Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Satisfied with the Revis trade?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. The Jets got good value for an expensive player who could have walked as FA in 2014.

    185 80.79%
  • No. The Jets could have gotten a better deal or should have met his contract demands to keep him.

    44 19.21%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 90

Thread: Are you satisfied with how the Jets resolved the Revis situation?

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely.

    A 1st and inevitably a 3rd round pick for a 27 year-old CB (The 6th most important position on the field) coming off a torn ACL?

    Jackpot.

  2. #22
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TJ Sanchez View Post
    the only thing i wish they did was get an additional fourth or fifth this year (to trade for ivory) i mean its something low in value to them. i guess they just wouldnt give it up?

    it would have been like getting a first and Ivory this year and 3rd next.
    Why are you assuming they can't still get that extra 5th from additional moving around on draft day, facilitated BY the Revis trade and gaining that #13 pick overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I still can't help but wish we got the three picks. I understand present value, but the more picks, the greater chance you hit on someone/have more trade chips.

    Doesn't mean I don't like the trade -- just that it's 6 of one/half dozen of the other . . .
    Quality is far more important than quantity. The #13 pick is WORTH a lot.

    With the #9 and #13, it allows the Jets to move back from one of those spots. Let's say for instance, the Jets trade away the #9... and in return get the #22 pick overall, plus maybe a 3rd rounder.

    The Revis trade them looks like this:

    Tampa gets Revis.

    Jets move back from #9 to #13, get the #22, a 3rd this year and a conditional 4th next year. That's a great haul, and why the #13 is worth way more to us than getting a "lotsa picks". It puts Idzik in the drivers seat to leverage the worth of the #9 and #13 for quality additional picks, and HE gets to dictate what he wants, when teams come to him asking us to move back.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Hell-No! We are going to get 1 unproven rookie w the 13th pick from Tampa & we gave them a Pro-Bowl future HOF player thos feal stinks
    Yup, let's just ignore the injury, his contract demands, our team needs, our cap situation, the fact that he was gone after this year, no other nfl team wanted him at his price and instead just cry about the fact that revis is a great player.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yup, let's just ignore the injury, his contract demands, our team needs, our cap situation, the fact that he was gone after this year, no other nfl team wanted him at his price and instead just cry about the fact that revis is a great player.
    the strangest thing to hear is our resident SOJFs screaming that the deal we got was not as good as the deal the Vikings got for Harvin


    When the facts (based on the draft value chart that every team uses) is that the 13 and the third round pick next year (assuming that Revis is still with the Bucs in March 2014) is much higher than the value of the picks that the Vikings got for Harvin

    Anybody who doubts this can take a look at the chart themselves and confirm that this is a FACT
    Last edited by sg3; 04-21-2013 at 08:47 PM.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,824
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yup, let's just ignore the injury, his contract demands, our team needs, our cap situation, the fact that he was gone after this year, no other nfl team wanted him at his price and instead just cry about the fact that revis is a great player.
    Forget it......Revis apologists are just as crazy as Pennington-ologists were....

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there wasn't a huge market for him so considering we came away with a top 15 pick I can't complain.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,659
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    the strangest thing to hear is our resident SOJFs screaming that the deal we got was not as good as the deal the Vikings got for Harvin


    When the facts (based on the draft value chart that every team uses) is that the 13 and the second round pick next year (assuming that Revis is still with the Bucs in March 2014) is much higher than the value of the picks that the Vikings got for Harvin

    Anybody who doubts this can take a look at the chart themselves and confirm that this is a FACT
    I think the best the 2014 pick could be is a third.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition, all this hooey about NO GUARANTEED money that has been promulgated is just that --- If Revis makes it through training camp, his entire 2013 salary is fully guaranteed. Assuming a straight line calculation of 96 million/6 that is 16 million guaranteed

    If the Jets had kept him for the one year rental at 6 million, they would have lost him at the end of the season for nothing but maximum 3rd round pick as opposed to the number 13 pick in this draft and a third round pick (almost 100 percent guaranteed) in 2014
    Last edited by sg3; 04-21-2013 at 08:49 PM.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think the best the 2014 pick could be is a third.
    you are correct

  10. #30
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Why are you assuming they can't still get that extra 5th from additional moving around on draft day, facilitated BY the Revis trade and gaining that #13 pick overall?



    Quality is far more important than quantity. The #13 pick is WORTH a lot.

    With the #9 and #13, it allows the Jets to move back from one of those spots. Let's say for instance, the Jets trade away the #9... and in return get the #22 pick overall, plus maybe a 3rd rounder.

    The Revis trade them looks like this:

    Tampa gets Revis.

    Jets move back from #9 to #13, get the #22, a 3rd this year and a conditional 4th next year. That's a great haul, and why the #13 is worth way more to us than getting a "lotsa picks". It puts Idzik in the drivers seat to leverage the worth of the #9 and #13 for quality additional picks, and HE gets to dictate what he wants, when teams come to him asking us to move back.
    im not saying they won't, but if they had gotten the 5th from tamba then they wouldnt be taking away drafting someone else. Like they could get ivory AND get a fourth or fifth from the trade down. i felt they couldve gotten that out of tampa

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Absolutely.

    A 1st and inevitably a 3rd round pick for a 27 year-old CB (The 6th most important position on the field) coming off a torn ACL?

    Jackpot.
    ....and a concussion!!!!

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did we get fair compensation for a player of Revis' caliber? No, we did not.

    Did I want more than two picks? Definitely.

    But all things considered I think Idzik did a good job. He was put in a tough spot -- we had no leverage (due to Tannenbaum's mistakes) and only one serious suitor and he still got a high first round pick for a guy coming off an ACL tear.

    Considering what the worst case scenario would have been we made out pretty well.

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Quality is far more important than quantity. The #13 pick is WORTH a lot.

    With the #9 and #13, it allows the Jets to move back from one of those spots. Let's say for instance, the Jets trade away the #9... and in return get the #22 pick overall, plus maybe a 3rd rounder.

    The Revis trade them looks like this:

    Tampa gets Revis.

    Jets move back from #9 to #13, get the #22, a 3rd this year and a conditional 4th next year. That's a great haul, and why the #13 is worth way more to us than getting a "lotsa picks". It puts Idzik in the drivers seat to leverage the worth of the #9 and #13 for quality additional picks, and HE gets to dictate what he wants, when teams come to him asking us to move back.
    We'd be getting a #1 anyway -- we'd just have to wait until next year, which appears to be a more top-heavy draft. My fear is teams won't want to move up this year for exactly that reason, but I guess we'll have to wait until Thursday night to find out . . .

  14. #34
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would have said yes if the bucs gave him a contract with a ton of gaurunteed money. but the fact that we could have signed him for maybe a little less and with 0 gaurunteed money irks me a lot.

    my biggest question is this: did the fact that tampa was the only suitor and could dictate terms force revis to take that contract? if we resigned him would he have given us the same deal?

  15. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i would have said yes if the bucs gave him a contract with a ton of gaurunteed money. but the fact that we could have signed him for maybe a little less and with 0 gaurunteed money irks me a lot.

    my biggest question is this: did the fact that tampa was the only suitor and could dictate terms force revis to take that contract? if we resigned him would he have given us the same deal?
    first year (16 million) guaranteed if he plays a game in 2013... far from "0 gaurunteed"

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets got a good deal. Some of the people saying otherwise, including the resident trolls who are only here to stir it up, are just mistaken. A few things:

    1. Look at the long term view of this deal. Jets get another #1 that can be leveraged into more draft picks.

    2. Our cap situation next season becomes a major financial plus. Just a few months ago the experts had the Jets in cap hell for the next few years. Jets could be $50 million under the cap!! With hat flexibility, the team can address other holes on the team.

    3. We can build a young core that will be ready to take over the division in 2 or 3 years. Tammy is getting older. Our defense has some young building blocks. A few more additions and an overhaul on offense and we are right back where we need to be in 2 years, if not sooner. The key will be the draft. If the Jets draft well, we are in business. If not, we are screwed. It's that simple.

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,040
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was all for trading Darrelle, but I feel like he should've yielded a bit more. Nonetheless, still alright with it. B- on the deal.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Furthermore Mevi$ was traded out of the AFC, another plus

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to hear from all the morons out there that said we were going to sign Revis to a 12 mil or less contract, and told me I was crazy for thinking anyone would pay him 16 mil. So now how idiotic would you people have looked if we kept him this year and then tried to re sign him as a free agent? Idzik has no idea what he's doing. Sorry Sari, but you're wrong again. Maybe you guys should learn to keep your mouths closed, and open your ears, eyes, and most importantly your minds.

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i would have said yes if the bucs gave him a contract with a ton of gaurunteed money. but the fact that we could have signed him for maybe a little less and with 0 gaurunteed money irks me a lot.

    my biggest question is this: did the fact that tampa was the only suitor and could dictate terms force revis to take that contract? if we resigned him would he have given us the same deal?
    His money is still guaranteed unless he gets hurt, and then he has insurance for that. What are they going to cut him? Then he becomes a FA, and he'll probably get more. Revis wants to be the highest paid player every year. That is the only thing important to him. He doesn't need the money at all anyway. Why so he can buy 25 houses instead of 22? It's all about his ego.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us