View Poll Results: Satisfied with the Revis trade?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. The Jets got good value for an expensive player who could have walked as FA in 2014.

185 80.79%
  • No. The Jets could have gotten a better deal or should have met his contract demands to keep him.

44 19.21%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are you satisfied with how the Jets resolved the Revis situation?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this in another thread, but I think it's more appropriate here. Sorry for the duplication:

Most people here were psyched when the Percy Harvin trade went down because they thought it set a high bar on the market for Revis.

The Vikings received:
    • Seahawks 2013 1st rounder (#25)
    • Seahawks 2013 7th rounder (#214)
    • A mid-round pick in 2014 believed to be a 3rd

Today, the Jets received for Revis:
    • Bucs 2013 1st rounder (#13)
    • A conditional pick in 2014 that will likely be a 3rd

Given the uncertainty around where they will fall exactly, let's consider the 2014 picks to be a wash. According to the draft value chart, the value of the 2 2013 picks the Vikings received for Harvin add up to 725.8 points. The value of the 1 pick the Jets received for Revis was 1150 points. The roughly 425 point difference equates to a mid-2nd rounder.

This essentially means that the Jets received for Revis what the Vikings received for Harvin, plus an additional 2nd rounder this year.

Initially I was disappointed when I heard the compensation, given that reports (like the one on NFL.com today) had us receiving at least a first and a second, or a first, third, and fifth. Let that be a lesson to us in believing unsubstantiated reports and/or speculation and having big dreams. Given the analysis above, I think we should be reasonably happy with what we received.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Should be interesting to see what the Jets do with two high 1st rounders here. Do they...

1) Pick 9th and 13th?

2) Pick 9th and trade the 13th for more picks?

3) Pick 13th and trade the 9th for more picks?

You're calling the shots what are you doing?
    I'd use this year's 9 and 13 to draft two impact players, and try to trade our 2nd rounder (39 overall) to a team in "win now" mode for a 2014 1st rounder!

There may be a team that sees a player on the board when the Jets pick in Round 2, the #7 pick of the round, comes up! The Jets might try to grab a #1 for next year to position themselves for a QB in 2014. I'd love for that to happen.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy with the move. While I would like more picks it's tough for a guy who no one else really was interested in. He had a torn ACL and I have a feeling that his two prior holdouts put a sour taste in the organizations mouth. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do another holdout in Tampa in two years or be gone.

This team right now has a lot of holes to fill and our first four draft picks should go toward our DL, LBs, and OL. If you can't protect your QB or pressure the opposing QB you won't do much in this league.

In 2005 we traded John Abraham and had two first rounders. We took D'Brickshaw and Mangold. Everyone was crying for Leinart. Well those two OL turned out a lot better than Leinart did.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Absolutely. I'm actually impressed, a week ago all Tampa was offering was a 2014 first, a 2013 third and fifth.

The 2013 #13 pick is worth more than a 2014 first and a 2013 third combined.

The 2014 conditional 4th is equal to or greater than the 2013 fifth.

So, on both accounts Idzik got them to give us more value. Dumb fans are crying about the amount of picks, but it really comes down to value of picks, because they can be traded for more if wanted, the most important thing to consider is that veterans almost NEVER get traded for first round picks, and it's even more rare to get a top 15 pick.

Idzik played this perfectly, when you consider all the variables that were working against the Jets.
    Jets got the best of the situations they specifically Idzik had inherited and had to make some tough choices. It could've been worse. Revis hardly played all year and still the D was effective in his absence. It sould be even better with dynamic passrushers and the youth movement at LB. S still has to pan out but the Jets will have option in the draft including trading down with one of the picks in the first to pick up more in the 2nd round onwards.
    With OC Morny in charge and more additions to the O I think the Jets could suprise a lot of people in 2013, not least our own in house critics.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    YES!!!!
    Hey look, the Jets did something and the biggest Jets homer on the board digs it!

Hey sg3, Woody just sold a share of the team to Don Shula, what do you think about that?

YES!!!!
    Hey sg3, Rex Ryan just tattooed all of the Patriots' Lombardi trophies onto his dingus, do you dig that?

YES!!!!
    Hey sg3, John Idzik just pooped into a bowl, ate it, then pooped out the poop, ate it again, and then made sweet love to Tom Brady. How do you dig that?

YES!!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    We'd be getting a #1 anyway -- we'd just have to wait until next year, which appears to be a more top-heavy draft. My fear is teams won't want to move up this year for exactly that reason, but I guess we'll have to wait until Thursday night to find out . . .
    It is common knowledge that a future 1st rounder is equivalent to a current-year 2nd rounder.

It is not the same.

I wish more Jets fans knew more about football. Good grief.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    I posted this in another thread, but I think it's more appropriate here. Sorry for the duplication:

Most people here were psyched when the Percy Harvin trade went down because they thought it set a high bar on the market for Revis.

The Vikings received:
    • Seahawks 2013 1st rounder (#25)
    • Seahawks 2013 7th rounder (#214)
    • A mid-round pick in 2014 believed to be a 3rd

Today, the Jets received for Revis:
    • Bucs 2013 1st rounder (#13)
    • A conditional pick in 2014 that will likely be a 3rd

Given the uncertainty around where they will fall exactly, let's consider the 2014 picks to be a wash. According to the draft value chart, the value of the 2 2013 picks the Vikings received for Harvin add up to 725.8 points. The value of the 1 pick the Jets received for Revis was 1150 points. The roughly 425 point difference equates to a mid-2nd rounder.

This essentially means that the Jets received for Revis what the Vikings received for Harvin, plus an additional 2nd rounder this year.

Initially I was disappointed when I heard the compensation, given that reports (like the one on NFL.com today) had us receiving at least a first and a second, or a first, third, and fifth. Let that be a lesson to us in believing unsubstantiated reports and/or speculation and having big dreams. Given the analysis above, I think we should be reasonably happy with what we received.
    Good post.

Most people won't understand it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm satisfied with how the Jets resolved the Revis situation.
    I'm not at all satisfied with the decisions that lead to us having a Revis situation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line is had he played last year, we're still a 6 win team, so yes. We had zero leverage.

Still bummed as a fan and hoped we'd get more.

Ryan has his faults but as long as he's here, we'll have a top 10 D every year, minimum.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to be happy or satisfied about Revis not playing for the Jets

I agree with reasoning behind the trade; bad contracts, too many holes in the roster (thank Tanny), hold outs, and 6/96million for a CB (thanks Feinsod)

i am satisfied Idzik made a fair deal considering the situation

Thursday wil determine overall satisfaction:
    I am concerned with reported weak draft status and would hate to use the Revis pick to trade up
    Would love to see the team trade down to add more players and 2014 draft picks

Let the rebuild begin, Go Jets!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    It is common knowledge that a future 1st rounder is equivalent to a current-year 2nd rounder.

It is not the same.

I wish more Jets fans knew more about football. Good grief.
    I'm well aware of how draft picks are viewed. We have a word for that in the English language -- "hypothetical".

Reality still says a 1st round pick is a 1st round pick. I'm no scout -- I simply know what the experts say, that this draft isn't top heavy. Because of that I'm concerned there may not be trade down partners, which is my preference. If next year is the QB bonanza some make it out to be (again, all heresay) I'd prefer to have more firepower in that draft, not this one.

All I'm saying is it's not the no-brainer you're making it out to be. Under the circumstances I'm glad he's gone (no way I'm putting $16m into CB), but only time will tell if we're able to do what we want to maximize the value we got for trading the guy away . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He just signed a 16mil contract. Diminished value? How much would his contract have been if he was at full value? Why would we cut Cromartie next year?
    Diminished value in terms of draft picks. Revis is healthy, they get an extra 2 or 3 and maybe more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have liked an additional late round pick this year, but we were in a tough position with no other suitors and the league knowing we had to trade Revis.

This trade will be even better if we can trade down one or both picks for additional picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Could Dallas or San Fran be interested in a trade?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Diminished value in terms of draft picks. Revis is healthy, they get an extra 2 or 3 and maybe more.
    You think the injury had a big effect? No f'n way. What had a big effect, which the Jets will never admit, was the stupid 'band-aid' contract.

The jets essentially had NO leverage after this year and the whole league new it. The fact they got more then a top 15 pick is incredible in my opinion, especially with the new contract parameters for draft picks. If the Jets maneuver right, they essentially control the draft this year. Very valuable asset having two top 15 picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad that roughly 80% of the fan base is sane.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I'm not at all satisfied with the decisions that lead to us having a Revis situation.
    You meant Revis' decision to demand $16 million per year? I concur.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Bingo.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not that often that a player the caliber of Revis comes along to the team you root for, and it figures that perhaps the most talented football player that the Jets have ever had had to be traded primarily becasue of the sheer incompetence of the previous GM. As a long suffering Jets fan, this pisses me off to no end, but at the end of the day, the Jets were put in a tough spot, and Idzik played the hand he was dealt and got pretty decent compensation back, all things considered. Now it's done, so here's to hoping for a disgustingly sucessful 2013 draft!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a dolphins fan, I'm fairly satisfied with this deal myself. I'm glad Revis is no longer with the Jets, although i wish it would've come next year with the Jets getting nothing.

The Jets had to trade him. Getting a 1st this year and likely a 3rd isn't bad, but it's a bummer to have to hope that 1st rounder turns into something remotely close to Revis. Basically I look at the trade as the Jets getting a good player in return. The 3rd rounder will most likely be an average starter or a depth player. None of that concerns me too much as a dolphins fan. We dont know till after the draft, but as long as the 13th pick isn't a Tavon Austin, Cordarelle Patterson, or Tyler Eifert, I'm not too worried about it.

If I were the Jets, I would've tried to wait till during the season. Let him come back and show he is healthy, and then trade him for picks in next years draft. It's very possible more teams would've been interested if they knew he was healthy.

All in all, the Jets did what they had to do, I don't think they played their cards right through the whole saga, but they got a pretty decent return. As a dolphins fan though, no revis, and having a extra 1st round pick in a draft that's weak at the top, I'll take that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the right move for the team. We're tanking/rebuilding and getting the cap in order. Revis would have been a huge distraction. Moreover, he sees the writing on the wall and wouldn't be busting his ass for the squad the Jets are going to put out there week 1. He would likely have lowered his value. Cash in your chips and move on. That's what we did.

Next up, time for Tebow to be moved. I'm guessing they try and get a 7th rounder for him to save face, otherwise he's a cut.

Rex is out on the island now. If he can somehow coach these guys into a salvageable season, he'll get another shot at a HC job somewhere down the line.

The handwriting is on the wall. If any solid young Jets starter so much as has a boo boo, they are going to put him on season ending IR. The tank job has already begun.