Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revis will have his work cut out for him now.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Revis will have his work cut out for him now.

As great as Revis is let's just see how he will fair in the wide open NFC South.

With the Jets, sure he had to draw the occasional Megatron, Reggie Wayne's and Andre Johnson's of the world but in the AFC East he had only the Tom Brady/Wes Welker 1-2 combo to worry about 2x a year. His next best competition in the East was the average duo of Fitzpatrick/Johnson.

In the NFC South he'll have 6 games every year against QB/WR duos that are heads and shoulders above what he faced in the AFC east.

Brees/Colston
    Ryan/White & Jones
    Newton/Smith

This is gonna be a week in week out battle for Revis.

He's really gonna have to earn that $16 million a year.

My bet is that due to the injury and due to the increased level of competition he won't be the "Revis of old."

Nevertheless, even with Revis in the fold, in that division, with that competition and with Freeman at QB, the Bucs will constantly be fighting for a third place finish.

Enjoy your $16 million per year island Bucs fans....

The competition will definitely be much stiffer for him going forward. The Revis of old could handle it, no problem. Instincts tell me he'll be just as good now as before the injury, but you really do never know. I'm also certain that he may have a bad game or two now, whereas in the AFC east he could shut down just about anything without even trying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The competition will definitely be much stiffer for him going forward. The Revis of old could handle it, no problem. Instincts tell me he'll be just as good now as before the injury, but you really do never know. I'm also certain that he may have a bad game or two now, whereas in the AFC east he could shut down just about anything without even trying.
    For some reason Steve Johnson gave him some trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    SOME trouble, with the emphasis being on SOME. His best game against revis was something 7 catches for 70 yards, that's an OK game against any CB. Certainly not great.

By the Revis standard it is a bit of a slip up, I'll give you that. But he also showed up big time against the best the league has to offer. As far as I'm concerned, ANY CB that hold Megatron to 1 catch for 11 yards is a very special player.

He played off on Stevie giving him a free release. I don't know why but he never really pressed Johnson.

You also need to look at the cost to Tampa Bay in terms of the Revis salary. It seems to me that, like the Jets, Tampa has a lot more player needs but now that they have to pay Revis $16 million per year it's going to limit who they can and cannot sign.

My personal feeling is goodbye to a very selfish player. Sure he was a great player but how many teams are not going to be able to add more talent because of the contracts of a chosen few. Just take a look at the dismantling of the Ravens due to Flaco contract. Revise at one time said he wanted enough money in case his NFL career was cut short but I guess enough money means mega mansions, private planes and lots of expensive cars. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Darelle.

Jets Insider VIP
    While Revis not being as good is a probability, I just want to be clear, that either way, the JEts did well in this trade.

This is not one of those trades that is dependent on how the guy we got rid of does. He was leaving anyway cause the JEts and him never saw eye to eye on his value from day 1.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    He played off on Stevie giving him a free release. I don't know why but he never really pressed Johnson.
    That was the game plan that game.

Tedd Ginn Jr.

If Revis plays well this season does anybody think he will go into next season without a guaranteed long term contract? No flippin way. Secondly to put that much money onto a non QB is crippling. The Jets had or get rid of him. It was Revis choice not the Jets when all is really said and done.

He's not our worry anymore..

I will say that it can be proven a disaster and bad move on our part in time..

It's not like no player ever came back strong from this injury..

In today's world it happens more often..

And Revis is a superior athlete who keeps himself in superior shape..

People seem to think he is "done" I don't think so at all...

But on the Bucs side it works out as if he doesn't work out they can cut him..

Can we do that with Mark Sanchez??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    He's not our worry anymore..

I will say that it can be proven a disaster and bad move on our part in time..

It's not like no player ever came back strong from this injury..

In today's world it happens more often..

And Revis is a superior athlete who keeps himself in superior shape..

People seem to think he is "done" I don't think so at all...

But on the Bucs side it works out as if he doesn't work out they can cut him..

Can we do that with Mark Sanchez??
    actually, I believe we can at the end of the 13 season after he spends his year on the bench behind Garrard or as the #3 inactive where he CAN'T pee away game after game after game after game as he has done the last two sesaons

Quick question - do they still run the Tampa 2? What if Revis doesn't even like the scheme? He's a man corner, not a zone corner.

as long as he stays healthy, Revis will be fine.

his level of play may be more affected by Tampa's defensive scheme than by the level of competition. he has routinely faced, and beaten, the best WR's in football. but if Schiano and his staff don't take advantage of Revis' main strengths, they could limit his effectiveness.

either way, i wish him the best.

but i'll be laughing my ass off when he holds out a year from now and demands guaranteed money

The only thing that could hurt Revis is being out of Rex Ryan's scheme. Historically, CB's have ALWAYS had their best years under Rex.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Maybe the name Johnson made him feel that he shouldn't get too close..

Maybe the name Johnson made him feel that he shouldn't get too close..
    Lol that or the 52 yarder he got on him the game before

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Quick question - do they still run the Tampa 2? What if Revis doesn't even like the scheme? He's a man corner, not a zone corner.
    That's one of the reasons Aso bombed in Philly and why Cro wasn't the same in SD when they changed to zone..

Veteran
    Drew Brees is probably the most accurate top tier QB of all time, he is going to learn Revis' tendencies and then pick him apart.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That was the game plan that game.
    +1000 i argued with people daily about this after the game. They purposely played off him...gave him everything underneath.