Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Ivory to jets for 5th rounder?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    This stinks of Tannenbaumism. I positively HATE that Idzik's very first major move as GM will be to trade away picks. HATE THIS

This franchise needs to get so far away from Tannenbaumism, which means acquiring picks... not trading them away, even if Ivory might be worth a 5th rounder (questionable at best due to his injury history).

I don't want Ivory for anything more than a 6th round pick. That's it. The guy is always injured and is 4th string on the Saints.
    Agree 100%

If Idzik was making a draft board that included Ivory, Ivory would probably be a top-3 or 4 prospect in this draft class.

Idzik likely expects ~5-6 RBs to go in the first two days.

The Jets need a RB.

Idzik understands that he cannot afford to spend a high pick on a RB, so he chooses to spend a low one on a proven commodity. I've got no problem with that. It'd be like a great RB prospect falling to the 4th or 5th round due to injury. To get the RB prospect he wants, he'd likely have to do so in the 2nd or 3rd round. This eliminates that concern and lets him focus on positions of greater need with premium picks.

Let's keep in mind that not a single FA Idzik signed this offseason was a UFA whose contract expired. Everyone was cut. That means they have no bearing on the Comp. Picks we'll be receiving in next year's draft. We can expect a decent bounty given our FA losses (Slauson, Greene, Keller, Landry, Devito)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Who said you cant get a quality starter in the 5th round?? I said the percentages are low that you find a quality starter in the 5th round and when you are trading for known commodity those percentages increase and the risk is lower. If you want to roll the dice and try to find the next Arian Foster, then fine, but the odds are very much not in your favor. Drafting is all about risk and upside.
    The question is after 4 years with the Saints why hasn't Ivory's upside been realized?? If it was why would they trade him?? Oh that's right he was always hurt..

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    6th rounder? No problem. 5th rounder? No f-ing way. Too many holes on this team.
    LOL. 5th or 6th round, same difference. I could see if you were upset at like the thought of a 3rd, but there's literally no difference in the player you can possibly get in the 5th and 6th round. None.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The question is after 4 years with the Saints why hasn't Ivory's upside been realized?? If it was why would they trade him?? Oh that's right he was always hurt..
    Go look for 2 seconds at the Saints cap situation and depth chart and you will see the answer. I know you think you know everything, but do your self a favor and do just a little research into the matter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Go look for 2 seconds at the Saints cap situation and depth chart and you will see the answer. I know you think you know everything, but do your self a favor and do just a little research into the matter.
    LOL As long as i have followed football I realize how little I know.. Your the one that knows you can't get better then Ivory for a 5th rd pick.. I read about the cap but if the guy was great he would be a keeper not on the block.. His carries went down every year since his rookie year.. BTW if you said IMO you won't get a back as good in the 5th rd I can respect that..

Anyone consider it might be some issue between him and the saints coaching or training staff? Sometimes guys who are out of favor with the CS are given the injury prone label because they are kept on the injury report longer than necessary to justify their lack of playing time.

Or, it could be a LaRon situation, where the training staff simply is enforcing treatment he doesn't agree with.

Ivory would be a top 5 rb prospect in this draft. How anyone could not want him for a 5th I don't understand. Changes of scenery do wonders for talented unrealized players.

LOL As long as i have followed football I realize how little I know.. Your the one that knows you can't get better then Ivory for a 5th rd pick.. I read about the cap but if the guy was great he would be a keeper not on the block.. His carries went down every year since his rookie year.. BTW if you said IMO you won't get a back as good in the 5th rd I can respect that..
    Look no further than our situation for the answer.We are trying to trade our best player,a future HOFer. Not saying ivory is great but for a 5th round pick he coud be very good.The saints are logjammed at the rb position and ivory is the easiest to move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Anyone consider it might be some issue between him and the saints coaching or training staff? Sometimes guys who are out of favor with the CS are given the injury prone label because they are kept on the injury report longer than necessary to justify their lack of playing time.

Or, it could be a LaRon situation, where the training staff simply is enforcing treatment he doesn't agree with.

Ivory would be a top 5 rb prospect in this draft. How anyone could not want him for a 5th I don't understand. Changes of scenery do wonders for talented unrealized players.
    Based on what?? You can't use Pro stats for a draft if that's the case Brady would be the number 1 player picked if hindsight applied to drafts..What did Ivory do in college that makes him a top 5 pick in the 2013 draft??

Based on what?? You can't use Pro stats for a draft if that's the case Brady would be the number 1 player picked if hindsight applied to drafts..What did Ivory do in college that makes him a top 5 pick in the 2013 draft??
    ... Can you use Madden rating ???? Lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    ... Can you use Madden rating ???? Lol.
    Apparently so for some fantasy fans..

That is why they will trade him for a 5th rounder. Who do you think we are getting in the 3rd round that is going to be better than Ivory?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    That is why they will trade him for a 5th rounder. Who do you think we are getting in the 3rd round that is going to be better than Ivory?
    That's my whole point how does everyone know I sure as hell don't.. I don't even know if they take a back in the 3rd do you?? Ok bottom line I hate giving up picks and most of the time the posters that were all for it turn on the FO and say they were idiots if the player busts as a Jet..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That's my whole point how does everyone know I sure as hell don't.. I don't even know if they take a back in the 3rd do you?? Ok bottom line I hate giving up picks and most of the time the posters that were all for it turn on the FO and say they were idiots if the player busts as a Jet..
    Well said! Everybody uses the mantra, "build through the draft." That's what we are doing, rebuilding. Giving up draft picks is how you get into trouble with depth and money. If the Jets go into this season with what they have so be it. If they draft Jonathan Franklin (or one of the many other quality backs in this draft,) I'll think we have plenty of depth and possibly an all pro in our draft pick.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    LOL. 5th or 6th round, same difference. I could see if you were upset at like the thought of a 3rd, but there's literally no difference in the player you can possibly get in the 5th and 6th round. None.
    I hink a 6th as well. But if idzik truley believes that ivory can help this team when they r ready to compete in 2015, then i buy this. Im going to give idzik the benefit of the doubt for now.

How do you know that?? Terrell Davis was a 6th rd pick Arian Foster was a UDFA. The kid on the Skins Morris was a 6th rd pick..Ahmad Bradshaw with the Giants was a 7th rd pick.. What we know about Ivory is he gets hurt alot..
    I am pretty sure that the list of the ones that really sucked and are out of the league drafted in those rounds is greater than those who made it

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    Doubt Austin lasts to 13 take him 9 and either OG 13
    Austin has a way better chance of being there at #13 than Warmack or Cooper.

Tennessee, San Diego, and Miami all need OL help.

Who's a threat to take Austin before St. Louis at #16?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

How many huge holes can be fixed by a 5th round pick?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    How many huge holes can be fixed by a 5th round pick?
    Well if that's what the I-man wants and he gets Ivory for a 5th pick so be it. I just hope Ivory lives up to his videos.. Now if we could get a FB named Ebony what a Wonder that would be..

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Austin has a way better chance of being there at #13 than Warmack or Cooper.

Tennessee, San Diego, and Miami all need OL help.

Who's a threat to take Austin before St. Louis at #16?
    Buffalo.

They always make some odd top ten picks......

Would you be surprised if the Bills took Austin?

Also, always a chance of a trade up....Lots of good teams lower in the draft might want to take Austin as well (Vikings, Niners for example)