Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guards in the top 15

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Logan Lee Mankins (born March 10, 1982) is an American football guard for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Fresno State, and was drafted by the Patriots in the first round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He has been selected for the Pro Bowl five times and has played in two Super Bowls.
    32nd overrall. Last time I checked that wasn't in the top 15

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Allen "Hawg" Hannah (born April 4, 1951) is a former American football left guard who played for the New England Patriots (19731985) in the National Football League. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1991, and Sports Illustrated dubbed him, on its August 3, 1981, cover, "The Best Offensive Lineman of All Time."

Hannah joined the Patriots in 1973 as the 4th overall pick in the 1973 NFL Draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    32nd overrall. Last time I checked that wasn't in the top 15
    And what if the best available pass rusher is ranked #20 on the board

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Allen "Hawg" Hannah (born April 4, 1951) is a former American football left guard who played for the New England Patriots (19731985) in the National Football League. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1991, and Sports Illustrated dubbed him, on its August 3, 1981, cover, "The Best Offensive Lineman of All Time."

Hannah joined the Patriots in 1973 as the 4th overall pick in the 1973 NFL Draft.
    That was when the Patriots made ****ty decisions like the current Jets. Belichick would never pick a guard that high.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was when the Patriots made ****ty decisions like the current Jets. Belichick would never pick a guard that high.
    So it was a ****ty decision to select an eventual HOF player and was named at one time the "The Best Offensive Lineman of All Time." Got it..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it was a ****ty decision to select an eventual HOF player and was named at one time the "The Best Offensive Lineman of All Time." Got it..
    That was 40 friggin years ago. Football has changed a little bit since then You a Ground and Pound guy like Rex?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you don't have a good QB, the next best thing is to have a dominant running game. That running game can't exist without a great O-Line.

I have no problem taking Warmack or Cooper at #9 or #13.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was 40 friggin years ago. Football has changed a little bit since then You a Ground and Pound guy like Rex?
    No..So OGs don't help protect the pocket? Interesting..If anything OGs are more important now than 40 "friggin years ago"...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would the Patriots take a Guard in that position? I hightly doubt it.
    Well, they used a top-5 pick on John Hannah and a 1st round pick on Logan Mankins. But, maybe you're right. Perhaps they would have been much better off with George Amundson and Mark Bradley instead.

Edit: Looks like CMart was all over this already.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We got a Mankins clone in the 3rd round. A perfect place to draft a Guard. Luckily you guys weren't in the war room

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We got a Mankins clone in the 3rd round. A perfect place to draft a Guard. Luckily you guys weren't in the war room
    Reportedly by Tony Pauline, Cooper was going to be the Jets pick at #9.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The dolphins took Mike Pouncey around 15 a couple of years ago, and at the time I wasn't a huge fan of it. Not only that, but they decided to put him at center which made me question it even more. Pouncey is now a top 3 center, and I absolutely love the pick. To me, if the player you pick goes on to be one of the best at his position, then he is absolutely worth that pick. Now if a Calvin Johnson type goes after him, then obviously you're going to be dissapointed. Also, when you're rebuilding, sometimes a safe pick is the better way to go, and guards are considered safer.

Also, I hate when people say that you can find guards later in the draft. Obviously thats true, but it is true for any position. I would be curious to see the probowl players of the last 10 years, and what round they were drafted in. I bet it is pretty similar for all players besides maybe quarterbacks.