Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guards in the top 15

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Guards in the top 15

You don't use draft picks in the top 15 on guards. It is a waste of draft picks. IMO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it is ever a waste to pick the best player in a draft at his position. The reason why guards are in play more this year than others? Two guards are very highly thought of this year and the draft is weak in other areas outside of the oline at the top of the draft. No QB's worthy up that high (or at least one at the most), all Dlineman have a question mark.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    so we cant take a guy who will dominate his position for the next 10-12 years and is as sure a starter and probowler thats in this draft unless we trade back to 16....got it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    so we cant take a guy who will dominate his position for the next 10-12 years and is as sure a starter and probowler thats in this draft unless we trade back to 16....got it.
    Not when there are skill position players that are there. Guards are not as valuable. You can find a Guard in lower rounds

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    Not when there are skill position players that are there. Guards are not as valuable. You can find a Guard in lower rounds
    Ughhhh. Not this debate again. Plus, name the all the skill position players that will be sitting there at 9 worth drafting there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    wrong....if our scouts dont have high grades on austin/eifert...u take the stud guard who everyone has high grades on. end of story.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Besides the fact that I do not agree with the totem that Guards are not valuable enough to be picked that high, exactly what skill position players are so impressive that you'd cross two potential perennial probowlers off your list for?

Austin? The most undersized top ten WR prospect I've ever heard of? Patterson (S.Hill 2.0?) One of the many disputed over QBs (if so, hey ok sure, but why still not take a guard with the second pick to protect them?). There isn't even 1 RB CLOSE to being valued as a top 10-15 talent.

If you're talking about pass rushers, fine, but we're almost definitely not going back to back on them with 9 and 13 so I still don't see how you can cross off two excellent, once in a decade Guard prospects so quickly based off some mantra.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This draft is going to be so unpredictable.None of the players who we would have an interest in could be there at 9 and 13, or both could be there. A real weak draft

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    +1

I don't get it

Guys like Warmack and Cooper possess legit all-pro upside and can step in from day 1 and make an impact.

The same people who say "you don't draft a guard at the top of the draft" are the same people who will be b*tching their lungs out when Ducasse gets our QB (whoever it is) killed or Goodson/Ivory are running for 2 yards and a cloud of dust on every play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

I don't get it

Guys like Warmack and Cooper possess legit all-pro upside and can step in from day 1 and make an impact.

The same people who say "you don't draft a guard at the top of the draft" are the same people who will be b*tching their lungs out when Ducasse gets our QB (whoever it is) killed or Goodson/Ivory are running for 2 yards and a cloud of dust on every play.
    Is there a chance both will be drafted before #9?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Is there a chance both will be drafted before #9?
    I don't think so

One may go off the board to Arizona or Buffalo, but I doubt both will be taken before #9.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so

One may go off the board to Arizona or Buffalo, but I doubt both will be taken before #9.
    Agreed, if both are gone at 9, then that would suggest there could have been 5 O linemen taken in the first 8 picks (3 LTs, 2 OGs). Highly unlikely.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed, if both are gone at 9, then that would suggest there could have been 5 O linemen taken in the first 8 picks (3 LTs, 2 OGs). Highly unlikely.
    Yeah, just don't see it happening.

I think Lane Johnson falls to Arizona and then worst case scenario only one of Warmack/Cooper go off the board to Buffalo.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, just don't see it happening.

I think Lane Johnson falls to Arizona and then worst case scenario only one of Warmack/Cooper go off the board to Buffalo.
    I pray your right.Those guards and tackles look to be the only can't miss 1st round guys, thats what scares me

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ughhhh. Not this debate again. Plus, name the all the skill position players that will be sitting there at 9 worth drafting there.
    It's funny, as soon as you ask the "just say no to OG" mob that question ^^ , all you get is crickets in return...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1!

All the skill players in the world won't mean squat if you can't control the LOS..

And Cooper & Warmack by all reports are once in a decade+ type players...

I'm siding towards Cooper because he seems a better fit for a Zone Blocking Scheme the Jets are reportedly going back to after Sparano's system

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    +1!

All the skill players in the world won't mean squat if you can't control the LOS..

And Cooper & Warmack by all reports are once in a decade+ type players...

I'm siding towards Cooper because he seems a better fit for a Zone Blocking Scheme the Jets are reportedly going back to after Sparano's system
    If we could nab Cooper and ansah,i'll be doing backflips for hours.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    It's funny, as soon as you ask the "just say no to OG" mob that question ^^ , all you get is crickets in return...
    We have pretty much debunked the Cordarrelle Patterson myth as top 15 pick, which was the player that most of the people were initially citing, I guess Austin is the lone play maker left that has any chance of going that high, but that is it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I would take the best available pass rusher at 9

at 13 I take Austin/Eifert/Star

You can find trench monsters in later rounds. This is a passing game. You need weapons to pass and weapons to defend the pass. Guards are a dime a dozen. You can find a Pro-Bowl caliber guard in later rounds. Would the Patriots take a Guard in that position? I hightly doubt it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take the best available pass rusher at 9

at 13 I take Austin/Eifert/Star

You can find trench monsters in later rounds. This is a passing game. You need weapons to pass and weapons to defend the pass. Guards are a dime a dozen. You can find a Pro-Bowl caliber guard in later rounds. Would the Patriots take a Guard in that position? I hightly doubt it.

Logan Lee Mankins (born March 10, 1982) is an American football guard for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Fresno State, and was drafted by the Patriots in the first round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He has been selected for the Pro Bowl five times and has played in two Super Bowls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Mankins

And what if the best available pass rusher is ranked #20 on the board