Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimini must have been abducted...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini must have been abducted...

Darrelle Revis saw the New York Jets as an ATM, and the Jets saw their star cornerback as a bargaining chip. No more, no less. It was strictly a business relationship -- ice cold from day one -- and that's why he's now a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

This marriage was doomed by greed and mismanagement. You put those two together and there's no chance for a "happily ever after" between player and team.

Everybody says you never trade your best player. In a perfect world, that's true, especially when your best player is only 27, still in his prime years. But this is a best player coming off major knee surgery and still rehabbing a shredded ACL. Yet, in his diminished state, he still wanted to be paid like a healthy, franchise quarterback.

[+] Enlarge
    AP PhotoTom DiPace
    Darrelle Revis is taking his talents to Tampa Bay.
    The Jets had to make this trade, and they had to make it now, because they had a nice bird in the hand -- the Bucs' first-round draft pick, 13th overall. It would've been too risky to wait until after the draft because they probably would've lost their only suitor. The Bucs are clearly a desperate franchise willing to take a wild gamble.

Owner Woody Johnson decided, correctly, that it made little sense to pay $16 million a season for a cornerback, especially in a flat-cap era. There was no room for negotiation because Revis, Inc., and his hardline agents never were going to budge.

Technically, the Jets never offered a long-term contract, but you never walk into a Mercedes showroom unless you're willing to pay big. They knew the cost of doing business with Revis, Inc., and so they walked past the showroom without stepping in.

Revis, Inc., signed a six-year, $96 million contract with the Bucs to receive exactly $16 million in each season. Surprisingly, there's no guaranteed money, but there's a tacit guarantee of $32 million because Revis knows it'll be at least two seasons before he gets cut. The Bucs would never drop him after a season, not after surrendering a first-round pick.

He would've signed the same deal with the Jets, according to a source, but that deal didn't make sense for them. Think about it:

The salary-cap charge is $16 million per season -- 13 percent of this season's total cap. The franchise tag for a cornerback is $10.8 million, so the Jets would've been paying 150 percent of the franchise tender. Every season. You can't build a team that way.

Revis is good, but he's not that good.

Once they decided to pass, the Jets had two options: Let him play out the final season of his contract (and, in all likelihood, lose him for nothing in free agency) or trade him.

If the Jets were coming off a playoff season, with a roster built to win now, the right call would've been to keep Revis, take their chances with the contract and go for the ring.

The Jets were that team two seasons ago, but not anymore. They're rebuilding, and they saw Revis, Inc., as a chip  a "tremendous asset," according to general manager John Idzik. They decided to go to the cashier and see what they could get for that chip.

The 50 Greatest Jets

Darrelle Revis is now a Buc. So where does he rank among the greatest Jets?
    The Top 50 Jets Rank 'Em

They didn't get what they wanted -- the 13th pick and a conditional fourth-rounder in 2014 that almost certainly will become a third-round choice. You can't have a bidding war with only one bidder.

Some people say the Jets without Revis resemble an expansion team, an instant contender for the No. 1 overall pick in 2014. Guess what? They would've been a bad team with him, too. Until they find an answer at quarterback, they'll always be an also-ran.

So the Jets made the right move under the circumstances, but it didn't have to be this way.

They missed an opportunity three years ago, during his summer-long holdout, to secure him with a long-term deal. The Jets had leverage, and they had the desire to make it happen, but they panicked as the season drew close. The result was the infamous Band-Aid contract, which included -- get this -- a no franchise-tag proviso.

They blew it again last year, turning a cold shoulder to Revis, Inc., when his agents made overtures about renegotiating. The Jets willingly let this play out until the final year of the deal, knowing they had no franchise-tag protection.

It was bad business.

Jets management and Revis' agents can't agree on anything. If they went on a movie date, they'd argue popcorn versus Raisinets. Did the Jets honestly think they'd be able to sit at the bargaining table -- after two holdouts in six years -- and agree on another contract?

Jets blog
    Looking for more on
    the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

When Revis blew out his knee last September, it changed the dynamic. It gave the Jets an out, an alibi for not wanting to keep their best player.

So, yes, the Jets deserve a lot of blame here, as does Revis. He made $55 million in six seasons and, no matter what he says, he pushed for this trade because he knew there was a pot of gold waiting in Tampa. And there's no state income tax on that gold, by the way.

Revis is heavily influenced by his uncle, former NFL defensive lineman Sean Gilbert, who once sat out an entire season because of a contract dispute. Clearly, the get-what-you're-worth mentality was passed down to Revis, whose legacy in New York will be tarnished by his holdouts and money grabs.

And that's sad because he truly is a once-in-a-generation player. The Jets, known for their spotty drafting, finally got it right with Revis. In 2007, they traded up knowing he was something special. They developed him, paid him handsomely and now this -- divorce.

It doesn't reflect well on the Jets. Or Revis.
    Who knew Cimini would be voice of reason among the media feeding frenzy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Who knew Cimini would be voice of reason among the media feeding frenzy
    I said it in another thread. Cimini has been doing a very fair and balanced job over the last few months. I really have no argument over anything he has put out there in quite some time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so sure this is a guaranteed 3rd round pick. If all goes well between Revis, his knee and the Bucs, whats to stop them from negotiating a long term deal in February 2014 with a boatload of upfront money (but an average of less than $16m/yr over the next 5 years), the Bucs cutting Revis and then re-signing him after the 3rd day of the league year?

That would be one last FU from Camp Revis to the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about that also , but I don't think there's a chance they would cut him with the remote chance he goes elsewhere like boozer stewed over Cleveland for Utah .

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not so sure this is a guaranteed 3rd round pick. If all goes well between Revis, his knee and the Bucs, whats to stop them from negotiating a long term deal in February 2014 with a boatload of upfront money (but an average of less than $16m/yr over the next 5 years), the Bucs cutting Revis and then re-signing him after the 3rd day of the league year? That would be one last FU from Camp Revis to the Jets.
    That's exactly what I think will happen but if Revis has a good season and they cut him would you trust Revis to honor his word and resign if top contending teams got in the mix??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so sure this is a guaranteed 3rd round pick. If all goes well between Revis, his knee and the Bucs, whats to stop them from negotiating a long term deal in February 2014 with a boatload of upfront money (but an average of less than $16m/yr over the next 5 years), the Bucs cutting Revis and then re-signing him after the 3rd day of the league year?

If you are Tampa, are you going to risk losing him through free agency a year after giving up the 13th overall pick -- especially if he has fully recovered from the knee injury.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Since teams have been screwed by this in the past i am sure this is something that Idzik accounted for. Would like to hear from him on this subject.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, maybe I can stop avoiding his stuff now. I did hear him on Sportscenter yesterday and he had some decent things to say.

He doesn't have to be positive all the time, he was just being crazy like the rest of the beat reporters and I couldn't take it. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Since teams have been screwed by this in the past i am sure this is something that Idzik accounted for. Would like to hear from him on this subject.
    Let's hope so. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to stipulate language that if he's off the team before the 3rd day of the 2014 season that he can't be back on the roster at any point during the 2014 season...but who knows?

I think even a guy like Revis could be trusted to work a deal with the Bucs to come back with a different contract immediately after being cut so they could save the higher pick, without running to another team. So it would be good to know if the Jets accounted for that potential screw-over.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    HOw is this 'fair and balanced'? He's blaming the Jets and says it reflects poorly on them. How? The only thing they could have done is shelled out the bucks and hamstrung their cap. Same old same old.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Let's hope so. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to stipulate language that if he's off the team before the 3rd day of the 2014 season that he can't be back on the roster at any point during the 2014 season...but who knows?

I think even a guy like Revis could be trusted to work a deal with the Bucs to come back with a different contract immediately after being cut so they could save the higher pick, without running to another team. So it would be good to know if the Jets accounted for that potential screw-over.
    Oh without a doubt when I think of the word trustworthy he's the first one I think of..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping that Idzik was smart enough to put in something to prevent that, which wasn't reported publicly. Something like if Revis isn't on the Bucs roster on the 3rd day of the 2014 league year but is on opening day, the Jets get the Bucs 1at rounder in 2015.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Oh without a doubt when I think of the word trustworthy he's the first one I think of..
    HAHA - but remember, there would be guaranteed money on the table. That's probably the only time his ears are wide open.

It works better for the Jets if you're right...if the guy is such a merc that he would turn his back on the Bucs if they tried to cut him and resign him, then all that means is the Jets are getting a guaranteed 3rd next year or the Bucs will have a ridiculous amount of egg on their faces.

Either way the Jets win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    why would the Bucs go through all that and probably have to guarantee the greedy POS more money in order to save 32 spots in the day three draft in 2014?

not happening IMHO

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    HAHA - but remember, there would be guaranteed money on the table. That's probably the only time his ears are wide open.

It works better for the Jets if you're right...if the guy is such a merc that he would turn his back on the Bucs if they tried to cut him and resign him, then all that means is the Jets are getting a guaranteed 3rd next year or the Bucs will have a ridiculous amount of egg on their faces.

Either way the Jets win.
    I thought they only get the pick if he's on their roster at that date??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It reflects bad on the Jets because of their awful management of his contract. That band-aid contract was just plain lunacy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    It reflects bad on the Jets because of their awful management of his contract. That band-aid contract was just plain lunacy.
    For the Jets yes but for Mevis he got 32 million..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That's exactly what I think will happen but if Revis has a good season and they cut him would you trust Revis to honor his word and resign if top contending teams got in the mix??
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    If you are Tampa, are you going to risk losing him through free agency a year after giving up the 13th overall pick -- especially if he has fully recovered from the knee injury.
    True, but if the dude buys a house, you have legit discussions with his agents and everything is otherwise all well and good, I think its a possibility. Everything is perfectly fine with Revis as long as he's treated, financially, like the superstar he thinks he is.

It would be a 4 day hiatus, basically. And it would benefit both parties.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    But what was the alternative? Pay him what he wanted over the long term or refuse to negotiate? It basically took him $10m/yr to get him to play, so if the Jets wanted to get him long term, it would have taken roughly $13m/yr.

If they held him to his contract, it would have been an even bigger disaster. Since Revis came here six years ago, I've kept waiting for him to show some signs of money not ALWAYS being the foremost concern. But that's never really happened. For a guy who otherwise seems very self confident, he really needs to be validated via his contract. He needs to feel like the money he gets is commensurate with what he believes his ability is.

I don't blame the Jets for not giving in. They could have handled things differently but at the end of the day, it was either pay him what Aso got in that F'd up contract or trade him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does it matter if they cut him and resign him?

Isn't the 3rd rounder conditional based on IF he's on the Bucs roster, not HOW he's on their roster?

If they cut him and he signs with another team then we'd only get the 4th, right?