Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Chris Ivory to jets for 5th rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Disagree. GREAT teams find players in rounds 4 to 7 at a greater capacity than average teams.

I see your point but it is influenced by years of poor drafting by JETS.

These role players are huge for balance and while I like a 5 th for Ivory, I hate the way we give away picks for the Tebows of the world.
    I completely agree. Rounds 4-7 can produce very good players. My point is that the odds of finding said player don't differ much between a 5th or 6th round draft pick. If people are against trading ANY pick for Ivory, regardless the round, then fine, that can be argued. Arguing against trading a 5th but a 6th is ok makes absolutely no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I guess you adhere to the philosophy that if your reasoning sucks, just put words in the mouths (fullbacks) of those who disagree.

There is very good middle round talent, particularly at RB. Why waste a 5th on an injury prone power back who, in 4 years, has been unable to make it as far as 3rd string on a team with a RBBC approach? Spending a 3rd or 4th, even a 5th for a back who has had his chance for several years is such a Tannenbaumish move, it makes me sick. This franchise has become the the king of squandering its draft picks. There is no franchise that has had as few picks as the Jets through the Tannenbaum years and our depth chart and lack of success is the result.
    So there's very good middle round talent at RB? There may be, but the same talent will be available in the 6th that is available in the 5th.

Theo Riddick
    Cierre Wood
    Mike James
    Miguel Mayosonet
    Knile Davis Arkansas
    Onterio McCalebb

All are 5th-6th round talents. As I said, there's no difference between any of those players. There's even a good chance a or more go in the 7th round.

You are hedging your bets. To say you are ok with trading a 6th round pick, but not a 5th is again laughable. You make the argument that we shouldn't trade for Ivor at all, but then say a 6th would be ok. Well, which is it?

Disagree. GREAT teams find players in rounds 4 to 7 at a greater capacity than average teams.
    Nonsense. Great teams have great quarterbacks.

Patriots Recent 5th round draft picks:
    Marcus Cannon
    Lee Smith
    Zoltan Mesko
    George Bussey
    Matt Slater
    Clint Oldenburg
    Ryan O'Callaghan

Out of all those guys the only that has been a productive member of the Patriots has been Mesko and he is AT BEST an average punter. The other players are backups or off the team already.

Ivory would be a huge upgrade over any of those guys. Yet magically, the Patriots are always good.

So can we stop overreacting to a minor trade that may or may not happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Marcus Cannon
    Lee Smith
    Zoltan Mesko
    George Bussey
    Matt Slater
    Clint Oldenburg
    Ryan O'Callaghan

Out of all those guys the only that has been a productive member of the Patriots has been Mesko and he is AT BEST an average punter. The other players are backups or off the team already.

Ivory would be a huge upgrade over any of those guys. Yet magically, the Patriots are always good.

You misread my post. I like the Ivory deal. I am simply saying OVER TIME good players need be drafted in rounds 5 to 7 and developed.

choosing the PATS, with a once in a generation QB is not really scientific but a good QB covers a lot do draft sin, no doubt.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-20-2013 at 05:27 PM.

All Pro

I see your point but it is influenced by years of poor drafting by JETS.

These role players are huge for balance and while I like a 5 th for Ivory, I hate the way we give away picks for the Tebows of the world.
    I'd add a little to that ... great teams DEVELOP the players they find in rounds 4 to 7 at a greater capacity than average teams.

While part of the skill (or luck) of building a team is in finding the right players, what you do once you find them is - in my humble opinion - much more important. And where the Jets of late have been sub-standard. There have been some OK picks, but they've usually flourished for other teams. Jonathan Goodwin, Derrick Ward and Joel Dreessen are good examples. Matt Slauson could be another, depending on how he fares in Chicago. So the Jets do occasionally find good players in late rounds, but they don't always maximise their abilities.

Hopefully the new regime will develop these guys more and give them more chances to contribute rather than hanging on to ageing, declining vets.

Marcus Cannon
    Lee Smith
    Zoltan Mesko
    George Bussey
    Matt Slater
    Clint Oldenburg
    Ryan O'Callaghan

Mesko is much better than average and slater made the probowl twice.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Mesko is much better than average and slater made the probowl twice.

CLASSIC!!

First off, Lesko is below average. He was around 28th in Punt average. He was around 14th in punts inside the 20. Even if you want to grade him on a curve because he doesn't have to punt that often because he is on the Pats he is at best average.

Slater made the pro bowl as a special teams player. He isn't a starter.

The point was that you can win without ever drafting a starter in the 5th round.

You misread my post. I like the Ivory deal. I am simply saying OVER TIME good players need be drafted in rounds 5 to 7 and developed.

choosing the PATS, with a once in a generation QB is not really scientific but a good QB covers a lot do draft sin, no doubt.
    My bad. I agree, that draft picks in the 5-7 rounds are critical to your team, but a player like Ivory is young and already a proven asset. I wouldn't just give away a 5th round pick for nothing, but in this case we are getting back a valuable asset for relatively cheap.

CLASSIC!!

First off, Lesko is below average. He was around 28th in Punt average. He was around 14th in punts inside the 20. Even if you want to grade him on a curve because he doesn't have to punt that often because he is on the Pats he is at best average.

Slater made the pro bowl as a special teams player. He isn't a starter.

The point was that you can win without ever drafting a starter in the 5th round.
    Watch the games. Don't read stats, this isn't baseball.

But yes you can win without late rd choices. Ivory for a 5th is a no brainer.
    Last edited by patman; 04-20-2013 at 07:15 PM.

THE JETS HAVE OFFERED A 6th ROUND PICK FOR IVORY.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...or-chris-ivory

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    THE JETS HAVE OFFERED A 6th ROUND PICK FOR IVORY.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...or-chris-ivory
    Good move. Jets offense sorely missed not having a RB who could make plays out of the backfield last year now we'll have 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    So there's very good middle round talent at RB? There may be, but the same talent will be available in the 6th that is available in the 5th.

Theo Riddick
    Cierre Wood
    Mike James
    Miguel Mayosonet
    Knile Davis Arkansas
    Onterio McCalebb

All are 5th-6th round talents. As I said, there's no difference between any of those players. There's even a good chance a or more go in the 7th round.

You are hedging your bets. To say you are ok with trading a 6th round pick, but not a 5th is again laughable. You make the argument that we shouldn't trade for Ivor at all, but then say a 6th would be ok. Well, which is it?
    Your best hope is one of those players ends up being as good as Ivory. Not like Ivory is a superstar he's not but he's a useful player and back who can make catch and make plays in the flats which is something Sanchez and the offense badly missed last year after LT retired.

Chris Ivory to jets for 5th rounder?

Don't know if this has been posted and how true? Just read it.
    Article said jets up trade offer To A 5th round pick for Ivory and looks like Saints took offer?

Last edited by JM86; 04-22-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: link added

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JM86 View Post
    Article said jets up trade offer To A 5th round pick for Ivory and looks like Saints took offer?
    This was posted last week..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    This was posted last week..
    I think he was asking if deal has been accepted yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I think he was asking if deal has been accepted yet.
    He said the offered a 5th round pick if the Saints accepted wouldn't someone have seen it since it was posted last week?? CMart would have been all over it..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JM86 View Post
    I thought the Saints were looking for a 4th so not sure about Jets "upping" the offer. Where is your link?

Jets Insider VIP
    Sounds like Ivory is going to be a Jet soon, I guess once the REvis deal was consummated the Jets felt like they could afford a 5th round pick and hopefully Idzik trades down and recoups at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Sounds like Ivory is going to be a Jet soon, I guess once the REvis deal was consummated the Jets felt like they could afford a 5th round pick and hopefully Idzik trades down and recoups at least one.
    which makes me wonder if idzik has a deal in place to trade back in the first already.