Thread: Idzik's mindset entering this draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Idzik's mindset entering this draft.

When trying to predict what the Jets will or should do this week in the draft one should really look at what Idzik's mindset is entering his first draft. I think we can all agree that the Jets are in full rebuild mode. I think we can also agree that the head coach situation is very much a question mark right now. So the question is, if you are Idzik do you use your first round picks on players that would be scheme specific players (3-4 OLBs, WCO QBs) to the current coaching philosophy, or do you select guys that are more "universal" or that are not as scheme specific?

Would you use the 9th pick on a rush OLB that is really only a fit in a 3-4 when there is a chance that you may not even be running a 3-4 next season? Would you select a QB who's upside is that he is a very good WCO QB and you may not even be running a WCO next season?

I think we have to keep that in mind when trying to predict what direction the Jets will go in the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    When trying to predict what the Jets will or should do this week in the draft one should really look at what Idzik's mindset is entering his first draft. I think we can all agree that the Jets are in full rebuild mode. I think we can also agree that the head coach situation is very much a question mark right now. So the question is, if you are Idzik do you use your first round picks on players that would be scheme specific players (3-4 OLBs, WCO QBs) to the current coaching philosophy, or do you select guys that are more "universal" or that are not as scheme specific?

Would you use the 9th pick on a rush OLB that is really only a fit in a 3-4 when there is a chance that you may not even be running a 3-4 next season? Would you select a QB who's upside is that he is a very good WCO QB and you may not even be running a WCO next season?

I think we have to keep that in mind when trying to predict what direction the Jets will go in the draft.

Great questions..

I think Darrell Bevell runs or has run the WCO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Great questions..

I think Darrell Bevell runs or has run the WCO
    I was thinking more of David Shaw, but could live with Bevell.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more of David Shaw, but could live with Bevell.
    Great choice!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more of David Shaw
    Woody's plane will be at Palo Alto Airport on 12/30/2013.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really think that Idzik realizes that he has to fix this offense first and foremost.

We can have the best D in the league and it still won't mean dick if we're struggling just to score 10 points a game.

I've made my strategy well known.

Warmack/Cooper at #9 then Austin/Eifert at #13.

I know there's been talk of us taking Manuel/Nassib in the 2nd round, and I'm cool with that...as long as we don't move up into the late 1st to get one of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really think that Idzik realizes that he has to fix this offense first and foremost.

We can have the best D in the league and it still won't mean dick if we're struggling just to score 10 points a game.

I've made my strategy well known.

Warmack/Cooper at #9 then Austin/Eifert at #13.

I know there's been talk of us taking Manuel/Nassib in the 2nd round, and I'm cool with that...as long as we don't move up into the late 1st to get one of them.
    I agree, those selections are players that can work in a variety of systems.