Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two 1st rd picks!!!

Two 1st rd picks!!!

The same year a "freshman" won the heisman lol.

Let's hope for the best.

P.S. a HOF caliber player is worth more then a 1st and 4th.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post

Let's hope for the best.

Agreed, especially when the 4th is next years draft it's worth even less trade value wise!

Rookie
    I fully agree that we didn't get his value in return, but when you consider the position we're in we didn't have much leverage on the deal. Everyone knew we'd get rid of him, it just came down to how much more we could squeeze out of the trade.

All League
    Since it's already been posted in every other Revis thread, might as well post it here:

If Revis fully heals and earns $16m/yr, I'm glad he's not taking it from our cap space.

If Revis doesn't heal/earn his money, I'm glad we got two picks for a guy who's no longer the legend he once was.

Either way, I don't see how anyone could have expected this to end any better (assuming no better offers were out there) . . .

so we reportedly turned down a 1st and 2nd for next year for a 1st this year and 4th next year lol. Was this to save Rex's job? I mean next year we could have traded 2 1st for a franchise changing guy or stacked up. This was a terrible decision especially when this draft isn't that good lol. I swear this sucks and I'm usually the one to defend moves or wait how they play out but why so jumpy for 2 1st rounders this year when we could have possibly gotten 1st AND 2nd next year .. smh

This is a NY win-now mentality move trying to improve the team instantly. Any other franchise in a smaller city and less pressure takes both higher picks next year. I mean even if Tampa has a decent record next year you still get a damn 1st and 2nd in a much better expected draft class.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Since it's already been posted in every other Revis thread. . .
    Hooray, another whiny Revis thread.

All Pro
    Considering that only one team out of 31 other teams that play in this league were even interested in Revis services because they knew he wanted to be the highest paid defender ,the Jets by obtaining the 13th pick & a basically a 3rd next was as good as it could get.
    We are all very lucky that Tampa was a team with a lot of cap room, a team that needs to put fannies in the seats so they don't have another 6 blacked out games.
    This will be a total fail for the Bucs.
    Unless you have a franchise QB, like Green Bay, you can't pay one player 16 million per year.

All Pro

Let's hope for the best.

Yes. But,

1. HOF player was either going to demand $15m/year+ or leave
    - Any player the Jets draft will account for less than $3M against the cap for the next 3 seasons
    2. If he left next year the Jets would most like get the 97th pick of the NFL draft, in 2015.
    3. If he left next year, the Jets would have him count against their cap in 2014, I believe for $9M.

It's hard to say if the trade will work out for the Jets, but it's laughably simplistic to say "a HOF caliber player is worth more than a 1st and 4th". No kidding, but there are a lot more things that are in play here.

Hall Of Fame

Let's hope for the best.

with posts like this one, you are never going to make Sergeant First Class or Master Sergeant

Veteran
    revis should be holding out next year because he didn't get his guaranteed money.

All Pro
    What are the conditions for the 2014 4th to become a 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    with posts like this one, you are never going to make Sergeant First Class or Master Sergeant
    Wouldn't want too I'm a Marine.

Hall Of Fame
    lol.... those are trees, look around them and you'll see the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Yes. But,

1. HOF player was either going to demand $15m/year+ or leave
    - Any player the Jets draft will account for less than $3M against the cap for the next 3 seasons
    2. If he left next year the Jets would most like get the 97th pick of the NFL draft, in 2015.
    3. If he left next year, the Jets would have him count against their cap in 2014, I believe for $9M.

It's hard to say if the trade will work out for the Jets, but it's laughably simplistic to say "a HOF caliber player is worth more than a 1st and 4th". No kidding, but there are a lot more things that are in play here.
    Your only looking at from the jets point of view.
    They are gonna pay a player coming off an injury 16 million. You don't think they could have added in a 5th from this year ?

The brass in TB jobs may have very well depended on securing Revis. If this deal happened tues or Wed. I'd be much more content but I think we blinked first.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 04-22-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    One condition... Revis is on their roster on the 3rd day of 14. I'd say that is a pretty safe one.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    If Revis is still a Buc on the 3rd day of the 2014 season, so basically if Revis makes it through camp and does not retire during the season, the Jets get a 3rd in 2014

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    If Revis is still a Buc on the 3rd day of the 2014 season, so basically if Revis makes it through camp and does not retire during the season, the Jets get a 3rd in 2014
    Just to clarify..

NOT the third day of the 2014 season in September

The third day of the NFL league year in March

If he's still healthy enough to play football. ..a third

If he suffers a career ender in 2013, we still get a fourth

All Pro
    Your only looking at from the jets point of view.
    They are gonna pay a player coming off an injury 16 million. You don't think they could have added in a 5th from this year ?

The brass in TB jobs may have very well depended on securing Revis. If this deal happened tues or Wed. I'd be much more content but I think we blinked first.
    Of course I will look at it as a Jet fan. The situation from tb is quite different, they can afford to pay Revis $16m, the Jets can't. Maybe the Jets could have gotten another 5th Round Pick, but even if there was a 75 percent chance of that, and if not, the Jets kept Revis for 2013, was it really worth it?

Again if u read other post Revis had to be moved I think we blinked first. They wanted/needed Revis badly. If that deal happened tomorrow or wed. I'd be ok with it.

And if you looked at it from tampa's point of view you would see they would have given more.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Let's hope for the best.

How about a HOF caliber player coming of major reconstructive knee surgery.