Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those still wondering why we retained Rex Ryan for 2013...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

For those still wondering why we retained Rex Ryan for 2013...

Ask yourselves who would want to coach a team with our quarterback and cap situation this year? Ryan's strictly a hold the fort guy. He needs to win this year, but our GM, in the course of a proper rebuild, has made it impossible for him to do so.

Now fast forward to next off-season, specifically the day after the season when Ryan's fired. Jets will have $50 million in cap space, will have a younger roster, will be able to cut Sanchez, and will have a top 5 pick for the new head coach to sign off on who his quarterback would be.

MUCH more attractive situation to attract a top-notch coach (Bill O'Brien?) then this year.

Idzik knows what he's doing. Be patient.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Ask yourselves who would want to coach a team with our quarterback and cap situation this year? Ryan's strictly a hold the fort guy. He needs to win this year, but our GM, in the course of a proper rebuild, has made it impossible for him to do so.

Now fast forward to next off-season, specifically the day after the season when Ryan's fired. Jets will have $50 million in cap space, will have a younger roster, will be able to cut Sanchez, and will have a top 5 pick for the new head coach to sign off on who his quarterback would be.

MUCH more attractive situation to attract a top-notch coach (Bill O'Brien?) then this year.

You are 100% right in what you said - and if its just a long term view only, then ok thats fine and we will be very attractive as a destination.

The thing is, Rex, while annoying in a lot of ways, got 6 wins out of a team that lost arguably their best offensive playmaker and best CB in the league, along with having the worst QB in the league - clearly he is doing some things well.

What will our 2013 record be if we have an OLB with more then 8 sacks, a QB who only turns it over 15 times, and a RB that doesnt run into defenders.

A LOT went wrong the past 2 years, mainly sanchez being the QB - the best thing about no expectations is how easy it is to surpass them

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed that with Revis gone, everyone has concluded Ryan's departure after the 2013 is a foregone conclusion. Except simple logic says otherwise--namely, that trade makes it more likely he will continue into 2014.

By trading Revis, the Jets are clearly signalling that they are not making winning in 2013 their highest priority, that they are rebuilding, and that they are willing to endure some lean years to build up their roster again.

With that in mind, how on earth do you fire Ryan after 2013? He has lost 11 starters and will be trying to work a large of contingent of rookies into the starting lineup--probably the largest corps of rookies we have seen in recent memory, or maybe ever for this franchise.

In such a scenario, Ryan cannot be expected to win more than five or six games. Winning just three games doesn't seem far fetched. So then, what is the excuse for firing Ryan? Where is the logic? Coaches in a rebuilding program are not punished for poor records, at least not in the first few years. They're given a long leash and a chance to develop the team. That is where Ryan stands -- a far departure from the win-now coach that we've always viewed him as. The guy is going to be here until at least until the end of his contract, which goes through 2014. Like Woody Johnson would eat a year? Right.
    Last edited by BroadwayRay; 04-21-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the only problem is Rex Ryan could coach a bunch of jags to a top 10 defense in his sleep. Our offense still sucks so its possible we'll be a bottom five team, but if they get decent players out of the 9 and 13 spots I wouldnt be surprised if Ryan scratches and claws his way to 10-6 and doesnt get fired.

Personally I think Ryan has lost this locker room, but there's a chance last year was just the product of misfortune. I hope I'm right because this roster badly needs a legit QB, and the easiest way to get one is to tank this season

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill O' Brien, LMAO. No thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill O' Brien??

where the F did you come up with that choice

who's next??

Mike Rice

John Sandusky

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you guys missed the point of the post.

But sorry, guys. I forgot Bill O'Brien coached for the Patriots so clearly he sucks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom line is, a new gm stuck with a head coach not of his choosng, will never work. Our new gm has to prove to woody that he needs to run this team and bring in his guys to rebuild this mess. Another loosing season will give Itdzy the juice to get rid of Ryan, Sanchez and all of the crappy players/coaches on this team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is the winningest coach in team history he is not going anywhere next year. GMs get fired for loosing too. To suggest Idzik is purposely trying to dump a season is stupid. If he has 2 4-12 seasons that could be his job too. He has improved this team with what little he had. If he really wanted to stick it to Rex he could have just done what Tanny did and sign a bunch of aging bums and traded away all his draft picks. No Idzik needs to win just as much as Rex. Rex is his guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    To suggest Idzik is purposely trying to dump a season is stupid.
    You say dumping a season, I saw rebuilding. To build this thing right, it needs to be torn down.

To think this team's trying to compete in 2013 is stupid.

2014 with $50 million in cap room, a new coach, and a new star QB will be the year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get a kick out of all the fans and media pukes who continue to push the idea that Rex is a lame duck coach who will be sent packing next season.
    That the new GM really does not want one of the best defensive minds in the game. That they brought in Wiggy just as a hold the fort OC so the players will have to relearn another offense next season. That consistency is unimportant and the Jets are just going to tank the season and start all over again next year. That Rex and his staff are just going go along with this and really not try and win every game they play. Yeah right!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to the Bridgewater/Manziel/Clowney debates. We might have pick of the litter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I look forward to the Bridgewater/Manziel/Clowney debates. We might have pick of the litter.
    We are way better then Buff or Oakland. You can keep Tebow I mean Manziel.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Idzik has an open mind about it

How he handles the locker room ... How prepared is the team every week. ... How does MM do with the O and is the team playing stronger week 17 than week 1 will be more important than W-L

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post

The entire argument is ridiculous. The Jet are NOT in cap hell. They were, but tat was fixed a while ago.

They'll likely ask Harris to restructure after this season, but that's next year.

Rex may even yield a QB out of this draft. A new young kid for him to work with. I like what he did with Sanchez. He gave him everything Sanchez could have ever wanted. It certainly wasn't Ryan's fault that Sanchez was a POS.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post

Rex is the winningest coach in team history he is not going anywhere next year. No Idzik needs to win just as much as Rex. Rex is his guy.
    Hahahaha!

By the end of the 2013 season, the final three years of the Ryan Error will have us at 18-30 with a 1-17 record against winning teams.

Lame duck? More like dead duck.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

It certainly wasn't Ryan's fault that Sanchez was a POS.
    Hahahaha!

Are you sure they're broadcasting Jets games up there in Vacationland? Sounds like you might have been watching reruns of Lost In Space.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the lame and unrelently repetitive schtick has once again become unbearable

This message is hidden because SAR I is on your ignore list.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Hahahaha!

Are you sure they're broadcasting Jets games up there in Vacationland? Sounds like you might have been watching reruns of Lost In Space.

SAR I
    So you have your hahahaha, meanwhile the rest of the SANE is not laughing along with you but giving you crickets.

Idzik is going to take a logical approach with Rex Ryan. Could he be fired after the season? Of course he could. Idzik will be watching how the team looks and develops under Ryan. Right now? Rex Ryan is completely safe. Every GM in football knows Rex Ryan is a very good HC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post

By trading Revis, the Jets are clearly signalling that they are not making winning in 2013 their highest priority, that they are rebuilding, and that they are willing to endure some lean years to build up their roster again.

lolwut?

No. 2 separate issues.