View Poll Results: Satisfied with the Revis trade?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. The Jets got good value for an expensive player who could have walked as FA in 2014.

185 80.79%
  • No. The Jets could have gotten a better deal or should have met his contract demands to keep him.

44 19.21%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you satisfied with how the Jets resolved the Revis situation?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Riddance

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have the 13th pick and we're going to be in cap heaven next season instead of cap hell

I loved Revis. Nevertheless, this trade was a giant win for both teams. Buccaneers had cap space and didn't really need anyone who they could get at 13. Meanwhile, the players likely to be around at 13 (OGs, pass rushers, WRs, TE) fit us perfectly and we badly needed cap space.

Thursday is the first day in the revival of the Jets

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would have liked another 5th in there but i'll live with it. Don't have a choice.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    On ESPN.com...
    "Meanwhile, New York is positioning itself well for 2014, when it is expected to receive four compensatory picks to go along with the Buccaneers' pick, meaning the Jets will have a bounty of selections to try to turn around their roster."

Exactly....if we couldn't keep Revis, we are now getting something to rebuild this team...it has nothing to do with whether Revis is a great player, its whether he could be a great player on a great team...without a rebuilding, the Jets would never succeed.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, why all the angst? Who here thinks that paying Revis 16m a year was in the Jets best interest? Not me. So, Revis was gone next year anyway.

We could have had his services this year for the 6m cap hit plus a 2015 comp pick. That is all and we all know this. Revis was going after 2013 no matter what. Trading him for what we're getting is not a bad move at all. We did without his services most of 2012 and our D was still well above average.

Anyone who insists on call this buttfumble II or some such thing is childish. Idzik is doing a fine job and we should be thankful he is continuing to rid this team of dead weight and mal-contents. Hell, he even got Tone to restructure!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Im so happy this is over,

To not get anything at all after next year for Revis, and to get the 13th this year and a 3 next year is what the Franchise needs rate now... We got Mangold from the Abraham trade, maybe well get the same value here...

I was really starting to worry that the Bucs were going to wait till after the draft to make the deal, and we would of been screwed, by not gettin the 13th overall this year...

Overall I think we got value here... everybody wins... Revis gets Paid, we move twords the future

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Seriously, why all the angst? Who here thinks that paying Revis 16m a year was in the Jets best interest? Not me. So, Revis was gone next year anyway.

We could have had his services this year for the 6m cap hit plus a 2015 comp pick. That is all and we all know this. Revis was going after 2013 no matter what. Trading him for what we're getting is not a bad move at all. We did without his services most of 2012 and our D was still well above average.

Anyone who insists on call this buttfumble II or some such thing is childish. Idzik is doing a fine job and we should be thankful he is continuing to rid this team of dead weight and mal-contents. Hell, he even got Tone to restructure!
    +1

This is what good teams do. 16 million a year for a CB? I can't stop laughing. We don't even need him. We need an offense!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    People talk about the draft choices but one of the crucial things (and others have already pointed this out) is that next year we have 16M more to spend on free agents. That's three good players. So we could have resigned Revis but then wouldn't have the money to spend in free agency. If we get two decent players through the draft and three more 5+ million dollar free agents, that's 5 players on our team instead of Revis. I'll take that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets kept Revis this year, they would have been in the same situation as the Cleveland Cavaliers and LeBron James. Hung out to dry with no compensation. To get the #13 pick is terrific value for that. Revis is not worth $16M, and obviously Izdik realized that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should be interesting to see what the Jets do with two high 1st rounders here. Do they...

1) Pick 9th and 13th?

2) Pick 9th and trade the 13th for more picks?

3) Pick 13th and trade the 9th for more picks?

You're calling the shots what are you doing?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No team is going to give a first round pick for a cb that just had a season ending acl injury. Maybe a 4th.

Bwaaaahaaaaa, all you idiots (and you know who you are), ead

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

as could be expected............

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Poll coming.
    I understand both sides..........divorce was necessary and equal.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets made out very poorly in this trade. A proven superstar for a first round pick this year, who might turn out to be a complete bust? Plus "something" in next year's draft, essentially unknown? We would have done much better to simply play Revis this year and get nothing afterward. If Revis was stupid enough to go into this season with no extenison, risking a carrer-ending injury, I would have been fine with getting one more season out of him for nothing afterward. I had hoped Idzhik was better than this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given the circumstances, they couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

1. Revis is coming off a torn ACL - that diminishes his value

2. He wanted a giant contract (ended up with 6/96) - notice how the teams weren't exactly lining up to give him all that money

3. Draft pick compensation (Jets ended up with 1/3) - that's a lot to give up as well

Considering all those things, you had to find a team willing to accept those 3 things. That eliminated all other suitors so really the Bucs had the leverage. Getting the picks the Jets did was good.

They're going to cut Sanchez/Holmes/maybe Cro next year. That will leave them with just shy of 50M in cap room and probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 picks in the 2014 draft with compensatory picks and the 3 from Tampa.

It sucks losing Darrelle. He was a phenomenal player for us when healthy. But sometimes an amicable divorce is inevitable. The 2 sides needed different things. It's that simple.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fan RI View Post
    The Jets made out very poorly in this trade. A proven superstar for a first round pick this year, who might turn out to be a complete bust? Plus "something" in next year's draft, essentially unknown? We would have done much better to simply play Revis this year and get nothing afterward. If Revis was stupid enough to go into this season with no extenison, risking a carrer-ending injury, I would have been fine with getting one more season out of him for nothing afterward. I had hoped Idzhik was better than this.
    Yeah we should have signed him for 9mil a year because he wouldn't play this season without an extension. Did you know that his 16mil per contract is not guaranteed? and did you know that you have no idea what you're talking about. Idzik would have hoped you were better than this if he knew who you were.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Given the circumstances, they couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

1. Revis is coming off a torn ACL - that diminishes his value

2. He wanted a giant contract (ended up with 6/96) - notice how the teams weren't exactly lining up to give him all that money

3. Draft pick compensation (Jets ended up with 1/3) - that's a lot to give up as well

Considering all those things, you had to find a team willing to accept those 3 things. That eliminated all other suitors so really the Bucs had the leverage. Getting the picks the Jets did was good.

They're going to cut Sanchez/Holmes/maybe Cro next year. That will leave them with just shy of 50M in cap room and probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 picks in the 2014 draft with compensatory picks and the 3 from Tampa.

It sucks losing Darrelle. He was a phenomenal player for us when healthy. But sometimes an amicable divorce is inevitable. The 2 sides needed different things. It's that simple.
    He just signed a 16mil contract. Diminished value? How much would his contract have been if he was at full value? Why would we cut Cromartie next year?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fan RI View Post

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yeah we should have signed him for 9mil a year because he wouldn't play this season without an extension. Did you know that his 16mil per contract is not guaranteed? and did you know that you have no idea what you're talking about. Idzik would have hoped you were better than this if he knew who you were.
    Your guess is as good as mine as to whether he would have played this year or not without an extension. He was under contract to the Jets. I'd have been willing to take a chance that he would sign for less if we didn't trade him. If he held out, I would have been fine with that as well. As some point, you have to play the hand you have been dealt.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard not to like the deal. Bucs were bidding against themselves and we got a #13 overall pick and most likely a 3rd rounder for someone we weren't signing at the end of the year.

And in no way is Revis worth 16mil/year. The only defensive player that would ever be worth that much would be a disruptive pass rusher who averages 20 sacks a year.

I just wish he would've accepted a pay cut to play with the Jets and be opposite Cromartie. Otherwise, he can take his ego and contract demands somewhere else.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik simply did with Revis what's done with most aging New Yorkers developing knee problems, he sent him to Florida.