Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Revis' departure is bittersweet

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    142

    Revis' departure is bittersweet

    He played some great games for the Jets and he's truly elite, which makes him hard to part with, but on balance, this is a very important move forward for a franchise that has been stuck in reverse for two years.

    The holdouts, the tweets, the back-biting. They were distractions for a teams that doesn't need distractions. How long will it be until the guy is holding the same gun to the Tampa Bay GM's head?

    And then there is the issue of the mega-contract, when money is needed to rebuild the o-line, add more pass rushers and some speed at linebacker.

    The reality is: The Jets defense was still good without Revis and will remain so. This move gives the Jets a chance to fix the offense. The Jets can pick an elite player in round 1, and perhaps trade back with the other pick and accumulate picks to grab some of the many talented o-line prospects in this draft.

    Let the rebirth begin.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's all sweet to me. A greedy injured player who only helped us make the playoffs 2 out of his 6 years (playing only 5 years worth of games) yielding a #1 pick

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    He played some great games for the Jets and he's truly elite, which makes him hard to part with, but on balance, this is a very important move forward for a franchise that has been stuck in reverse for two years.

    The holdouts, the tweets, the back-biting. They were distractions for a teams that doesn't need distractions. How long will it be until the guy is holding the same gun to the Tampa Bay GM's head?

    And then there is the issue of the mega-contract, when money is needed to rebuild the o-line, add more pass rushers and some speed at linebacker.

    The reality is: The Jets defense was still good without Revis and will remain so. This move gives the Jets a chance to fix the offense. The Jets can pick an elite player in round 1, and perhaps trade back with the other pick and accumulate picks to grab some of the many talented o-line prospects in this draft.

    Let the rebirth begin.
    Well said.

    signed,
    Racer X

  4. #4
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like

    yeah, maybe so..............

    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    He played some great games for the Jets and he's truly elite, which makes him hard to part with, but on balance, this is a very important move forward for a franchise that has been stuck in reverse for two years.

    The holdouts, the tweets, the back-biting. They were distractions for a teams that doesn't need distractions. How long will it be until the guy is holding the same gun to the Tampa Bay GM's head?

    And then there is the issue of the mega-contract, when money is needed to rebuild the o-line, add more pass rushers and some speed at linebacker.

    The reality is: The Jets defense was still good without Revis and will remain so. This move gives the Jets a chance to fix the offense. The Jets can pick an elite player in round 1, and perhaps trade back with the other pick and accumulate picks to grab some of the many talented o-line prospects in this draft.

    Let the rebirth begin.
    but it takes another 8 million off the books too..........

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum would never have let Revis go.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    Tannenbaum would never have let Revis go.
    He would have let Rex walk all over him and over paid like an idiot.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry, we let go of a HOF player and got a draft pick in return. With any luck we get the next gholston, wilson, or any other one of our famous busts. This year is double the bust! Two in the first round. We finally hit on revis and we trade him lol

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Don't worry, we let go of a HOF player and got a draft pick in return. With any luck we get the next gholston, wilson, or any other one of our famous busts. This year is double the bust! Two in the first round. We finally hit on revis and we trade him lol
    Sooooo....your saying we wont win the super bowl this year because we traded Revis??? I hear ya....our offense scores so many points and our D is so suffocating that now that we traded Revis our super bowl hopes have just crumbled....

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,384
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the "bitter" bit is that we are a weaker team today than we were yesterday. Even if the player we pick at #13 becomes one of the best to play the game at his respective position, we are only better off if that player is a QB (highly unlikely) or a pass rusher (possible, but still unlikely). Chances of picking another Revis-esque player (best at his position in the current game, within 2-3 years) is <1%. More realistically we should expect / hope for a strong contributor - maybe a guy who is at least considered Pro Bowl worthy - within 2-3 years. There's always the possibility of getting a total bust.

    The "sweet" bit is that we at least got more than if we'd let him walk after next year. No way were we ever going to pay him $16m per year. Fiscal responsibility may not be exciting or sexy, but it has to be done. Today I think we have reached the bottom of the curve ... we've cleared out most of the dead wood (the last few bits will go next year when we can afford it). From here on it should only be upwards movement. This is the foundation that we now need to build upon.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I always liked Revis, I am prediciting a Namdi-like drop-off in his performance. Their are 3 reasons for this:

    1) People seem to forget that Revis was not "all world" until Rex came to town. Last I checked Rex is not the DC for the Bucs.

    2) The ACL injury. It is what it is.

    3) Revis will be playing at least 8 games per year on natural grass. He has never played well on grass. IMO this is because sharp cuts to mimic the WR is the hallmark of his game, and the footing on natural grass is just not good enough for him to play like he normally does without loosing his footing and falling down. Go back and check it out. He always had difficulties in Miami, Pitt, and pre-turf Gillette.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Don't worry, we let go of a HOF player and got a draft pick in return. With any luck we get the next gholston, wilson, or any other one of our famous busts. This year is double the bust! Two in the first round. We finally hit on revis and we trade him lol
    This is pretty bizzarre. So you're saying that the Jets are worthless at picking in the draft, even though they traded up to get Revis the HOFer, so we shouldn't bother? And you're saying that the only draft picks you can remember over the past four years are Wilson and Gholston? Interesting.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    2,390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    While I always liked Revis, I am prediciting a Namdi-like drop-off in his performance. Their are 3 reasons for this:

    1) People seem to forget that Revis was not "all world" until Rex came to town. Last I checked Rex is not the DC for the Bucs.

    2) The ACL injury. It is what it is.

    3) Revis will be playing at least 8 games per year on natural grass. He has never played well on grass. IMO this is because sharp cuts to mimic the WR is the hallmark of his game, and the footing on natural grass is just not good enough for him to play like he normally does without loosing his footing and falling down. Go back and check it out. He always had difficulties in Miami, Pitt, and pre-turf Gillette.
    Do you think it matters to the Jets whether or not Revis continues to be great? I don' t think so. I think either way, the Jets did well considering the circumstances.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Do you think it matters to the Jets whether or not Revis continues to be great? I don' t think so. I think either way, the Jets did well considering the circumstances.
    It shouldn't. But, considering the Jet's reputation (earned or not) of being a bumbling team when it comes to management decisions, I do think it matters. However, that was not my point. My only point was that IMO due to 3 factors Revis will have a sharp drop-off in the quality of his play.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    2,390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It shouldn't. But, considering the Jet's reputation (earned or not) of being a bumbling team when it comes to management decisions, I do think it matters. However, that was not my point. My only point was that IMO due to 3 factors Revis will have a sharp drop-off in the quality of his play.
    Completely understand that was not your point. I just see a lot of talk on the board about whether or not Revis returns to form.

    Personally, I don't think this is one of those type of deals where it matters. He was a goner anyway, and we got pretty good value considering the lack of leverage we truly had.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us