Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This has have to be the worst deal we have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Again, what the hell does the silly sh*t Mike Tannebaum did have to do with Idzik?

Idzik just came from an organization that drafted guys like Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor in the 5th round. Hell, they picked Brandon Browner off the street for peanuts.

So yeah, I seriously doubt that he considers it a smart philosophy to give a CB a contract on par with some of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. In fact, he just proved that he doesn't subscribe to that goofy ass philosophy.
    it was not a football decision...it was made by a bean counter...

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    That is exactly my point. They didn't trade him because they couldn't afford him or were cheap, they traded him because they didn't think he was worth it and would rather spend their cap dollars elsewhere.

And yes, that is really what we disagree on. You believe Revis is worth $16mm a year, I don't.
    they thought he was worth it 2 yrs ago didn't they?...oh yeah they hired a bean counter...who i'm rooting for by the way...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    moreover...we LOVED Revis, but business dictates this.

Even those of us who get it agree he is great. In another thread the analogy of a Ferrari in a trailer park was made. we need infrastructure, not a Ferrari.
    +1

the Jets had this choice

1) the 13 pick this year and a third round pick next year

2) a compensatory third or probably higher if the Jets sign other FAs next year pick in the 2015 draft

3) a 6 year, 96 million dollar (or more contract extension) with the first 16 million guaranteed if the player survives training camp

There were no other bidders willing to destroy their salary cap for Revis so these were the three choices and the Jets took the best one of the three by far

Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    not guaranteed,so...plz they already paid him 32.5 mil for the first two years of his last contract....why is Johnson in the football business...to save money?
    Who cares if its guaranteed! He will hold out and even if he doesn't that is too much to pay. And then all you can do is cut him. Jeez people have lost their minds over ONE guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Who cares if its guaranteed! He will hold out and even if he doesn't that is too much to pay. And then all you can do is cut him. Jeez people have lost their minds over ONE guy.
    just a continuing pattern by the Jets...lets pay Holmes and Pace and every single free agent that comes across the desk...but Revis...10's better than any free agent we have ever signed(worship Curtis Martin)...screw him...sorry just upset...

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    +1

Either Revis returns to form and gets his $16m (or holds out for more). If that happens, I'll still be glad we're not putting that much money into CB.

OR

He doesn't return to form/doesn't get paid. In that case I'm VERY glad we walked away with a top pick AND a 4th rounder next year.

Either way I don't see how things could have worked out any better (assuming no better offer was out there) . . .

JetsInsider.com Legend
    LOL

You're really taking this hard

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    It was a pretty unique and bad situation for the Jets. I think it is actually one of their better trades ever to be honest.
    Agreed coming off the ACL injury I'm shocked we got this high of value for him. Not to mention the CB market was TERRIBLE and how many takers were there on revis? 9ers backed away from him and well as other teams. Seemed like Tampa had all the cards in their favor to give up less and we still walked away with a 1st rounder. Still there were reports (i know just reports) but nevertheless there were several reliable sources that said Tampa was willing to give us their 1st and 2nd next year ... we could have possibly gotten a little more value for him but still ... its not the worst trade ever and add in that he missed the last 12 or whatever games it was with an ACL tear ... a 1st rounder isn't the worst thing ever. Its actually top value ...

I just hate this draft. I won't pretend to be a draft expert and I haven't scouted any of the players in this draft obviously but from all the people who have .. they talk about how weak this draft is overall with the exception of OL .. weak at QB, weak at RB, weak at WR, half-decent with pass rushers (things we need the most)... I wish we would have stacked picks for next year but oh well ... lets see how it plays out. I just feel bad for whoever is selected 13 by us ... oh boy .. jet fans are going to criticize ever single practice run of his.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetMex View Post
    Man, trading away your best player, future hall of famer, icon...
    We did bad bussines, a future hall of famer for f•king peanuts...

Ok, lets get dee minller...

We are cool
    16million reasons why. You guys are as pathetic as Revis. I'd rather have a Lombardi trophy, than a probowler, but I guess I'm not as cool as you are.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yeah, enough of these bean counters. Let's get a Superbowl champion to be our GM. How about Warren Sapp?

Since when the hell does a Top 15 pick constitute as "peanuts"?

I can't fathom how anyone could be in favor of paying a CB $100 million dollars.

Boggles my mind
    This. Absolutely spot on. I can't stand the knee jerk reactions from the woe is mine SOJF's.

Most people here were psyched when the Percy Harvin trade went down because they thought it set a high bar on the market for Revis.

The Vikings received:
    • Seahawks 2013 1st rounder (#25)
    • Seahawks 2013 7th rounder (#214)
    • A mid-round pick in 2014 believed to be a 3rd

Today, the Jets received for Revis:
    • Bucs 2013 1st rounder (#13)
    • A conditional pick in 2014 that will likely be a 3rd

Given the uncertainty around where they will fall exactly, let's consider the 2014 picks to be a wash. According to the draft value chart, the value of the 2 2013 picks the Vikings received for Harvin add up to 725.8 points. The value of the 1 pick the Jets received for Revis was 1150 points. The roughly 425 point difference equates to a mid-2nd rounder.

This essentially means that the Jets received for Revis what the Vikings received for Harvin, plus an additional 2nd rounder this year.

Initially I was disappointed when I heard the compensation, given that reports (like the one on NFL.com today) had us receiving at least a first and a second, or a first, third, and fifth. Let that be a lesson to us in believing unsubstantiated reports and/or speculation and having big dreams. Given the analysis above, I think we should be reasonably happy with what we received.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Since when the hell does a Top 15 pick constitute as "peanuts"?

I can't fathom how anyone could be in favor of paying a CB $100 million dollars.

Boggles my mind
    what pick was Vernon Gholston?

1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Every Jet fan who thinks this is a stupid trade doesn't understand everything involved.

Other scenarios that could have happened:
    1. Let him walk at the end of the year for a compensatory pick. Jets fans immediately despise Idzik and every media channel in the world calls us inept, because we would be.
    2. Sign him to a 6yr/96million extension. If we do this, we have trouble rebuilding right now and we would lack funds to create talent and depth on both sides of the ball. I wouldn't project a superbowl in any of those 6 years (assuming he played them all out before being cut).

You don't win the superbowl by putting all your eggs in one basket. Revis is not worth 16mil/year. There are certain players that might warrant it, but even Bill Parcells said paying a corner $15mil a year is nuts. John Idzik said it best that there was a difference in opinion of the Jets value of Revis and Revis' value of Revis.

Consider this, Bucs could have had Sean Smith and Keenan Lewis for $11-12mil/year TOTAL.

Remember, You win the superbowl with talent and depth on both sides of the ball, good coaching, & a little bit of luck.
    Last edited by CoreyWill; 04-22-2013 at 12:43 AM.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    Every Jet fan who thinks this is a stupid trade doesn't understand everything involved.

Other scenarios that could have happened:
    1. Let him walk at the end of the year for a compensatory pick. Jets fans immediately despise Idzik and every media channel in the world calls us inept, because we would be.
    2. Sign him to a 6yr/96million extension. If we do this, we have trouble rebuilding right now and we would lack funds to create talent and depth on both sides of the ball. I wouldn't project a superbowl in any of those 6 years (assuming he played them all out before being cut).

You don't win the superbowl by putting all your eggs in one basket. Revis is not worth 16mil/year. There are certain players that might warrant it, but even Bill Parcells said paying a corner $15mil a year is nuts. John Idzik said it best that there was a difference in opinion of the Jets value of Revis and Revis' value of Revis.

Consider this, Bucs could have had Sean Smith and Keenan Lewis for $11-12mil/year TOTAL.

Remember, You win the superbowl with talent and depth on both sides of the ball, good coaching, & a little bit of luck.

You also don't win by "cleaning house" every 6 years. but that is what the Jets do and that is what the fans and beat writers demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

You can't just assume every first round pick we choose will be Vernon Gholston. I think Jets fans are scared of taking a pass rusher early because we are scared of another Vernon Gholston.

Idzik is a personnel guy and he has been evaluating talent for years. He would see a bust in a potential elite prospect quicker than any of us. Besides, the 2 picks are important because we can potentially trade one down, and have 6-7 draft picks within about the top 110 picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    this is more like getting rid of dead weight than cleaning house.

You also don't win by "cleaning house" every 6 years. but that is what the Jets do and that is what the fans and beat writers demand.

That's certainly true. Luckily Idzik said he doesn't worry about being fired or admired, just making the best decisions possible. He makes decisions patiently and he is known for being thorough. He seems to be a GM that isn't intimidated by NY, and writers are having trouble talking negatively about him.

I feel confident in Idzik because he seems to be managing things well so far. I think he has more of a long-term vision than most GMs and I believe the Jets will benefit and finally build a team through drafts.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Yeah, let's pick the worst possible scenario.

Sounds like the Jets fans mantra.

Woe is me
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-22-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    this is more like getting rid of dead weight than cleaning house.
    Yes that's exactly what this is. I see 3 losses this offseason in L. Landry, DeVito, & Keller. I see 3 less expensive solutions in D. Landry, Garay/Ellis, & Cumberland/Draft pick.

None of those players are worth the money they were paid.

As for the rest of the Jets that were cut, just consider it addition by subtraction.