Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revis/Sanders

All Pro
    Revis can tackle, Sanders didn't.

Sanders could return punts, even played WR in s Super Bowl, Revis didn't.

You know the real difference is? Sanders played 12 years + 2 in Baltimore as an old guy. Revis has played 6, missing basically all of 1, and not being 100% for much of a second.

Let Revis stay healthy for 3 full seasons, and we can have this discussion.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
    The receivers Revis shuts down are better than the ones SAnders had to deal with not to mention he tackles like a linbacker. He was probably the best tacker on the team come to think of it.
    Yes. Sanders only had to cover Jerry Rice twice a year, Michael Irvin in the NFC championship games, people like that.

How many of you really watched Sanders play? Like saw him a lot? I lived in Dallas for the 3 years he was here. His athletic ability was amazing. The fastest player in the league (well, maybe Darrell Green). His change of direction was amazing, his hands were excellent. He did not like contact. At all. Revis is a far more physical player, Revis tackles very well. He is not a linebacker. Sanders was better at baiting QB's into throwing at him.

Both left teams to go get more money elsewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Revis better then Deon Sanders? You homers have lost your mind.

Sanders was one dimensional as a corner, but was able to draw attention away from that with his return game.

Revis is such a good corner in every respect that his coaches didn't want to risk him in the return game.

Anyone that thinks Sanders was a better corner is on the good drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Revis can tackle, Sanders didn't.

Sanders could return punts, even played WR in s Super Bowl, Revis didn't.

You know the real difference is? Sanders played 12 years + 2 in Baltimore as an old guy. Revis has played 6, missing basically all of 1, and not being 100% for much of a second.

Let Revis stay healthy for 3 full seasons, and we can have this discussion.
    This is the only possible indictment of Revis. He had a couple of health issues. Their play on the field should not be in dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Revis better then Deon Sanders? You homers have lost your mind.
    One of my favorite players, as a kid, was Primetime. With that said, Deion was better. Revis is right up there, but QBs were scared to throw out Deion because he was a threat to return the ball for a TD EVERY TIME.

But again, if Deion is #1 all time, Revis isn't that far behind. Revis is an all-time great (but for the good of the franchise, he had to go).

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    One of my favorite players, as a kid, was Primetime. With that said, Deion was better. Revis is right up there, but QBs were scared to throw out Deion because he was a threat to return the ball for a TD EVERY TIME.

But again, if Deion is #1 all time, Revis isn't that far behind. Revis is an all-time great (but for the good of the franchise, he had to go).
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Revis missed DPOY in 2009 because quarterbacks were afraid to throw at him. Return threat is nice, but when you know the ball is not going to be caught, ever, you stay away from that side.

I think it would be interesting to see how many targets Revis had that year compared to any year that Deion played.

Sanders' stats wouldn't have been that great if they avoided him as much as 24 was.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Sanders played in an era when you could basically maul receivers. I would say revis pretty much can and does hold a candle to sanders, without question.
    Sanders was soft as far as hitting, and known to crocodile arm tackles and get out of the way of contact. He played off the ball, and I believe had better speed than Revis.
    That being said, Revis makes QB's stay away.

At this time, Sanders is better, he had a full career and he also returned kicks. If REvis comes back healthy and continues his path for 7 more years, he'll be in the same conversation as Sanders but at this point not.