Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Idzik ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Jets QB Sanchez was ‘furious’ at GM Idzik after injury

Between the season-ending shoulder surgery and the New York Jets‘ surprising 3-2 start under second-round pick Geno Smith, it is unlikely quarterback Mark Sanchez will ever take another snap in a Jets’ uniform.

But that apparently doesn’t mean the controversy has ended.

According Pro Football Talk, New York Post writer Brian Costello is reporting that Sanchez’s “emotions came out in a behind-the-scenes fit” after Sanchez hurt his right shoulder in the Jets’ third preseason game against the New York Giants. The 26-year-old quarterback was allegedly “furious” at John Idzik, screaming at the Jet’s general manager for putting him in the game.

To be fair to Sanchez, the Jet’s put the incumbent starting quarterback in the fourth quarter of a meaningless game behind an offensive line of third-stringers and scrubs. On the other hand, throwing a fit is not the way the leader of an NFL franchise should carry himself. This, along with his poor play, with undoubted spell the end of the Sanchez era in New York.

Sanchez was seen as the quarterback of the future for the Jets, who traded up in the first round of the 2009 draft to pick the former USC Trojan. It looked like Sanchez would become this quarterback after leading the Jets to the AFC Championship in his first two season. However, Sanchez failed to develop since then. In his career, Sanchez has completed 55-percent of his passes for 68 touchdowns and 69 interceptions.

> http://fansided.com/2013/10/09/jets-...-idzik-injury/

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Jets QB Sanchez was ‘furious’ at GM Idzik after injury

Between the season-ending shoulder surgery and the New York Jets‘ surprising 3-2 start under second-round pick Geno Smith, it is unlikely quarterback Mark Sanchez will ever take another snap in a Jets’ uniform.

But that apparently doesn’t mean the controversy has ended.

According Pro Football Talk, New York Post writer Brian Costello is reporting that Sanchez’s “emotions came out in a behind-the-scenes fit” after Sanchez hurt his right shoulder in the Jets’ third preseason game against the New York Giants. The 26-year-old quarterback was allegedly “furious” at John Idzik, screaming at the Jet’s general manager for putting him in the game.

To be fair to Sanchez, the Jet’s put the incumbent starting quarterback in the fourth quarter of a meaningless game behind an offensive line of third-stringers and scrubs. On the other hand, throwing a fit is not the way the leader of an NFL franchise should carry himself. This, along with his poor play, with undoubted spell the end of the Sanchez era in New York.

Sanchez was seen as the quarterback of the future for the Jets, who traded up in the first round of the 2009 draft to pick the former USC Trojan. It looked like Sanchez would become this quarterback after leading the Jets to the AFC Championship in his first two season. However, Sanchez failed to develop since then. In his career, Sanchez has completed 55-percent of his passes for 68 touchdowns and 69 interceptions.

> http://fansided.com/2013/10/09/jets-...-idzik-injury/

Right, but I saw many media types saying that they are OK with or even like Brady's tirades ON THE FIELD and that shows he is a leader. So going off on a GM in private is bad leadership but crying like a baby and screaming at your teammates on national TV is good leadership.

Hall Of Fame
    For one team, the prognosis was gloom-and-doom: a long and painful season ahead with very few wins, plenty of disappointments, a struggling quarterback and the coach's future looking grim.

For the other, the future looked remarkably bright: a potential division championship, a solid roster with a big-time quarterback, the coach's fate secure -- and realistic talk about being the first team to play a Super Bowl in its home stadium.

As it turns out, that's exactly the scenario that has materialized.

With one notable -- OK, we'll call it massive -- exception: We got the teams mixed up.

The Jets were the ones coming into the season with zero expectations -- at least positive expectations -- and the Giants, winners of two Super Bowls in a five-year span, appeared ready for another run if the circumstances fell right.

Hasn't quite turned out that way, has it?

The 3-2 Jets are the team whose future looks brightest -- and Tom Coughlin's 0-6 Giants are the ones with all the problems everyone expected Rex Ryan to have.

In a league that routinely produces surprise teams every year, the two biggest ones play here.

No one outside the Jets' locker room could have expected this kind of start, especially after all the drama of the offseason and preseason, capped by what turned out to be Mark Sanchez's season-ending shoulder injury against the Giants in the third preseason game.

The chaos that ensued, and the well-deserved criticism Ryan and the Jets absorbed for putting Sanchez in harm's way, looked as if it would be another sad chapter in the book of failure the Jets have written since winning Super Bowl III after the 1968 season.

Ryan seemed finished, for sure, and with rookie Geno Smith not looking ready to handle the starter's role, the Jets appeared headed for a long year.

Funny how reality changes perception. The Jets started off with a dramatic comeback win over the Bucs, nearly pulled off a road win in New England and then got to 3-2 with Monday's brilliant performance by Smith in a comeback win over the Falcons in Atlanta.

And here they are, at home on Sunday against the winless Steelers with a chance to set up a return engagement against the Patriots in which first place in the AFC East is on the line. If the Jets beat the Steelers and New England loses at home to the 5-0 Saints, then next week's Jets-Pats game at MetLife Stadium will be for the divisional lead just before the halfway mark.

I'm not sure anyone expected the Jets to get to four wins for the entire season, much less the first six games. But with Smith playing this well -- he won AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors for his efforts against the Falcons -- with a solid running game featuring three capable backs in Bilal Powell, Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson, and with a defense that has been nothing short of terrific, the Jets are in extraordinarily good shape right now.

And that's without former All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, whose trade led to the Jets drafting rookie sensation Sheldon Richardson.

Yes, things can and do change in the NFL, and there are no assurances moving forward. Certainly not with a rookie quarterback. But 3-2 with high hopes for the immediate future certainly beats the alternative.

It certainly beats 0-6, a nightmare record no one could have foreseen. Especially for a team that seemed to have a solid nucleus of quality players, starting with quarterback Eli Manning and including defensive linemen Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Tuck and wide receivers Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks.

But Manning is having by far the worst season of his career. He already has 15 interceptions and is on pace to finish with 40, two short of the NFL record for most picks in a season.

And the Giants' defense has been an embarrassment so far, allowing at least 31 points in each of the first five games and routinely allowing teams to roll up huge yardage and big plays week after week.

Coughlin, who might end up in the Hall of Fame for his brilliant work with the Giants, is at his wit's end trying to figure things out. And already there are murmurs about what lies ahead for the 67-year-old coach.

The only sliver of hope is the fact that the Cowboys and Eagles lead the division with only two wins apiece, so there is at least mathematical hope ahead. But there will be realistic hope only if the Giants start playing better and if Manning stops throwing interceptions.

Two teams, one stadium and two gigantic surprises between them.

For once, the Jets are on the right side of that scenario.

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...ants-1.6245698

Hall Of Fame
    Sometimes you hear that phrase “One step forward, two steps back” when it comes to teams that continuously shoot themselves in the foot, causing loss after mounting loss. Whether it be turnovers, or injuries, or bad playcalling, we can always point to multiple causes of concern after a bad performance. This time I think things are looking up for a change.Recently, the New York Jets announced the season ending injuries to Mike Goodson, and Clyde Gates. Goodson tore knee ligaments during a Geno Smith interception, and Gates has a shoulder injury that has sidelined him for the year. While I’m never going to be one to praise an injury, I think these are two injuries that the Jets will be able to overcome and produce better results by the end of this season.

Clyde Gates as a primary returner has not displayed anything in that role all year. In addition, Jeremy Kerley hasn’t shown much as a punt returner outside of maybe two or three good returns in six games this season. Josh Cribbs, who I love as a special teams player, was just signed this week. He fills two voids in my mind. He is going to return punts and kicks making Kerley just a receiver, and he can also be a 4th or 5th wide receiver and maybe get two or three passes on those quick hit type plays like wide receiver screens that Clyde Gates has been unable to do anything with this year. For his return abilities alone, if Cribbs is healthy, he will improve the field position on both kickoffs and punts, creating more points for the offense, better field position, and worse field position for opposing teams. I think he can do this almost immediately, and the offense and the defense will prosper because of it.

Next up is Mike Goodson. Although Mike is a good player, he missed four games of the season, and played in only two this year. Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory have taken a bit of a step back as they are all begging for playing time. I think by taking Goodson out of the equation, you inadvertently benefit Chris Ivory, and now each back has a chance to get between 10 and 20 carries per game and not be taken out of his rhythm being substituted constantly. I also thought Alex Green was a good 3rd back, and a good substitute as a do-it-all type of player. Because Goodson is out, Green can slide into that 3rd running back position and the coaches do not have to focus on finding ways to get him on the field. He can be content with up to five carries a game, if that, in spot duty, or specific situations.

Greg Salas, the second receiver signed this week has an actual opportunity to see the field as well. His 6’1 210 pound frame, and possession receiver play style all lend themselves well to spread formations with four or five wide receiver sets where his excellent hands might let him get some early playing time. Remember, with the current receivers Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Nelson, Cribbs, and Salas this is a team that has a chance to put out multiple different formations, improve in special teams, and have a better spread package on the field. Every receiver now compliments the other wideouts, and the term depth is pretty accurate now. I fully expect that by the end of the year, teams could be game-planning to stop the potent Jets passing attack.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/10/17/ne...bs-greg-salas/

Hall Of Fame
    Wesley Walker is no stranger to the Jets since his retirement following the 1989 season. He was one of our broadcasters for a while, he was inducted into the Ring of Honor last year, and he still comes to many games, most recently to watch the Jets-Steelers on Sunday and be on the field for Marty Lyons' Ring of Honor ceremonies.
    But Wesley made a trip to one of our games this year with not only football but reminiscence and thanks on his mind. It was to see first-year general manager John Idzik on the field before the Jets-Jaguars preseason game on Aug. 17.
    "I'm reading the newspaper one day back in January," Walker told me from the Chase Club in MetLife Stadium before Sunday's game, "and I see the Jets hired this guy John Idzik. I said, 'That's an interesting name. I knew a John Idzik.' "
    And how. Idzik Sr., John's father, was the Jets' offensive coordinator for the 1977-79 seasons, and in that role he received for his unit in the '77 draft a second-round speedster wideout from Cal by the name of Wesley Walker.
    Walker said he never knew that one of the ballboys at our offseason practices and training camps in those years was the OC's son. But when he found out the son had become his team's new GM, he had to set up a meeting.

"I wanted to meet John and tell him I had nothing but the most respect for his father," Walker said. "When you're a player trying to reach a certain level, you only meet so many coaches that really taught you something. John put me on another level. I can actually say, as a coach, 'You're supposed to get something from that guy and make him something else, take him from point A to point B.' And pretty soon you're performing on another level. That's what John did for me."
    Walker also said Idzik Sr. listened to suggestions from his players, perhaps another rarity among coaches then and now. Walker suggested a certain series of plays that he remembered was called "85 Option" or something like that. The wideout and his QB, Richard Todd, knew the adjustments to Idzik's offense would help them maximize their receptions. Idzik agreed.
    In his first three Jets seasons, Wesley totaled 106 catches for 2,478 yards (23.4-yard average) and 16 touchdowns. When "85 Option" kicked in in Walker's third season, he recalled one of its spectacular successes.
    "It was right after my All-Pro year [1978], we're playing Houston. They put it in the game plan and it's working," he said. "I got 100-something yards and the second quarter's not even over. Then boom! I get a knee injury, out for the season."
    John Idzik Jr., as a budding young Dartmouth College wideout himself at the time, saw many admirable traits in Walker.
    "Wesley was more than just a speed guy — he was a real good technician and his routes were great," Idzik reminisced. "He's an awesome guy and not a bad player, either. It was great seeing him again."
    Several things impressed Walker about the OC's son back in August and guarantee that No. 85 will continue to come to Jets games in the future.
    "Back in August, the Jets were trying to work something with some of the alumni and they had a sitdown with Rex Ryan at Florham Park, and I couldn't make it that day," he said. "So the next game was Jacksonville and I was able to come over.
    "I was about to look for John, but he saw me first and came over to me and I had a big hug for him. I was not only pleased that I got to see him, but he made the effort to come find me knowing that. Hopefully for him and the Jets, they keep winning this season. It's a whole different situation when you start winning. I have nothing but props for John and the Jets."

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...d-e583b4f0cfec

Hall Of Fame
    I think John Idzik signing Josh Cribbs is one of his best decisions since becoming the Jets GM. Seriously.

The New York Jets signed Josh Cribbs last week after flirting with him since the spring. Cribbs didn’t waste time showing why he was worth the flirtation in last Sunday’s game vs. the Patriots. Cribbs managed to be an instant legitimate factor on both the offensive and special teams side of the ball for the Jets and his contributions will certainly be needed the rest of the way if this team will have any chance at contending.

The Jets’ return game has suffered mightily since they released their Pro-Bowl returner Joe McKnight this past offseason and the return game has been everything short of awful this season and that’s putting it nicely. Jets rookie QB Geno Smith has had his share of ups and downs but there’s no question he and this Jets offense under the coaching of Marty Morninweg have become more unpredictable and surprising this season, especially when given solid field position. That’s what Cribbs will bring to the table, the ability to WANT the yards on the return as opposed to simply just catching the kickoffs and aiming for the Jets 20 yard line. That’s what we saw with Clyde Gates and Jeremy Kerley and it’s been painful to watch to say the least. Cribbs, if healthy instantly adds that much-needed determination to the return game that should help this offense immensely, especially vs. teams with solid/good defenses. The Jets hadn’t had a returner that actually took that job serious since Brad Smith held the job down for two seasons before leaving for Buffalo in 2011. I think we now have something exciting to look forward to and the threat of a return is real when kicking to Cribbs.

Cribbs saw the field on the offensive side of the ball vs. the Patriots in the Wildcat packages and as much as I hate the Wildcat calls, he actually looked really good leading the charge and yes, I want to see more of it with him. He has the skill set to make defenders miss and the speed to leave them behind in the open field. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Cribbs taking snaps at the WR position with the Jets desperately looking for someone to make a play at two at the position. Seeing just how quick and shifty he looked on the field vs. the Pats I have no doubts that, if healthy, Cribbs can and should be a legitimate part of the Jets passing attack as I’m certain Geno wouldn’t have any problems locating him in open space. Cribbs isn’t a tall target but Geno has shown, in college and so far as the Jets’ starting QB that size really isn’t much of a factor. I would love to see Cribbs used more on Go, Fly and Inside Slant routes as I believe he has the ability to break open a play at any given moment and that is just what the Jets have been missing, probably since the days of Santana Moss. Jets GM John Idzik has made quite a few solid moves since becoming the Jets GM and it’s too early to tell which move has actually helped this Jets team In no way am I suggesting that Cribbs is the “answer” but I am suggesting that if healthy he can add a dynamic to this team that should help it get over humps down the stretch as the weather starts to change and the little things like field position and getting those EXTRA yards on crucial downs start to become very important.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/10/25/ne...cribbs-factor/

Hall Of Fame
    This wasn’t supposed to work, this shotgun marriage between Rex Ryan and rookie general manager John Idzik.

It is working.

It is working so well that if Idzik were to walk into the team meeting Saturday night at the team hotel in Cincinnati and announce, “We have decided to offer Rex an extension,” Jets players, almost to a man, would stand and cheer.

I have seen enough from this Jets team, witnessed the growth of Geno Smith and the young, developing muscle and swag in the trenches on both sides of the ball to dismiss the likelihood of any second-half collapse.

I recognize a lot can happen between now and the end of the season, of course — these are the Jets, where any moment can be a Buttfumble moment — but I say if they can beat the Bengals on Sunday on the heels of beating the Patriots, get to 5-3 and establish themselves as legitimate playoff contenders, it would not necessarily be too early for Idzik to seek owner Woody Johnson’s consent to begin Rextension talks.

Because it is clear these Jets are Rallying ’Round Rex.

“I think that we’re building something here,” Austin Howard said. “It definitely would not be anything that anyone would be upset about, that’s for sure.”

Ryan is far from perfect on game day — he is challenged by coach’s challenges, sacrificing Mark Sanchez for the Snoopy Bowl would have been a fireable offense in some circles and letting Nick Folk attempt a 56-yard field goal could have been catastrophic against Tom Brady — but who could have possibly imagined he would be closer to MetLife Stadium’s Super Bowl than Tom Coughlin? Winning, and winning against all odds, with a rookie quarterback and no A.J. Green for him to throw to, is a great deodorant.

Perhaps most importantly, the buffoonery is gone, but what remains is a master motivator who once again has his finger on the pulse of the locker room.

He has shown himself to be a team player, more Corporate Rex than Corpulent Rex, able to navigate the treacherous back room minefield as he fights to keep his dream job as an erstwhile lame duck whose contract is up after the 2014 season.

“He’s just being himself. He’s not uptight. He gets the guys playing where they can play loose. You don’t have to worry about making a mistake, you just go ahead and play. It’s not how some coaches can be like drill sergeants or something, like, ‘You have to do this right here,’ ” Jeff Cumberland said. “I would love to play for him however long that I can.”

This arrangement can work as long as Ryan and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg continue their effective working relationship — “You got offense, I got defense.” If the Jets win, Ryan won’t have to hear the constant reminders he needs to be the coach of the whole team. A big key will be whether Mornhinweg can continue to nurture and mold Smith into a franchise quarterback.

“You could see each game that he’s ready, like if he can put some pads on and go out there and play he would,” Cumberland said.

It is all well and good to be a so-called players’ coach, but that by itself won’t save you if you are not respected.

“He has that type of fight in him that makes you want to go out there and fight hard in the fourth quarter and just lay it on the line for that type of dude because you know he makes you feel like he would do it for you,” Jeremy Kerley said. “He’s a great motivator, he has a great scheme, everything about him kind of motivates people.”

I asked Kerley if he senses guys would love to play for Ryan for years and years.

“Definitely,” he said. “Like I said, he’s just that type of guy. You can’t really put your finger on it, it’s just the vibe when you get around him.”

To some degree, there is always an element of lip service to questions about the coach. But there should be no downplaying the connection this coach has made with these players.

“Walking around, I’ve never heard anything said bad about Rex, or some guys questioned his judgment on how he goes about things,” Willie Colon said. “Whatever Rex says, we just go with it, because that’s our belief in him.”

The Bengals are 12-1 to win the Super Bowl. The Jets are 100-1.

“One of the reasons I came here was for Rex,” Colon said. “I came to be a Jet because of Rex, ’cause of his passionate side, his fearless side. … That’s how [Steelers coach] Mike [Tomlin] was. Coach Tomlin was a fearless, confident, compassionate person — probably not as outspoken as Rex is, but nevertheless, he had no problem stepping up to the plate. That’s what you want a coach to do — stand behind the guys and you stand behind him. This game is about fighting for each other. Rex is definitely that coach you know he’ll fight for you.”

As Darrelle Revis has learned, the grass is not always greener. Has anyone heard a Buccaneer say he loves Greg Schiano?

“I love Rex, man, on the field or off the field,” Colon said.

> http://nypost.com/2013/10/25/a-win-o...rex-ryans-job/

Hall Of Fame
    Last week, the Jets signed free agent wide receiver Greg Salas to their active roster. Jets fans might not know too much about Salas, so we’ve therefore been looking at game footage in detail to investigate what he could bring to the table.

The 25-year old Salas is a 6’1″, 210 pound receiver who was a fourth round pick in 2011 out of Hawaii. He appeared in six games for the St Louis Rams in his rookie season, catching 27 passes, but was then traded to the New England Patriots last year and hardly played. The Jets signed him off the Eagles practice squad on the same day as they signed Josh Cribbs.

After the jump, a review of Salas’ career and observations from having looked at film from the last few seasons to evaluate some of his strengths and weaknesses.

Who is Greg Salas?

Greg Salas had a productive four year career at Hawaii, operating in a pistol-spread offense. He started to emerge as a sophomore and then took the next step when he moved into a slot receiver role in his junior year. He was third in the country in receiving yards and made over 100 receptions and then improved on those numbers as a senior, leading the nation and earning a third-team all-American nomination.

After running a 4.53 at the combine and adding impressive numbers in the short shuttle (4.10), vertical jump (37″) and broad jump (120″), Salas was drafted by the Rams in the fourth round and moved into a backup role after catching seven passes in preseason. He made one start and averaged over 35 snaps per game in six appearances. He caught 27 passes for 264 yards, including an eight catch performance (for 77 yards) against the Packers, but then was placed on injured reserve in week 10.

After being traded to the New England Patriots for a draft pick last year, Salas made just one appearance and played just six snaps on offense (with no targets). He was then released and picked up on waivers by the Eagles before the Patriots could put him on their practice squad.

After remaining with the Eagles for the rest of the season but not seeing any action, he was unable to make their final roster this year and ended up on their practice squad. The Jets signed him from the Eagles’ practice squad, which means he must – by rule – remain on the Jets’ active roster for at least three weeks. He’s currently injured, though, so we may not see him in action until after the bye, although he is only listed as questionable for this weekend’s game.

The Numbers

Third season
    Seven games
    One start
    27 catches, 264 yards, no touchdowns
    9.8 yards per catch
    77% catch rate (last five seasons only)
    Four drops
    One carry for eight yards rushing
    Two punt returns for 29 yards and three fair catches
    Two fumbles as a receiver (not lost), one muffed punt (lost)
    One tackle on special teams
    Two 20+ yard plays (longest = 21 yards)

Observations

Based on all the footage watched, here was what Salas brings to the table, divided into categories:

Usage - Salas is regarded as a slot specialist. In 2011, the Rams used him in the slot on 178 of his 197 snaps. However, in preseason this year with the Eagles, he played on the outside a lot more and was in the slot just 13 times on 126 snaps.

Deep threat – Salas has been employed mostly as a possession receiver in the NFL. In fact, only three of his 35 targets in 2011 went more than 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. (He caught one, for 19 yards, and dropped one). He’s not entirely incapable of getting downfield though, as he showed on this spectacular play against the Patriots in preseason.

Blocking - It can’t be a coincidence that Salas is a solid blocker, just like the other two receivers signed recently (Josh Cribbs and David Nelson). All the linemen the Jets added during the offseason are good on the move and fit well in a west coast style blocking scheme and all the backs they’ve brought in have been elusive open field runners that can thrive in space. In a similar vein, the Jets seem to be targeting very specific types of receiver to fit into their offense. Having attended Hawaii (where he was a teammate of Alex Green) Salas will have some familiarity with pistol-based blocking schemes. In particular, he did a good job of blocking down on linebackers from the slot to help set the edge and seemed to have a good understanding of timing and angling his approach correctly. I didn’t see any mistakes either.

Routes - Salas catches a ton of short passes, so there’s little to assess in terms of complex route running patterns. On one play he showed good instincts to leak out into the flat after a blown play and he would seem to have all the tools to run quick outs and slants, although didn’t display this much in the footage watched. His one downfield catch came on a throw down the seam where he ran a go route into zone coverage.

Hands - As evidenced by the above film clip, Salas is capable of spectacular catches. His 77% catch rate speaks to his reliability too. That was the highest percentage in the league in 2011 for any receiver with 35 or more targets. While he does have four drops, one of these was a concentration drop in the flat and the other three were not routine catches. Perhaps the bigger concern is fumbles. He muffed one punt and had two fumbles as a receiver, one where the ball rolled out of bounds and another where his teammate recovered it. Perhaps more worryingly, there were two other plays where he almost fumbled but was ruled down.

Yards after the catch – This is another area where Salas has great numbers. He averaged 8.5 yards after the catch per reception in 2011 which was the most in the league for anyone with more than 20 catches. That’s particularly impressive considering his longest gain was only 21 yards, so there were no big plays with easy downfield yardage to artificially inflate the numbers. However, if you look at his 9.8 yards per catch average, you realize that he caught the ball less than two yards downfield on average, which gives some clues as to how he was used. Sure enough, he caught 11 of his 27 passes behind the line of scrimmage, gaining 108 yards.

Salas had three broken tackles and showed excellent elusiveness, further evidence of which is available on this touchdown he scored in preseason. He has a good sense of how to follow his blockers when catching screen passes and an ability to squirm out of tackles and fall forward for a couple of extra yards.

Special Teams – Salas is an option at punt returner, where he fielded five punts as a rookie. He had one sensational return for 29 yards, where he broke several tackles, but did also muff one, causing a turnover. He was also used as a punt gunner and while he only had one tackle, it was a good one, as he beat a double-vice and twisted the return man to the ground on the outside after a short return.

Demeanor - I didn’t see anything too significant in terms of cockiness and Salas has had no penalties in his NFL action so far. By all accounts, he is a hard-working player with a good attitude that should be fun to root for if he gets a decent shot.

Injuries – Salas had his 2011 season cut short with a broken leg and is currently dealing with a knee issue, but did return to practice this week (and has been listed as questionable). The timing of the signing was somewhat mystifying (especially since he has to remain on the roster for three weeks anyway), because the Jets were fully aware of the injury, which was no secret because the Eagles had gone out and signed another scout team receiver to replace him. He did remain healthy in college.

Conclusions

Salas didn’t exactly fall into a great situation in his first couple of seasons, firmly rooted behind Danny Amendola and then Wes Welker on the Rams and Pats depth charts. Having said that, he heads to New York with Jeremy Kerley emerging as one of the better slot receivers in the league so again he seems destined to be a bit part player unless there are more injuries.

Salas’ blocking is good and his open field running is outstanding, so I could see them putting him into certain packages that will best utilize his skill-set. As a rookie, he did make several mistakes which ate into his opportunities, especially early in the season. However, when given chances, he did produce and made some significant positive contributions.

While the timing of this signing was somewhat baffling, perhaps that’s a sign that there was competition for his services and the Jets needed to pull the trigger. That would show how high on him they are, while also showing that there was at least one other team that was interested in retaining his rights. Of course, it may also have been timed so that he could give them some intel on the Patriots for last week’s game.

This looks to be a signing with some upside, but also someone who is a good fit for the offensive scheme and with some NFL experience which will come in handy if called upon for a more significant role.

Note: While the Jets also signed cornerback Ras-I Dowling this week, he was only added to the practice squad, so you won’t get a BGA scouting report on him unless and until he’s called up to the active roster.

> http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-scouting-greg-salas/

Hall Of Fame
    Idzik must decide if Geno is franchise QB

Come closer. I’m going to let you in on a secret, but you have to keep your voice down.

I have a confession to make: I have no idea how good or bad Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith is.

Shhh. Shhh. I can’t let people find out, especially my boss. This is 2013 when everyone with a Twitter account has an opinion … or take, that’s what they call opinions now. In this era of talk radio and people scoring points on ESPN for shouting louder than the person in the box next to them, you have to have a take. Everything is black or white. The gray area died about five or six years ago.

That has led to the back and forth this Jets season with everyone racing to be the first to say “Geno Smith is a franchise quarterback” or “Geno Smith stinks.”

But my friends in the media and I can get away with being wrong about Smith, who has been harder to figure out than AP calculus. The guy who has to make the right call on what Smith is or is not is Jets general manager John Idzik.

Idzik has eight games to decide whether Smith is the quarterback the Jets have been looking for since Joe Namath left town in the late 1970s — the one that is going to lead them to the Super Bowl. Or is he the latest in a long line of misses at the position?

The beauty of where the Jets drafted Smith — in the second round — is they can move on pretty easily after this season if they don’t like what they see. Smith is scheduled to make a little more than $1 million next year. So if Idzik decides Smith is not the guy to hand the franchise over to, he could draft a quarterback and have him compete with Smith or make Smith the backup without any guilt over a huge investment being made in him.

The 2014 quarterback class is already viewed as one of the deepest in years. Oregon’s Marcus Mariota, Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater and UCLA’s Brett Hundley top the class, but there is depth with Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, LSU’s Zach Mettenberger and Alabama’s AJ McCarron right behind them. If the Jets fall in love with one of those quarterbacks, they can’t pass just because Smith might be the guy. They have to be certain.

Idzik’s task is not an easy one. Smith has looked like the answer at times this season and looked lost at others. Last year’s rookie quarterbacks altered people’s perceptions of how rookies can play in the NFL. Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson were clear-cut franchise quarterbacks after their rookie year. Usually, it’s much tougher to assess, and Smith fits right in line with that.

The 4-4 Jets have gone as Geno has gone this year. In the four wins, he has thrown seven touchdowns and four interceptions and added two rushing touchdowns. In the four losses, he has just one touchdown and nine interceptions.

This will be the biggest decision Idzik will have to make in his early career as Jets general manager — even bigger than whether to trade Darrelle Revis. Nothing dooms a franchise more than sticking with the wrong quarterback for too long, and it is rare to find a franchise quarterback anywhere other than the draft.

If you take the 10 highest-rated quarterbacks this season, only Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are not playing for their original teams. The Colts and Chargers moved on after those players suffered serious injuries, opting for a younger quarterback, and the Broncos and Saints benefited, but those are rare exceptions.

If Idzik decides to stick with Smith and he fails it could set the franchise back for several years. Then you’re talking about drafting someone in 2015 or ’16 and giving them a few years to develop. It would also mean passing on the class of ’14 and possibly missing out on the answer to the position.

The Jets have to look no further than their recent history with Mark Sanchez to see what sticking with the wrong guy can do. The Jets were fooled by four playoff wins in his first two years into thinking he was the answer. The next two years showed Sanchez wasn’t and they found themselves back at square one this year drafting Smith and opening up the job.

I’d like to end this column with a declarative sentence telling Idzik what he should do — something Skip Bayless could shout. But eight games into his rookie year, Smith is a mystery to me.

Jets fans better hope Idzik does not feel the same way in two months.

> http://nypost.com/2013/10/29/idzik-m...-franchise-qb/

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Idzik must decide if Geno is franchise QB

> http://nypost.com/2013/10/29/idzik-m...-franchise-qb/
    Is that not about the most obvious article that could be written? Obviously, Idzik must decide whether to stick with the existing roster or draft.

The point is pretty meaningless because all those guys who are supposed to be great draft options will be drafted before we have a chance to even think about them. Too many teams in the league have a QB need; if not an immediate need then a need to have a viable franchise QB in a year or two. You're talking six QBs--at best--and we are likely to draft in the middle of the pack. Idzik is not the kind of guy who is going to toss out a rookie who has shown decent performance to trade away draft picks to get into the top ten. It's not his style. It's not the direction of the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    Is that not about the most obvious article that could be written? Obviously, Idzik must decide whether to stick with the existing roster or draft.

The point is pretty meaningless because all those guys who are supposed to be great draft options will be drafted before we have a chance to even think about them. Too many teams in the league have a QB need; if not an immediate need then a need to have a viable franchise QB in a year or two. You're talking six QBs--at best--and we are likely to draft in the middle of the pack. Idzik is not the kind of guy who is going to toss out a rookie who has shown decent performance to trade away draft picks to get into the top ten. It's not his style. It's not the direction of the team.
    the " i-man " could always decide to trade-up in the draft & select a qb

Hall Of Fame
    John Idzik : Rex Ryan is 'our leader'

-- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan received a glowing endorsement Monday from his boss, but no commitment beyond this season -- not yet, anyway.

Neither did quarterback Geno Smith.

General manager John Idzik, who drafted Smith and inherited Ryan when he was hired in January, declined to comment on Ryan's future, saying, "We're living in the moment."

It's been great working with Rex and his staff. ... Rex has pulled it all together. He's our leader.
    ” -- John Idzik, Jets GM

But Idzik, speaking to the media for the first time in nearly two months, made it clear he's pleased with Ryan and the progress of the organization, which underwent major changes.

"I think he's done very well," Idzik said during his bye-week address on the state of the team. "It's been great working with Rex and his staff. … Rex has pulled it all together. He's our leader."

Ryan is signed through 2014. Because teams usually don't want lame-duck coaches, the Jets are expected to make a decision on him at the end of the season. They can fire him or extend his contract.

The other big decision that looms in the offseason is the quarterback position. Smith has endured a "lot of ups and downs," according to Idzik, who praised the rookie for the way he has handled different game plans and the intense scrutiny of playing quarterback in New York.

In theory, the Jets have to decide whether Smith is their quarterback of the future or whether they want to start over by picking one in the 2014 draft, which will be deep with quarterbacks. But Idzik downplayed the sense of urgency, saying, "I don't think there's a definite timeline with Geno."

Idzik said there will be no definitive moment when the Jets know for sure whether Smith is the answer. He said there will be "a feeling you get in the building."

With Smith at quarterback, the Jets (5-4) have exceeded expectations, having defeated two elite teams, the New Orleans Saints and New England Patriots.

"I wouldn't say it's a surprise to anyone of us in the building," Idzik said, adding that "no one is happy at 5-4."

Idzik added context, saying he's pleased with the culture of the organization and how Ryan has fielded a competitive team despite roster and coaching-staff upheaval. The first-time general manager said he and owner Woody Johnson will decide Ryan's fate. Ryan deflected questions about his future.

"Our job is incomplete," he said. "We have a long way to go."

Ryan and Idzik had no previous working relationship, and their pairing was perceived as awkward, considering how they were thrown together. Idzik traded Ryan's best player, cornerback Darrelle Revis, and handed him a rebuilt roster. The Jets have seven new starters on defense, but the defense has carried the team.

"He's the fire. He's the fire behind all this," guard Willie Colon said. "Right now, he's being a great coach and doing a great job."

Ryan has a 39-34 record in four-plus seasons, along with four playoff wins. His star faded the previous two seasons, as the Jets stumbled to 8-8 and 6-10. He survived an organizational purge that claimed former general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Idzik dodged questions about injured quarterback Mark Sanchez, refusing to say whether the former starter will be on the team next season even though he's under contract -- a telling nonendorsement.

"I'm not looking that far in advance," Idzik said.

Sanchez, recovering from season-ending shoulder surgery, is expected to be released. He has a $13.1 million cap charge in 2014, including a $2 million roster bonus due in March.

"Mark so far has done a nice job with his rehab, and we just want to get him back and get him 100 percent," Idzik said. "That's what we're focused on right now."

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...tment-rex-ryan

Hall Of Fame
    Green Day : No comfort zone under Idzik

-- After seven weeks of hiding from the media, John Idzik emerged from his bunker Monday and delivered a bye-week state of the team. The general manager gave predictable answers, saying nice things about Rex Ryan and Geno Smith but refusing to commit to them beyond this season.

I think the classic Idzik-ian comment came near the end of his session, when he provided a quick, but revealing glimpse into his organizational philosophy. It was tantamount to covering the floor with egg shells, because he wants everyone in the building to feel like they're walking on them."In this league, whether it's evaluating the quarterback position, evaluating anything you're doing, if you have a feeling of contentment or complacency, you're at risk -- and we're not going to have that feeling in this building," he said. "We'll always push this train going forward."

In other words, even if Idzik knows Smith will be his starting quarterback in 2014, he's not about to make that public. The same could be said of Ryan's uncertain situation. The idea is to keep everyone on edge, fueling competition and production. I've seen that approach work (the Bill Parcells era) and I've seen it fail (Eric Mangini era). In the end, it usually comes down to the quality of the players and coaches walking on those egg shells. Fill the roster with good players, and the team will win.

ICYMI: Here's more from Idzik on Rex, etc. ... Receiver Jeremy Kerley has a dislocated elbow, according to a source, and will miss a few weeks. It doesn't appear to be a season-ending injury. That hurts the receiving corps, but tight end Kellen Winslow and, quite possibly, receiver Santonio Holmes will be ready for the next week. That's Week 11, after the bye. ... Quarterbacks coach David Lee offered his mid-season take on Smith. There's some good stuff here from the refreshingly candid assistant coach. ... Former Jet Bart Scott, a two-faced phony, slammed Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ne-under-idzik

Hall Of Fame
    The press conference lasted 23 minutes and there was going to be no definitive answer coming from Jets general manager John Idzik about the future of his head coach Rex Ryan — not even if the session had lasted 223 minutes.

That is not how Idzik operates. He plods at his own pace. Monday’s bye week state-of-the-team address was, after all, only the third time he has spoken to the media since the beginning of September.

While being probed for the slightest a hint about whether Ryan will remain with the team beyond this year, Idzik referenced “living in the moment’’ (or a phrase close to it) almost as many times as his rookie quarterback Geno Smith has thrown interceptions this season.

Ryan’s status has been a hot topic since he was retained by owner Woody Johnson after last season’s 6-10 mess that got general manager Mike Tannenbaum fired and Idzik hired — on the condition Idzik keep Ryan for at least the 2013 season.

Idzik’s arrival, along with the owner’s Ryan stipulation, led to immediate speculation the new general manager will want to bring in his own guy to coach the team as soon as Johnson gives him the green light. So, too, did the fact the bombastic Ryan and buttoned-down Idzik appeared on the surface to be an odd couple destined for a quick divorce.

But some funny things have happened en route to Idzik’s path to bringing in his own guy after this season: Having the Jets at 5-4 with signature wins over the Patriots and Saints and with a soft second-half schedule ahead, only Andy Reid with his 9-0 Chiefs is standing in the way of Ryan being the front-runner as the NFL’s Coach of the Year.

So, barring a Jets collapse in the final seven games, during which they play teams with a cumulative current record of 22-32, whether he likes it or not — and it appears he might be just fine with it — Idzik and Ryan will remain together for the foreseeable future.

And that’s the way it should be.

Ryan, whose contract runs out after next season, deserves an extension, and Johnson would not be out of line giving it to him right now if he chose to.

“Let things transpire and play out,’’ Idzik said. “We’re living in the moment. We’ve been through a lot in a little time. A lot has transpired in nine weeks.’’

Idzik went on to rattle off the three new coordinators on Ryan’s coaching staff, including an almost entirely new offensive staff, and a revolving door of personnel coming in during the middle of the season and producing for the team.

Idzik called it a “tribute to Rex’’ for making it all work amid the chaos, saying, “Rex has pulled it all together. He’s our leader.’’

But for how long? The next seven games? Long-term?

Idzik, of course, would not relent, though he did say, “It’s been a joy to work with Rex.’’

Ryan has taken a team with a talented but inconsistent rookie quarterback living out his growing pains on Sundays, meshed him with a new offensive coordinator (Marty Mornhinweg) and limited skill position talent, and gotten a team that was predicted to win four or five games all season to overachieve at 5-4.

If the regular season ended today, the Jets would be a wild-card playoff team — something that seemed as likely as Santonio Holmes offering to give some of his salary back for missing so many games the last two seasons.

Along the way, Ryan has made Idzik look like a genius, taking the new players the GM signed during the course of the season (See: receivers David Nelson, Greg Salas; tight end Zach Sudfeld) and turning them into key contributors.

When these positive assessments of his work were presented to him on Monday, Ryan cringed, retreating into his new “Humble Rex’’ persona that has transformed since working for the conservative Idzik.

“Our job is incomplete,’’ Ryan said. “We have seven games left in the regular season. I’m not looking down the road; I’m looking at what’s in front of me. To think about anything else at this time, that’s not appropriate.’’

Ryan’s words were right out of the Idzik playbook.

“We live in the moment, we play in the moment and we practice in the moment,’’ Idzik said. “If you have a feeling of contentment and complacency, you’re at risk.’’

Maybe he thinks it’s a risk so give Ryan an extension now. But it is inevitable.

> http://nypost.com/2013/11/04/jets-gm...t-rexs-future/

Hall Of Fame
    The enigmatic New York Jets general manager John Idzik addressed the media yesterday for the first time in what seems like a lifetime. One can surmise that the bye week and huge upset win against the New Orleans Saints provided the perfect opportunity to let the people hear it from the horse’s mouth. Not surprisingly, John Idzik didn’t provide too much detail in typical John Idzik fashion-Pokerfaced.

John Idzik has stuck to his guns all season with regards to the philosophy of competition at every position, every week. You see it throughout the entire organization and the fact that Matt Simms is the number 2 quarterback this year and not Greg McElroy is a testament to that. Despite the fact that an injury or two provided the opportunity Simms took the opportunity, ran with it, and earned his position on that depth chart. Rich Cimini of ESPN New York wrote about Idzik’s competition mantra and quoted Idzik as saying:

“In this league, whether it’s evaluating the quarterback position, evaluating anything you’re doing, if you have a feeling of contentment or complacency, you’re at risk”

This is exactly what you want to hear from your general manager. Not only does Idzik preach this philosophy, he practices it as well. You can take a look at our limited skill position players as the perfect example. The NFL is not like Major League Baseball where trades are the norm. If you don’t draft the next future star of your organization, you will most likely have to supplement what you have with role players off the scrap heap or injury prone roll of the dice. Idzik has continued to bring in talent throughout the year to the organization via these free agent signings etc. If you take a look at two huge contributors to this week’s win against New Orleans, Zach Sudfield and Greg Salas weren’t even on the team at the beginning of the year. This mindset has definitely rubbed off on Geno as well as he echoes the Idzikian philosophy after every press conference. Hopefully Geno can make John Idzik’s decision on the QB for 2014 a bit easier and grabs the bull by the horns in the second half of the year.

John Idzik also spoke a bit about Rex and his contract situation. Rex was not exempt from the competition mantra either as Idzik, when asked about the contract, didn’t show his hand. He did not voice any commitment to anything past this year. As Idzik put it, he wants to, “Let things transpire and play out,’’ As much as we love football for our own enjoyment, it is still a business; A very profitable business at that. In any business, if you do not perform, you will not be needed. Idzik, unlike many GM’s in the league, isn’t showing any allegiances to anyone. Let’s be honest though, how surprised would the entire league be if Rex wasn’t extended at the end of the year. He sees the proverbial “big picture” and for the first time in a very long time, we as Jets fans can feel comfortable in the front office and the decisions our GM John Idzik is making. In Idzik We Trust.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/11/05/jo...ss-fans-media/

Hall Of Fame
    In this new regime of keeping things close to the vest, it’s not that often we get the chance to hear from general manager John Idzik. So, when he takes the time to talk to the media, everyone takes a moment to listen. One topic on everyone’s mind, when questioning John Idzik, is head coach Rex Ryan’s future. Here is what he had to say about assessing Rex through nine games:

I think Rex, it’s not only for the regular season the first nine weeks, again, this dates back to when I first came here, I think he’s done very well. It’s been great working with Rex and his staff. Here’s another guy that not only am I new, we changed some faces on our personnel staff as we went through free agency and the draft, and then post draft. We’ve changed quite a number of faces on the coaching staff, three new coordinators. (We have) five new coaches, I believe, on offense, a couple new coaches on defense, special teams, every phase. Rex has pulled it all together. He’s our leader. Then once you look at what we’ve done on our roster, same thing. You have seen it. We’ve had a lot of new faces, lot of new starters, lot of new guys coming in midstream during those nine weeks. And they’re productive in a short period of time. That’s a tribute to Rex, it’s a tribute to our staff. It’s a tribute to Marty (Mornhinweg), DT (Dennis Thurman), Ben (Kotwica), our coordinators, all the guys on the staff. It’s worked extremely well so far.

Here is the comment that everyone is talking about, when he was asked about Rex’s future:

Again, we’re living in the moment. Especially when you’re in the regular season, as you have witnessed so far, each week is precious, each game is precious. The one thing this league teaches you is that if you skip a beat, you’ll pay. We’re just too competitive of a league. So we, meaning myself, our staff, Rex, his staff, the players, we’re trying to remain disciplined in living in the moment and not getting too far ahead of ourselves. But in terms of my working relationship with Rex, again, it’s been a joy to work with Rex.

Despite that comment, do not read into that. Barring a complete collapse in the second half, I don’t see any reason why John Idzik would fire Rex Ryan. It just wouldn’t make any sense.

Idzik isn’t stupid. He can understand that the coach has the support of the players. He might not have wanted to keep his coach when he got here, but now that he is here, all he has talked about is the great working relationship. These guys are working well together.

The telling point is when he says that Rex is “our leader”. That he “has pulled it all together”. John Idzik knows that Rex is getting the job done as the head coach for this team. He knows that nobody is a better fit that Rex is.

Then, why won’t he commit to Rex for the future? Because THEY NEVER MAKE THESE COMMITMENTS IN-SEASON! Woody Johnson has made it a practice to not talk about contracts during the season, a practice which he enforced through previous general manager Mike Tannenbaum, and now through John Idzik.

For all we know, Idzik wants to commit to Rex, and Woody said no. The fact that he is “living in the moment” is not a referendum on Rex’s performance. Rex has gotten far more out of this team than anyone expected, and John Idzik knows it. Don’t read too far into his comments about living in the moment. I think Rex will be living a lot of moments in Green and White going forward.

> http://thejetpress.com/2013/11/06/jo...new-york-jets/

Hall Of Fame
    So cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is a free agent and a lot of folks on Twitter believe the New York Jets should pursue him. Hello? This isn't 2011.

He's done.

The Mike Tannenbaum-led Jets breathlessly courted Asomugha in 2011 during the lockout-shortened free-agency period before training camp, offering him $10 million per year (a shade below Darrelle Revis) on a multi-year contract. Luckily for the Jets, he decided to take his talents to South Philly, signing with the Eagles, who quickly realized his skills had eroded.

The San Francisco 49ers took a one-year flyer on Asomugha; he played in only three games and was released earlier this week. He's 32 years old and hasn't played well since 2010. Once regarded as the best corner in the NFL, Asomugha was rated 103rd at his position last season by ProFootballFocus. He allowed a 67 percent completion rate and five touchdown passes, per PFF.

He makes no sense for the Jets. He'd be what Bill Parcells used to call a "progress stopper." You bring in a player like Asomugha, and suddenly he's stealing time from a young player. They have a talented but inconsistent rookie in Dee Milliner, in whom they invested a guaranteed $12.7 million, and he needs to play. He displayed signs of progress last Sunday against the New Orleans Saints, perhaps a turning point. Kyle Wilson is solid as the slot corner. Barring injury, Asomugha would be the fourth corner on the Jets. If you haven't noticed, they don't use a lot of four-corner packages anymore.

I'd be surprised if general manager John Idzik makes a play for Asomugha, a once-great player who is unemployed for a reason.

ICYMI : Injured running back Mike Goodson was indicted on weapons charges Thursday by a grand jury in Morris County (N.J.) stemming from his May 17 arrest. This wasn't unexpected, but it marked another negative development in a nightmarish six-month period. ... Check out our bye-week version of the Gang Green Report, an analysis of what it will take for the Jets to make the playoffs.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...y-no-to-nnamdi

Hall Of Fame
    The Buffalo Bills have released former Jets wide receiver, kick returner and Wild Cat specialist Brad Smith on an injury settlement, CBS's Jason LaCanfora reports.

After two successful years with New York, mainly running the Wild Cat and returning kicks, Smith signed a four-year, $15 million deal with Buffalo in July of 2011. Smith had only 37 catches for a total of 392 yards and three receiving touchdowns in 30 games played with the Bills.

One could have made the case for the Jets to bring back Smith, had the team not signed WR/KR Josh Cribbs last month. Cribbs has assumed his role well, even making some plays out of the Wild Cat formation, including a 25-yard pass to Zach Sudfeld in last Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints.

Smith has yet to appear in a game this season due to injury.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...ase-brad-smith