Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: For those still wondering why we retained Rex Ryan for 2013...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucas4137 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Took the day off yesterday to finish some painting left on NFL network and ESPN and I really couldn't believe my ears how many talking heads say the Jets are absolutely depleted and have 0 talent on this team.

• Wilkerson is a borderline pro-bowler and Coples doesn't appear to be a scrub
    • Harris should improve with some quicker LBs added.
    • Cro is still a pretty good corner
    • WRs should be healthy
    • Goodson and, hopefully, Ivory could be nice pick ups
    • Mornhinweg is a real OC with a history of success

I have confidence that depth will be addressed, unlike last year, and hopefully Idzik hits the marks on the need positions. Of course that remains to be seen, but these guys will play hard for Rex in hopes keeping him around.
    there is definitely some good talent here, but not enough (particularly at QB) to get more than 2 or 3 wins this season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Those of us that stick our necks out and make bold predictions can sometimes be wrong. I miscalculated on just how bad the team was, that Woody would want to punish Rex instead of paying him.
    He did punish him by keeping him here as a lame duck coach. His future will be bleaker after a 2-14 2013 season than if he were let go already. Rex is the big loser in all of this because he has no chance to succeed this season.

I'll take the heat, goes with the territory. You are dead wrong about my predictions for Mark Sanchez. I hated the Sparano hire, saw that mess in Cortland.

You seem to forget that Mark Sanchez is on Rex Ryan. Every sack, every fumble, every incompletion, every interception. How many NFL head coaches go through 3 offensive coordinators running 3 different offenses in a 3 year span? How many NFL head coaches are allowed to ignore the offense and focus solely on the defense? None and none.

Rex is a goner. If we don't go 4-12 this year we go 6-10. Same damn thing. The team that Rex Ryan put his stamp on is worse than the one he inherited. Nothing more need be said.

SAR I

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    He did punish him by keeping him here as a lame duck coach. His future will be bleaker after a 2-14 2013 season than if he were let go already. Rex is the big loser in all of this because he has no chance to succeed this season.
    Wow, it's great to have such a wonderful crystal ball. 2-14. And you know all of this before the draft, before training camp, before a single snap in the season. Can you tell me who is going to be elected president in '16? I want to go to Vegas and put my money down.

We're not winning the Super Bowl this year for sure but 2 wins?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    that's a different team with different expectations. Lovie also got fired a few years fater the SB.
    And this is the third year after the jets lost the championship game, which is the same AS Lovie

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    care to make the same bet I offered another poster with his ironmaidenfan-like 2 win dire prediction, dave?

Jets win 3 or less games, I leave JI until the start of the 2014 season

Jets win more than 3 games and you leave JI until the start of the 2014 season

No Cojones wouldn't take the bet.... how about you

Deal?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like it is a wait and see approach. Wait and see how our defense plays, how our team looks. Obviously Sanchez will be gone, but if the team plays hard I don't see why Rex would be a goner.

It is bull**** to look at the teams record as overall sign whether to keep rex. We could go 6-10 with 3 bs wins vs crap or we could go 4-12 and play really solid down the stretch and beat a good team or two.

Not gonna lie, it will be hard for rex because you know the media is going to turn on him. Especially with the superbowl being in NY.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    care to make the same bet I offered another poster with his ironmaidenfan-like 2 win dire prediction, dave?

Deal?
    You have the same cajones to make that same bet with 6 as the number? Jets win 6 or less, you're gone? 7 or more and it's me?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    go stalk someone else

I have made NO predictions for this year and won't until after the draft and I see whether Garrard will be our starting QB this season.

If it's the Turnover Machine, both No Cojones is probably right about 2 wins

I'm still willing to make the 3 bet regardless

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    If I was a fan I'd fault him for :

-NOT understanding the offensive side of the ball.
    -Not being able to pick a strong OC (Saprano)
    -Not being able to develop players, especially on O.
    -Not being able to keep his clubhouse issues in house
    -Not being able to keep his yap shut
    -Not understanding rudimentary in-game coaching (timeouts and challenges)
    -Not winning games when it counts (end of season disasters)

Isn't that enough to can his ass if he goes, say 4-12 to 7-9, this year?
    Don't hit them with the truth. It upsets them.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is definitely some good talent here, but not enough (particularly at QB) to get more than 2 or 3 wins this season.
    We'll be lucky to get 1 home win this season.

And the Cleveland game is right before Christmas, we'll be 2-12, nothing to play for. But that's going to be the highlight of the season, my first paper bag game, the anti-Ryan chants, the snowballs, the mannequin feet, it's going to be epic.

SAR I

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahahaha!

Sane people? You mean the millions of non-homer NFL fans who know how awful Rex Ryan is? Every newspaper, every TV show, every radio show, every athlete interview, it's all the same, all about how Rex Ryan is dead man walking.

I have to admire the 5 of you running around saying how great Rex is, playing the contrarian, it's almost noble how ridiculous you're making yourselves look.

18-30 in three years. 1-17 against winning teams. "He's a great head coach!" LOL.

SAR I
    Be nice, we're all Jets fans here.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    2011: 8-8
    2012: 6-10
    2013: 4-12

Total: 18-30

The Jets are 1-11 against teams that end the year with a winning record since 2010. There are at least 6 winning teams on this years schedule.

SAR I
    You argument is flawed without including his total body of work. Your agenda is showing like an old lady's slip.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    We won't have the answer to that question for another 4 to 5 years from now and by then I wouldn't be shocked to see BB hang it up at the same time as Brady.

You're entitled to your optimism but to my eyes, Rex has done nothing to prove he's anything more than a DC In this league. He flames out as a HC forever this year, IMO.
    A bit optimistic, aren't we? I'll take the under on that. I give'em 3, tops.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't hit them with constant negativity. It upsets them.

SAR I
    Fixed.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I was a fan I'd fault him for :

-NOT understanding the offensive side of the ball.
    -Not being able to pick a strong OC (Saprano)
    -Not being able to develop players, especially on O.
    -Not being able to keep his clubhouse issues in house
    -Not being able to keep his yap shut
    -Not understanding rudimentary in-game coaching (timeouts and challenges)
    -Not winning games when it counts (end of season disasters)

Isn't that enough to can his ass if he goes, say 4-12 to 7-9, this year?
    No.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    You argument is flawed without including his total body of work. Your agenda is showing like an old lady's slip.
    The average NFL head coaching career is 3 years.

Rex coached well in 2009 and 2010. The last three seasons are the true indication of the total Rex Ryan package- coaching plus talent acquisition plus talent development plus growth.

It's no agenda. Just honesty. We are a rebuilding team. Rex Ryan was the right coach for the mature 2009 squad, a terrible coach for this youthful 2013 squad. He is one dimensional and can't develop young talent. Couldn't possibly be a worse fit.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Be nice, we're all Jets fans here.
    Do you see what they write about me?

Chastise the bad guys, I'd have no reason to reciprocate.

SAR I

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Deal?
    Cut it out; Hanzo is an original JI guy. Save that monkey business for trolls.

Draft happened yesterday? no - plenty to look forward to.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Izzy seems to be a competent GM so far, so I doubt that he's already made up his mind about Rex. It all depends on what happens over the next ten months. It is possible that our HC and GM develop a good working relationship, get to like each other and learn to appreciate the others' competence. If that happens and the season isn't a complete disaster Rex will get an extension and will be happy to be here. It is also possible that they will disagree and fight and in that case Rex will be gone. Nothing is set in concrete yet. Let's get a good draft and see how the coaching staff does with the rookies and FA before we make bold and foolish predictions.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those of us that stick our necks out and make bold predictions can sometimes be wrong. I miscalculated on just how bad the team was, that Woody would want to punish Rex instead of paying him. I'll take the heat, goes with the territory. You are dead wrong about my predictions for Mark Sanchez. I hated the Sparano hire, saw that mess in Cortland.

You seem to forget that Mark Sanchez is on Rex Ryan. Every sack, every fumble, every incompletion, every interception. How many NFL head coaches go through 3 offensive coordinators running 3 different offenses in a 3 year span? How many NFL head coaches are allowed to ignore the offense and focus solely on the defense? None and none.

Rex is a goner. If we don't go 4-12 this year we go 6-10. Same damn thing. The team that Rex Ryan put his stamp on is worse than the one he inherited. Nothing more need be said.

SAR I

I'm still waiting for you to "stick your neck out" and tell us how many Jet wins it would take this year for you to admit that Rex should be allowed to continue as Jets coach. Be as "bold" as you claim to be.