Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Ivory to jets for 5th rounder?

Does Ivory signing his tender contract effect the trade in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by gark2k View Post
    Does Ivory signing his tender contract effect the trade in any way?
    It actually makes him eligible to be traded. Hopefully we can get him for a 5th

This stinks of Tannenbaumism. I positively HATE that Idzik's very first major move as GM will be to trade away picks. HATE THIS

This franchise needs to get so far away from Tannenbaumism, which means acquiring picks... not trading them away, even if Ivory might be worth a 5th rounder (questionable at best due to his injury history).

I don't want Ivory for anything more than a 6th round pick. That's it. The guy is always injured and is 4th string on the Saints.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    This stinks of Tannenbaumism. I positively HATE that Idzik's very first major move as GM will be to trade away picks. HATE THIS

This franchise needs to get so far away from Tannenbaumism, which means acquiring picks... not trading them away, even if Ivory might be worth a 5th rounder (questionable at best due to his injury history).

I don't want Ivory for anything more than a 6th round pick. That's it. The guy is always injured and is 4th string on the Saints.
    Please stop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I wanted him if he got cut..

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    This guy has a broken tackle every 4.9 touches. That's 57 broken tackles on 279 carries, and a 5.1 YPC average. That's running on 80% of the snaps he's been in so they are certainly focusing on him when he's in there, and he just turned 25. That sounds like pretty damn good deal for a 4th round pick to me.
    If you go to the Saints forum, they love Ivory. Think he's the best back they have

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Please stop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Tannenbaum's frivolous waste of picks through the years by trading up and trading away picks for questionable players left the Jets with absolutely no depth or young prospects.

That philosophy is a failing one and that's what has to stop. No team has pissed away more picks over the last decade than the NY Jets. It has to stop.

Notice how Cimini says the Jets would gladly do it for a 5th round pick. There's no way on God's green earth that New Orleans would do it for a 5th round pick. Unless we're willing to give up our 3rd round pick I doubt a deal gets done. New Orleans LOVES Ivory and would rather part with Ingram. That's been noted. Maybe a 4th could get it done if they throw in a 6th in 2014.

Aside from that, I'd love to see us acquire Ivory. He's still relatively young, has little wear and tear and is a prototypical two-down RB. If Goodson can pass protect he'd be a perfect third down/passing down back to complement him and you could do far worse than Powell (after the season he had last year) as a No.3 for a year before he walks.

Hall Of Fame
    Tannenbaum's frivolous waste of picks through the years by trading up and trading away picks for questionable players left the Jets with absolutely no depth or young prospects.

That philosophy is a failing one and that's what has to stop. No team has pissed away more picks over the last decade than the NY Jets. It has to stop.
    Trading a fifth round pick for a 25 year old RB who is making less than 2 million dollars is hardly being frivolous with draft picks. Its not like the Cromartie and Holmes situations where the Jets traded picks AND then paid big money to the player. Trading one 5th round pick for a RB with proven talent and low salary is not a bad move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Trading a fifth round pick for a 25 year old RB who is making less than 2 million dollars is hardly being frivolous with draft picks. Its not like the Cromartie and Holmes situations where the Jets traded picks AND then paid big money to the player. Trading one 5th round pick for a RB with proven talent and low salary is not a bad move.
    Cro and Holmes didn't get big money till they resigned.. Plus both had some playing history Holmes was a Bowl MVP and Cro had made All Pro.. Ivory has potential but he was hurt even in college if he is the wonder that some here think why isn't he a starter after 4 years with the Saints?? Injuries??

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Cro and Holmes didn't get big money till they resigned.. Plus both had some playing history Holmes was a Bowl MVP and Cro had made All Pro.. Ivory has potential but he was hurt even in college if he is the wonder that some here think why isn't he a starter after 4 years with the Saints?? Injuries??
    Thats my point, they traded picks and then had to sign them to big contracts, its a double whammy. Its one thing if you just sign a guy to a big FA contract, but its another when you traded away picks AND then pay big money. You not only use cap space but you lose draft picks that are needed for cheap depth. Trading a late round pick for a guy like Ivory is different. You are not paying him big money at all, and he represents known value over what you could possibly draft in the 5th round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Thats my point, they traded picks and then had to sign them to big contracts, its a double whammy. Its one thing if you just sign a guy to a big FA contract, but its another when you traded away picks AND then pay big money. You not only use cap space but you lose draft picks that are needed for cheap depth. Trading a late round pick for a guy like Ivory is different. You are not paying him big money at all, and he represents known value over what you could possibly draft in the 5th round.
    How do you know that?? Terrell Davis was a 6th rd pick Arian Foster was a UDFA. The kid on the Skins Morris was a 6th rd pick..Ahmad Bradshaw with the Giants was a 7th rd pick.. What we know about Ivory is he gets hurt alot..

The Saints Cap of 910,000 ?

The Jets have so many holes, it is just not prudent to use a premium pick on a RB. If you look at the draft, I don't think you will find a good quality back that can run between the tackles in the fourth or fifth round. Ivory is a very good alternative. This is a great test for Idzik, we will find out if he is a skilled negotiator. He has some leverage, according to Jason's Over The Cap site, the Saints have Just 910,000 in cap room. Obviously some minor adjustments have been made because the Saints had to have 2 million in Cap Space to sign Ivory. But bottom line the Saints will trade Ivory to eke out a little room under the Cap as well as picking up a late round pick. I like Ivory big time, a fifth is fair, and I can see an additional 6th conditional in 2014, but anything else is overpaying.

Tannenbaum didn't mind trading early to mid round picks. This is a mid to late round pick. Big difference.
    Get him Idzik!

Hall Of Fame
    How do you know that?? Terrell Davis was a 6th rd pick Arian Foster was a UDFA. The kid on the Skins Morris was a 6th rd pick..Ahmad Bradshaw with the Giants was a 7th rd pick.. What we know about Ivory is he gets hurt alot..
    LOL...thats the point, if teams KNEW those players would turn out that way they would have been drafted much higher. Its a crap shoot in the later rounds, at least with a guy like Ivory you KNOW what you are getting and make the determination based on that. Again, I am not sure why people would object to giving up a 5th round pick for a guy like Ivory even with the injury history. The odds of a 5th round pick being in the league for 3 years is pretty low.

Ivory has proven to be injury-prone in the very limited role he had in New Orleans. What makes you think he would do better in our offense? He would be used here much more than he was used in N.O., making him a significant injury risk.

We have so many holes on this team that sacrificing anything more than a 6th round pick for the huge risk that Ivory is would indeed be frivolous. This is a strong draft in the mid rounds. An early 4th could be a very strong player. We should not give up a 4th rounder and a significant contract for Chris Ivory.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Tannenbaum didn't mind trading early to mid round picks. This is a mid to late round pick. Big difference.
    Get him Idzik!
    6th rounder? No problem. 5th rounder? No f-ing way. Too many holes on this team.

Hall Of Fame
    Ivory has proven to be injury-prone in the very limited role he had in New Orleans. What makes you think he would do better in our offense? He would be used here much more than he was used in N.O., making him a significant injury risk.

We have so many holes on this team that sacrificing anything more than a 6th round pick for the huge risk that Ivory is would indeed be frivolous. This is a strong draft in the mid rounds. An early 4th could be a very strong player. We should not give up a 4th rounder and a significant contract for Chris Ivory.
    So what 5th round pick is a sure thing, or not a risk? You make it sound like the Jets are trading 2nd and 3rd round pick for the guy. If Ivory plays even 10 games and has 10-15 touches a game, that is probably more than what you would get from a 5th round rookie. Again, it is a low risk, cheap move that has a lot of upside if he stays on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

LOL...thats the point, if teams KNEW those players would turn out that way they would have been drafted much higher. Its a crap shoot in the later rounds, at least with a guy like Ivory you KNOW what you are getting and make the determination based on that. Again, I am not sure why people would object to giving up a 5th round pick for a guy like Ivory even with the injury history. The odds of a 5th round pick being in the league for 3 years is pretty low.
    Here's news for you it's a crap shoot in any rd.. I just get a when some posters just know you can't get who and in what rd..

Hall Of Fame
    Here's news for you it's a crap shoot in any rd.. I just get a when some posters just know you can't get who and in what rd..
    Who said you cant get a quality starter in the 5th round?? I said the percentages are low that you find a quality starter in the 5th round and when you are trading for known commodity those percentages increase and the risk is lower. If you want to roll the dice and try to find the next Arian Foster, then fine, but the odds are very much not in your favor. Drafting is all about risk and upside.