Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Ivory to jets for 5th rounder?

Hall Of Fame
    the Ivory is just a compiler....

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    LOL. 5th or 6th round, same difference. I could see if you were upset at like the thought of a 3rd, but there's literally no difference in the player you can possibly get in the 5th and 6th round. None.
    utterly ridiculous.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    the Ivory is just a compiler....
    You can't compile when you only got 40 carries last year..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    LOL As long as i have followed football I realize how little I know.. Your the one that knows you can't get better then Ivory for a 5th rd pick.. I read about the cap but if the guy was great he would be a keeper not on the block.. His carries went down every year since his rookie year.. BTW if you said IMO you won't get a back as good in the 5th rd I can respect that..
    Ivory is a nice player. He's completely one-dimensional and tends to get hurt often, even with the little usage New Orleans displays. Under a more normal workload, he could move from a moderate injury risk to almost a sure-fire injury risk. Still like him. But no way do I sacrifice filling other holes for him with a 5th rounder or better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I hink a 6th as well. But if idzik truley believes that ivory can help this team when they r ready to compete in 2015, then i buy this. Im going to give idzik the benefit of the doubt for now.
    I rarely agree with you but in this case you couldn't be more right.

Obviously you build through the draft.

Even Idzik has stated as much, but he never said he ONLY builds though the draft, that would make NO SENSE!!!

The key is to have a blueprint on how you want your team to look and feel.

That is why people who are knowledgable about the draft out here and whom I truly respect and who keep defending Tanny miss the point. (Hehehehe... you know who you are)

The fact is this, Tanny got sound football advice and sometimes followed it so he was not awfull all the time. His drafts were ok etc.

The key IMO is that Tanny didn't have an overall football philospohy.

IMO simply taking the BPA is not good enough!! Again, the BPA is a critical factor but shouldn't be your sole criterion for drafting or obtaining FA siginings. The key for a GM should be is how does player A or B fit into what you as a team are trying to accomplish....

Idzik has a plan; whether it works or not we simply don't know yet, but I for one am willing to give him a chance!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-20-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    utterly ridiculous.
    Yeah, we should just keep the 5th round picks and use them on fullbacks instead.

Ivory is a nice player. He's completely one-dimensional and tends to get hurt often, even with the little usage New Orleans displays. Under a more normal workload, he could move from a moderate injury risk to almost a sure-fire injury risk. Still like him. But no way do I sacrifice filling other holes for him with a 5th rounder or better.
    One could also argue that he might be less prone to injuries if he got a steady workload as opposed to having to come off the bench cold for a random series or two in a game and trying to make explosive plays. But, of course, neither one of us is a doctor (at least I know I'm not), so that would all be uninformed speculation, no?

We could use a 4th round pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Well if that's what the I-man wants and he gets Ivory for a 5th pick so be it. I just hope Ivory lives up to his videos.. Now if we could get a FB named Ebony what a Wonder that would be..
    Just saying its not a top pick. I hate trading top picks, too. You build through the draft but you also can use picks to grab players, hopefully better than what would be available at that draft slot.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Nonsense, what's completely one dimensional? Is AP completely one dimensional? Or most of the top RB's? Yes to both.

How many multidimensional players or backs are you thinking we're passing up with that 5th round pick .

Hes a health risk, which is why the Jets are offering a low pick.

Not much risk in throwing a 5th out there.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL. 5th or 6th round, same difference. I could see if you were upset at like the thought of a 3rd, but there's literally no difference in the player you can possibly get in the 5th and 6th round. None.
    Disagree. GREAT teams find players in rounds 4 to 7 at a greater capacity than average teams.

I see your point but it is influenced by years of poor drafting by JETS.

These role players are huge for balance and while I like a 5 th for Ivory, I hate the way we give away picks for the Tebows of the world.

Tannenbaum's frivolous waste of picks through the years by trading up and trading away picks for questionable players left the Jets with absolutely no depth or young prospects.

That philosophy is a failing one and that's what has to stop. No team has pissed away more picks over the last decade than the NY Jets. It has to stop.
    You can argue that Tannenbaum's quality-over-quantity philosophy of trading multiple picks to move up for one player robbed this team of it's quality depth over the course of time - and I'd agree with you. That strategy worked spectacularly well once (giving up an extra pick to draft Revis), but then we gave up an extra 2nd rounder, two 4ths and a 7th to draft Sanchez, Keller, and Greene -- potentially 4 extra young contributing players to grab 3 players that ranged from not good to not bad.

You can also argue that trading a draft pick for one or two productive years of a veteran player is a loss. Not always true, but a fair point.

However, trading one draft pick for one young veteran player is not a wasteful philosophy. You're not losing depth because you're adding one player for that pick either way. You're not losing productive years, because a player like Ivory can theoretically bring value on the field for the same 4 years that you'd be signing a young draft pick for.

Don't compare Idzik to Tannenbaum if he wants to pull the trigger on the Ivory deal. It's not the same philosophy.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Disagree. GREAT teams find players in rounds 4 to 7 at a greater capacity than average teams.

I see your point but it is influenced by years of poor drafting by JETS.

These role players are huge for balance and while I like a 5 th for Ivory, I hate the way we give away picks for the Tebows of the world.
    There wasn't one great player picked in the 5th last year.

Aren't all that many that come from the 5th. Thats the kind of thing you say just to keep a pick.

Veteran
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1889cdsEE

this guy, IMO, is worth a 5th rounder.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    There wasn't one great player picked in the 5th last year. Aren't all that many that come from the 5th. Thats the kind of thing you say just to keep a pick.
    Come on JN your saner then that.. Was Revis great after the 07 season and he was a 1st rd pick.. Now last year in the 6th rd the Skins got a good RB in Morris 13 tds and 1613 yds 4.8 ypc..

Yeah, we should just keep the 5th round picks and use them on fullbacks instead.
    I guess you adhere to the philosophy that if your reasoning sucks, just put words in the mouths (fullbacks) of those who disagree.

There is very good middle round talent, particularly at RB. Why waste a 5th on an injury prone power back who, in 4 years, has been unable to make it as far as 3rd string on a team with a RBBC approach? Spending a 3rd or 4th, even a 5th for a back who has had his chance for several years is such a Tannenbaumish move, it makes me sick. This franchise has become the the king of squandering its draft picks. There is no franchise that has had as few picks as the Jets through the Tannenbaum years and our depth chart and lack of success is the result.

@JasonLaCanfora: Jets interest in Saints RB Chris Ivory remains very real.

IMO trading a 1-3 is not acceptable in this transaction. 4-7 is fine.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You can't compile when you only got 40 carries last year..
    He's pacing himself

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    There wasn't one great player picked in the 5th last year.

Aren't all that many that come from the 5th. Thats the kind of thing you say just to keep a pick.
    No one said great. I said ROLE player.