Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Finally Done

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    The Jets did not get top value for Revis they barely got fair value for him. #13 pick this year and a potential 4th or 3rd next year???? We are giving up the best CB in the game for crap shoot draft picks; Izdik got schooled here and took months of debating only to get shafted.

1st & 3rd this year should have been a given with a late round pick next year. Izdik better be better at drafting then he is at working out trades because he accomplished nothing special on this deal.
    Jets did a fine job.

Please detail how we could have done better wheeling and dealing an injured malcontent with 1 year left on his contract here?

By most accounts there was only one team interested in him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    With some of you guys b*tching up a storm about getting a Top 15 pick and a 3rd rounder, I can only imagine the fuss you'd be making if we kept Revis this season then watched him walk for a 3rd round comp pick next year.

Let's see...

- We have 8 picks as of right now in the 2013 draft, including two Top 15 picks

- We could have as many as 12 picks in the 2014 draft with the Bucs 3rd rounder and comp picks taken into consideration. Not to mention around $40 million in cap space to play with if we get rid of Sanchez and Holmes

Yet you guys are ready to throw Idzik out of a window?

You guys b*tched your lungs out over the past 9 months about how Tannenbaum ran things, but it seems like you miss him already.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-21-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    With some of you guys b*tching up a storm about getting a Top 15 pick and a 3rd rounder, I can only imagine the fuss you'd be making if we kept Revis this season then watched him walk for a 3rd round comp pick next year.

Let's see...

- We have 8 picks as of right now in the 2013 draft, including two Top 15 picks

- We could have as many as 12 picks in the 2014 draft with the Bucs 3rd rounder and comp picks taken into consideration

Yet you guys are ready to throw Idzik out of a window?

You guys b*tched your lungs out over the past 9 months about how Tannenbaum ran things, but it seems like you miss him already.
    Actually the comp pick would be '15. So they'd really be *****ing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Actually the comp pick would be '15. So they'd really be *****ing.
    True

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets GM: Revis contract gap too big
    Rich Cimini [

ESPNNewYork.com | April 21, 2013

It came down to money.

Explaining perhaps the biggest trade in franchise history, New York Jets general manager John Idzik said Sunday the decision to trade cornerback Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was based largely on what they perceived as an insurmountable gap in contract discussions.

"It became quite evident to us there was a substantial difference between Darrelle's view of his value and ours," Idzik said on a conference call with reporters.

Idzik said it would've taken a contract "of historical proportions" to keep Revis, who had one year remaining on his contract. Revis already was the league's highest-paid cornerback at $11.5 million per year, and he refused to come off his demand for $16 million a year, according to a source.

That's exactly what Revis received from the Bucs -- a six-year, $96 million contract, although it contains no guaranteed money.

He would've signed the same deal with the Jets, a source said, but they never made an offer. Owner Woody Johnson was philosophically opposed to paying that much for a non-quarterback, sources said. Idzik said "it became abundantly clear to us" the two sides never would reach a compromise.

This was a controversial trade for the Jets because Revis is considered one of the top players in franchise history, the last true star on a rebuilding team. They received the Bucs' first-round choice (13th overall), plus a conditional fourth-round pick in 2014 that almost certainly will become a third rounder.

Idzik said it was "very hard" to trade Revis, but he cited several reasons, namely the contract situation and his surgically repaired knee. Revis is six months removed from ACL surgery and it created "a degree of uncertainty," Idzik said.

"We were optimistic the outcome would be positive, but until you go through it, you never know for sure," he said.

Idzik admitted Revis' injury "muddied the waters" in terms of generating interest around the league. The Bucs were the only known suitor.

The aftermath likely will produce a he said-he said, as both sides scramble to win the public relations battle. Idzik claimed there was mutual interest in signing Revis to a long-term deal, but that feeling never was conveyed to the Revis camp, sources said.

Johnson told confidantes back in January that he had no hope of re-signing Revis and that the organization should explore a trade, sources said.

The Jets, in damage control, insisted they wanted to keep him.

"It was never our intent to proactively go out and shop Darrelle," Idzik said. "It was never our goal to have Darrelle leave the Jets. On the contrary, we wanted Darrelle to remain a Jet for the long term, ideally. But Tampa reached out and displayed a sincere and sustained interest. As you get closer to the draft, those talks become more real."

The Jets own the ninth and 13th picks, the first time since 2000 that a team has two picks in the top 13. They're clinging to the hope that the two picks (if they keep them) will accelerate the rebuilding process. They own eight picks total.

"We're committed to putting a team on the field that is a winning team, and doing it in a deliberate and sound way," Johnson said. "I'm encouraged. I think we've got some young players that will get better and we have an opportunity to pick up some players in the draft. I'm extremely optimistic."

Rex Ryan, a possible lame-duck coach, wasn't on board with the trade when the idea was hatched, sources said. Now that it's reality, Ryan mustered up some of his old bravado, insisting "we will continue to play great defense." But he didn't sound convincing.

Asked if the trade will make them better, Ryan stammered a bit.

"Nobody can say if the trade made you better or made you worse," he said. "Are you talking about for one week? Talking about a season? Talking about the future? Nobody really knows. Nobody has the answer to that."

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie told the New York Daily News that "losing a guy like that sucks, it just sucks." Another player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the team had little choice.

"I think we had to trade him," the player told ESPNNewYork.com. "You can't strap a team with Peyton Manning (contract) numbers for a cornerback. I respect Revis, he's a hell of a player, but you can find a cornerback on any street corner."

m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9198004&city=newyork

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Jets GM: Revis contract gap too big
    Rich Cimini [

ESPNNewYork.com | April 21, 2013

It came down to money.

Explaining perhaps the biggest trade in franchise history, New York Jets general manager John Idzik said Sunday the decision to trade cornerback Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was based largely on what they perceived as an insurmountable gap in contract discussions.
    Now there's a shocker - it came down to money. Darrelle '16 mil and not a penny less' Revis. Would have suffocated the cap. So the Jets aren't committed to winning because they won't pay a CB $16mil. So long jerk.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    "Wrangled a first"?

That was a given, that was the expectation if we did this deal back in February.

SAR I
    No it was not a given. The Bucs were unwilling to give up a 2013 first rounder, they were holding fast for next year's first, the standoff was with that disagreement. but Idzik got what he wanted, this year's first - a better value.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Because we got rid of our best player for a maybe, who will likely take 2-3 years to develop.
    Best player-so what?
    GP was gonna walk next year. Jets were not paying 16mil/yr.
    What is so hard to understand? IMO Jets made out great.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    At 16 mil I agree we had to move him.

But a 1st and 4th???
    We could have done better IMO.

What can I say we are the same team who gave up a 1st for Doug Jolley.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post

But a 1st and 4th???

Hahahaha....Billionaire owner didnt have the money even with his Cayman Island tax free cash, huh?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If he took an unguaranteed contract with TB then you have to assume he would have here. I'm sorry, I was all for trading him when the rumored deal was 96m with 50m guaranteed. That makes him completely uncuttable AND untradeable at any time. But 96m unguaranteed would leave us holding all the cards at any time. If he does't perform well because of the knee, cut him with no cap ramification. If he becomes a pain holding out or anything, trade him with no cap implication. If his play declined in year 4, cut him with no cap implication. Bottom line the 4th rounder is not one you can predict. Maybe it will be good, maybe not. 50/50 at best. So it really becomes Revis fir the 13th overall. There is not a player at 13 that is as good as Revis, nor even has the talent of Revis.
    This makes no sense

if he does perform, than the team has to pay him.

After giving up the #13th overall this year, and a 3rd next year, yeah, a 3rd, there is no way Revis is a one year player in TB, Revis will at least play with the bucs for the next two years, that is 32 million for the first two years. If he doesn't play the next two years, the Jets got the #13 and a 2014 4th at the minimum for giving up nothing.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Darrelle Revis ‏@Revis24
    I been sitting around for the last hour trying to figure out what to say to the Jet Nation & I came up with this. The six years I played for

Darrelle Revis ‏@Revis24
    the New York Jets were unbelievable. I put my body on the line everyday & did everything could to help the team win. I experienced a lot &

Darrelle Revis ‏@Revis24
    & learned a lot. The memories I had in New York I will keep dearly to my heart. I want to thank all the jets fans for making me feel welcome

Darrelle Revis
    @Revis24
    Cornerback for the Bucs. #BucNation
    Revis Island
    Standard Revis.

How to thank the fans in three tweets? Remind them how hard you worked and how much you put on the line.

This guy is so self-centered it's unreal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I think we had to trade him," the player told ESPNNewYork.com. "You can't strap a team with Peyton Manning (contract) numbers for a cornerback. I respect Revis, he's a hell of a player, but you can find a cornerback on any street corner."
    This statement will get overlooked, but this is coming from one of his ex-teammates, and he, unlike many fans her, gets it.

The Jets had little leverage, the #13 overall pick, we get a blue chip or we trade down and get multiple picks. I don't think people realize the value of a #13 overall pick. The same fans pissed off, would have been ok if the bucs included a 5th, this year or next, the jets can easily do that with the picks they received.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    Standard Revis.

How to thank the fans in three tweets? Remind them how hard you worked and how much you put on the line.

This guy is so self-centered it's unreal.
    exactly - reminding us fans how much we love him and how wonderful he was for us. It's all about him always was always will.be. enjoy Tampa

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    This statement will get overlooked, but this is coming from one of his ex-teammates, and he, unlike many fans her, gets it.

The Jets had little leverage, the #13 overall pick, we get a blue chip or we trade down and get multiple picks. I don't think people realize the value of a #13 overall pick. The same fans pissed off, would have been ok if the bucs included a 5th, this year or next, the jets can easily do that with the picks they received.
    Damien Woody.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    if he does perform, than the team has to pay him.
    God forbid he performs. Then he'll really make TB pay.

In the NFL you don't pay corners QB money. You shouldn't even pay Flacco QB money. They'll learn.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post

But a 1st and 4th???

Really? How could they do better? TBis the only team that was willing to pay what Revis wanted-$16M/Yr.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    God forbid he performs. Then he'll really make TB pay.

In the NFL you don't pay corners QB money. You shouldn't even pay Flacco QB money. They'll learn.
    I believe his contract is not guaranteed, I wonder if Nnamdi liked the way that turned out?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is wrong to say we are almost guaranteed a 3rd round pick. If revis gets hurt or lost a step they might cut him before next season.