question is have YOU watched CB play across the league? Kyle Wilson is EASILY a starting caliber corner. Yes, he has a weakness- turning his head around on deep balls. But he's one of the best in the game at closing gaps and is a very intelligent player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post

Truth is our pass defense was plenty good last year without Revis - the real difficulty was covering TEs and backs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    The question is have YOU watched CB play across the league? Kyle Wilson is EASILY a starting caliber corner. Yes, he has a weakness- turning his head around on deep balls. But he's one of the best in the game at closing gaps and is a very intelligent player.
    That's a good one lol.

Wilson celebrating after making routing plays against JAG WR's is very intellgient BTDubs

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I didn't see kyle wilson make a single good play last year. I saw him get beat every single time he was thrown at, and then celebrate when a QB would overthrow the man that he allowed to get wide open.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Truth is our pass defense was plenty good last year without Revis - the real difficulty was covering TEs and backs
    Honestly enough saying our pass defense was good without him last year. Last year we had a probowl* safety who left in FA. I didn't think we should lock him long term based on injury history but he started all 16 games last yr. We need to replace landry first before bringing up last years pass defense. If we add a safety and a pass rusher it could even be better than last year.

I still hate the Revis trade, but time will tell. If we trade up for Geno my head will explode.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't see kyle wilson make a single good play last year. I saw him get beat every single time he was thrown at, and then celebrate when a QB would overthrow the man that he allowed to get wide open.
    Wilson played like a JAG last yr and managed to avoid having weekly meltdowns like he did in his first 2 years b/c our run defense was horrible and teams just felt confident running on us all day.

I'm concerned that Kyle Wilson is becoming the new Eric Smith. A liability in coverage who compromises our pass defense every single year yet for some wierd reason the coaching staff and fans will make every excuse for him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was fine. Definitely an average NFL VB, and that is all you really need when you have a pro bowler in Cro on the other side.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Wilson played like a JAG last yr and managed to avoid having weekly meltdowns like he did in his first 2 years b/c our run defense was horrible and teams just felt confident running on us all day.

I'm concerned that Kyle Wilson is becoming the new Eric Smith. A liability in coverage who compromises our pass defense every single year yet for some wierd reason the coaching staff and fans will make every excuse for him.
    If Eric Smith had Wilson's athleticism he would have been a top 5 safety... If Wilson had Smith's aptitude, he'd be a top 5 corner...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the pass rush is consistent, Kyle Wilson CAN start on a winning football team (not saying we'll be a winning team in 2013, but in 2014). I'd take Kyle Wilson over Aaron Ross, and the Giants won a Super Bowl with Aaron Ross starting. Twice. Let's not act like Wilson is the second coming of Justin Miller out there. He isn't that bad. Worth a 1st round pick? No, but what's done is done.

Quarterback and pass rush.

That's what the NFL's about.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    got any more false, BS stories about Mo Wilkinson's auto accident to spread around on the internet, genius?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Half the quarterbacks in the league throw for 4000 yards these days.what makes you guys think Wilson is that much different than most if the other cbs in the league?

If we improve our pass rush this year, Wilson will be the least of our concerns next year.more worried about olb, s, g,,wr, te and of course qb.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that's because QBs don't throw to receivers that are covered. Blanket statements like yours are a sure sign of ignorance. Sorry, but adults should know better. He was average, and got better as the year went on. We'll sign another CB, and we have a few guys with potential.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Maybe that's because QBs don't throw to receivers that are covered. Blanket statements like yours are a sure sign of ignorance. Sorry, but adults should know better. He was average, and got better as the year went on. We'll sign another CB, and we have a few guys with potential.

The difference was that you saw Kyle Wilson quite often, you saw him getting beat over the middle, and getting beat, having the QB overthrow the man who beat him, and then Kyle Wilson wagging his finger as if he did something correctly.