Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For those still wondering why we retained Rex Ryan for 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    2011: 8-8
    2012: 6-10
    2013: 4-12

Total: 18-30

The Jets are 1-11 against teams that end the year with a winning record since 2010. There are at least 6 winning teams on this years schedule.

SAR I
    funny I didn't realize we played 2013 yet. Im sure you will be wrong on the number of wins, but being wrong is your MO. You said Sanchez without a doubt would turn it around last season.. Rex was definitely getting canned after this season.. Wrong again.. Guess we will forget about the 1st 2 years and the playoff wins because those wins make your bad argument look foolish If Rex gets canned it will be because of the crap MT left him with, including Sanchez the worst qb in the NFL.He will get another HC easily.. GMs will be quite impressed how he won so many games with Mark Sanchez as qb.. If he goes to a team that actually has a decent qb he will build a dominate defense to complete a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I agree to an extent. But getting rid of the team's best player in a year where the head coach has to win to keep his job certainly creates a link between them. I agree with those in the media in the sense that Idzik is kind of dooming Ryan to fail.

It's not personal, though. It's just part of a proper rebuild. We're holding the fort until the cap situation clears out completely and we free ourselves of Sanchez. Then, I think, we make an aggressive playoff push.
    Ryan's defense did fine without revis last year. In fact I think Ryan's defense will surprise people as will the offense.

I don't think izzy is dooming anyone, rather I think he's pragmatic. Revis had to be dealt with bottom line. Rex Ryan should not need revis. U build the defense from the snap of the ball out...

Outside of an 11 win, 2 playoff game winning season, there is almost no chance Rex Ryan is the Jets Coach in 2014.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    Outside of an 11 win, 2 playoff game winning season, there is almost no chance Rex Ryan is the Jets Coach in 2014.
    Not buying. You go first.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Ryan's defense did fine without revis last year. In fact I think Ryan's defense will surprise people as will the offense.

I don't think izzy is dooming anyone, rather I think he's pragmatic. Revis had to be dealt with bottom line. Rex Ryan should not need revis. U build the defense from the snap of the ball out...
    By being pragmatic, though, he made the Jets worse in the short-term. I don't think there's any way around that.

Like I said, I'm on-board with everything he's done so far.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Ask yourselves who would want to coach a team with our quarterback and cap situation this year? Ryan's strictly a hold the fort guy. He needs to win this year, but our GM, in the course of a proper rebuild, has made it impossible for him to do so.

Now fast forward to next off-season, specifically the day after the season when Ryan's fired. Jets will have $50 million in cap space, will have a younger roster, will be able to cut Sanchez, and will have a top 5 pick for the new head coach to sign off on who his quarterback would be.

MUCH more attractive situation to attract a top-notch coach (Bill O'Brien?) then this year.

Idzik knows what he's doing. Be patient.
    Your whole argument goes to shyte IF Rex wins.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    funny I didn't realize we played 2013 yet. Im sure you will be wrong on the number of wins, but being wrong is your MO. You said Sanchez without a doubt would turn it around last season.. Rex was definitely getting canned after this season.. Wrong again.. Guess we will forget about the 1st 2 years and the playoff wins because those wins make your bad argument look foolish If Rex gets canned it will be because of the crap MT left him with, including Sanchez the worst qb in the NFL.He will get another HC easily.. GMs will be quite impressed how he won so many games with Mark Sanchez as qb.. If he goes to a team that actually has a decent qb he will build a dominate defense to complete a great team.
    Those of us that stick our necks out and make bold predictions can sometimes be wrong. I miscalculated on just how bad the team was, that Woody would want to punish Rex instead of paying him. I'll take the heat, goes with the territory. You are dead wrong about my predictions for Mark Sanchez. I hated the Sparano hire, saw that mess in Cortland.

You seem to forget that Mark Sanchez is on Rex Ryan. Every sack, every fumble, every incompletion, every interception. How many NFL head coaches go through 3 offensive coordinators running 3 different offenses in a 3 year span? How many NFL head coaches are allowed to ignore the offense and focus solely on the defense? None and none.

Rex is a goner. If we don't go 4-12 this year we go 6-10. Same damn thing. The team that Rex Ryan put his stamp on is worse than the one he inherited. Nothing more need be said.

SAR I

Huge if, but in that case, he'll have re-earned the right to guide this team moving forward.

That's a ridiculous statement that's nowhere close to being true.. First if jets win 11 games with this bunch Rex has a free ticket to coach any team he desires.. Second you have no clue what izdik will want to do.. It may be ultimately up to izdik but woody is still the owner and we know what he thinks of Rex. For the first time in a over a decade we may finally have a decent OC that should get the offense on track. Rex will no doubt be masterful with the defense again. If we can get a solid pass rusher in draft, and a decent qb for once this yr or next jets will be good again..

Those of us that stick our necks out and make bold predictions can sometimes be wrong. I miscalculated on just how bad the team was, that Woody would want to punish Rex instead of paying him. I'll take the heat, goes with the territory. You are dead wrong about my predictions for Mark Sanchez. I hated the Sparano hire, saw that mess in Cortland.

You seem to forget that Mark Sanchez is on Rex Ryan. Every sack, every fumble, every incompletion, every interception. How many NFL head coaches go through 3 offensive coordinators running 3 different offenses in a 3 year span? How many NFL head coaches are allowed to ignore the offense and focus solely on the defense? None and none.

Rex is a goner. If we don't go 4-12 this year we go 6-10. Same damn thing. The team that Rex Ryan put his stamp on is worse than the one he inherited. Nothing more need be said.

SAR I
    Mark Sanchez has done well bellow expectations with 2 OCs so far not 3.. Lol quite amusing you are going to blame Rex for mark Sanchez playing like a scared lost puppy dog who points or looks at receivers he wants to throw to. He has no ball protection, this are things you expect of a high schooler to already know, the nfl is not the pee wee football academy. MT is reason why we are in the mess we are in now, and had to trade the best cb in the nfl.

SAR I
    The sad fact is that you will continue to make these BOLD PREDICTIONS in a smarmy and self-promoting way, thinking that these player and coach situations happen in a bubble. And most of the time, you will be wrong.

They don't happen in a bubble. Factors throughout the organization cause this repetitive failure on the field and you will keep marching on with your same tired and played-out shtick.

The fact that you avoid the big picture is pretty telling.
    Last edited by kali yuga; 04-22-2013 at 04:50 PM.

That's a ridiculous statement that's nowhere close to being true.
    You're right. Rex winning 11 games and 2 playoff games IS, in fact, an impossabillity in 2013.

When he loses his 9th game, his era here will be, for all intents and purposes, over. If I had to predict today, with the final product still far from assembled, I'd give Rex....6 wins.

So I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The next question is will BB go back to his 2000 5-11 reccord when Bledsoe was his QB when Brady is gone??
    We won't have the answer to that question for another 4 to 5 years from now and by then I wouldn't be shocked to see BB hang it up at the same time as Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    They won't for long.
    You're entitled to your optimism but to my eyes, Rex has done nothing to prove he's anything more than a DC In this league. He flames out as a HC forever this year, IMO.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    We won't have the answer to that question for another 4 to 5 years from now and by then I wouldn't be shocked to see BB hang it up at the same time as Brady.

You're entitled to your optimism but to my eyes, Rex has done nothing to prove he's anything more than a DC In this league. He flames out as a HC forever this year, IMO.
    What hasn't he done, besides superbowls which goes for many, to prove otherwise?

That is an idiots statement. The media is calling us a 6-10 team at best right now. If Rex goes 8-8 he well over produced according to the media. You cant put those kind of expectations on Rex given what he has done in the last 4. By most accounts he has over achieved with this team. He was never supposed to win with a 1st and 2nd year QB. Everyone said the last 2 years as Sanche as the team. Sanchez just didnt pan out. You dont tie Rex to Sanchez I am sorry. I dont buy for one minute that that was his call he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We fired the guys that where responsible for the pick now we can move on. If Rex got fired I guarantee he'd be coaching a contender next year. You just dont fire a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    That is an idiots statement. The media is calling us a 6-10 team at best right now. If Rex goes 8-8 he well over produced according to the media. You cant put those kind of expectations on Rex given what he has done in the last 4. By most accounts he has over achieved with this team. He was never supposed to win with a 1st and 2nd year QB. Everyone said the last 2 years as Sanche as the team. Sanchez just didnt pan out. You dont tie Rex to Sanchez I am sorry. I dont buy for one minute that that was his call he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We fired the guys that where responsible for the pick now we can move on. If Rex got fired I guarantee he'd be coaching a contender next year. You just dont fire a good coach.
    +1 If Rex even sniffs a .500 record this season he will definitely be resigned. In fact, if he does get to .500, he could get Coach of the Year. No one is expecting much from the Jets season, the roster has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese. That's not Rex's doing. All he can do is work with what he's been given.

But what your not looking at was that the 2009-10 team was built for bear and to make run for those two years, the amount of money spent to build those teams could not be sustained. What those years prove is that Rex can coach with good/great talent.

Lovie Smith got to the Superbowl with less talent and Rex Grossman! at QB and still got fired.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    But what your not looking at was that the 2009-10 team was built for bear and to make run for those two years, the amount of money spent to build those teams could not be sustained. What those years prove is that Rex can coach with good/great talent.

Lovie Smith got to the Superbowl with less talent and Rex Grossman! at QB and still got fired.
    that's a different team with different expectations. Lovie also got fired a few years fater the SB.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    You are 100% right in what you said - and if its just a long term view only, then ok thats fine and we will be very attractive as a destination.

The thing is, Rex, while annoying in a lot of ways, got 6 wins out of a team that lost arguably their best offensive playmaker and best CB in the league, along with having the worst QB in the league - clearly he is doing some things well.

What will our 2013 record be if we have an OLB with more then 8 sacks, a QB who only turns it over 15 times, and a RB that doesnt run into defenders.

A LOT went wrong the past 2 years, mainly sanchez being the QB - the best thing about no expectations is how easy it is to surpass them

Couldn't agree more. Took the day off yesterday to finish some painting left on NFL network and ESPN and I really couldn't believe my ears how many talking heads say the Jets are absolutely depleted and have 0 talent on this team.

• Wilkerson is a borderline pro-bowler and Coples doesn't appear to be a scrub
    • Harris should improve with some quicker LBs added.
    • Cro is still a pretty good corner
    • WRs should be healthy
    • Goodson and, hopefully, Ivory could be nice pick ups
    • Mornhinweg is a real OC with a history of success

I have confidence that depth will be addressed, unlike last year, and hopefully Idzik hits the marks on the need positions. Of course that remains to be seen, but these guys will play hard for Rex in hopes keeping him around.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    What hasn't he done, besides superbowls which goes for many, to prove otherwise?
    If I was a fan I'd fault him for :

-NOT understanding the offensive side of the ball.
    -Not being able to pick a strong OC (Saprano)
    -Not being able to develop players, especially on O.
    -Not being able to keep his clubhouse issues in house
    -Not being able to keep his yap shut
    -Not understanding rudimentary in-game coaching (timeouts and challenges)
    -Not winning games when it counts (end of season disasters)

Isn't that enough to can his ass if he goes, say 4-12 to 7-9, this year?