Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Cimini must have been abducted...

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not so sure this is a guaranteed 3rd round pick. If all goes well between Revis, his knee and the Bucs, whats to stop them from negotiating a long term deal in February 2014 with a boatload of upfront money (but an average of less than $16m/yr over the next 5 years), the Bucs cutting Revis and then re-signing him after the 3rd day of the league year?

    That would be one last FU from Camp Revis to the Jets.
    If the Bucs tried doing this, I'd guarantee that Uncle Sean would try to create a bidding war between Tampa and another team.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    If the Bucs tried doing this, I'd guarantee that Uncle Sean would try to create a bidding war between Tampa and another team.
    Or teams since no compensation would be required..

  3. #23
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Why does it matter if they cut him and resign him?

    Isn't the 3rd rounder conditional based on IF he's on the Bucs roster, not HOW he's on their roster?

    If they cut him and he signs with another team then we'd only get the 4th, right?
    They would cut him on Feb 28th, wait until the 3rd day of the NFL season comes and goes, and then give him the mega deal that they are waiting to give him until he's totally healthy.

    This 6yr/$96m deal seems unsustainable for the long haul anyway.

  4. #24
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like
    The big mistake was the language that prevented the franchise tag from being applied. We would've been able to keep him at least 2 more years at roughly $10.5M/per year (I think that's what the CB franchise salary is around) otherwise. The structure of the band-aid settled things up front for our AFCCG run (guaranteed Revis wouldn't hold out) but sent us to the point of no return at the end of the deal where the team would be screwed either way. Losing him to injury last year made it even worse as we lost a year of watching the best CB in the league play.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    They would cut him on Feb 28th, wait until the 3rd day of the NFL season comes and goes, and then give him the mega deal that they are waiting to give him until he's totally healthy.

    This 6yr/$96m deal seems unsustainable for the long haul anyway.
    They'll guarantee a portion of it before a release, and re-sign. If they think Revis will keep his word, and not try to get more money out of them by creating a bidding war with other teams, then their front office is made up of some of the dumbest human beings on the planet.

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    If the Bucs tried doing this, I'd guarantee that Uncle Sean would try to create a bidding war between Tampa and another team.
    Its pretty clear that the Bucs are the one team willing to pay him top dollar. They have the cap room and the need. I doubt there is another team that would and could outbid him.

    Again, it would only happen if everything went according to plan for both guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    The big mistake was the language that prevented the franchise tag from being applied. We would've been able to keep him at least 2 more years at roughly $10.5M/per year (I think that's what the CB franchise salary is around) otherwise. The structure of the band-aid settled things up front for our AFCCG run (guaranteed Revis wouldn't hold out) but sent us to the point of no return at the end of the deal where the team would be screwed either way. Losing him to injury last year made it even worse as we lost a year of watching the best CB in the league play.
    I highly doubt Revis would have agreed to the deal if the Jets didn't waive the Franchise Tag. That would have negated exactly what he was looking for.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Its pretty clear that the Bucs are the one team willing to pay him top dollar. They have the cap room and the need. I doubt there is another team that would and could outbid him.

    Again, it would only happen if everything went according to plan for both guys.
    I think the only way we get the 4th rounder instead of the 3rd is if Revis doesn't come back as the same player, or re-injures the knee. If he plays like the pre-injury Revis, then there's no way they risk losing him over a 3rd round pick.

  8. #28
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Why does it matter if they cut him and resign him?

    Isn't the 3rd rounder conditional based on IF he's on the Bucs roster, not HOW he's on their roster?

    If they cut him and he signs with another team then we'd only get the 4th, right?
    Absolutely correct. They can do whatever they want before the season - if he's on the roster it's a 3rd. If he is out of football or on another team it's a 4th.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    It reflects bad on the Jets because of their awful management of his contract. That band-aid contract was just plain lunacy.
    Yeah, news flash, fired people screwed up. that's ancient history. Why bother talking about the mistakes of people who have been canned because of their mistakes, have been replaced with people cleaning up their mess, and are already working new jobs.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    who knew someday Cimini would be better than Manish

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    who knew someday Cimini would be better than Manish
    Maybe Cimini reads some of Manish's crap and thinks "damn, was I this ridiculous?"

    Wishful thinking, but possible.

  12. #32
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    I think the only way we get the 4th rounder instead of the 3rd is if Revis doesn't come back as the same player, or re-injures the knee. If he plays like the pre-injury Revis, then there's no way they risk losing him over a 3rd round pick.
    You may be right. For all we know, that kind of manuevering by the Bucs may not be allowed by the league simply because its not in good faith....but it could be a possibility.

  13. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    You may be right. For all we know, that kind of manuevering by the Bucs may not be allowed by the league simply because its not in good faith....but it could be a possibility.
    Even if the league would allow it, that would severely hurt Tampa in future trade negotiations. Who would trust them to honor an offer that includes conditional draft picks?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us