Thread: A Mock Draft That Would Make Me Look Forward to 2013

Thumbs up A Mock Draft That Would Make Me Look Forward to 2013

Team needs: OLB, OG, FS, QB, WR, TE, RB, CB

(rd. 1) #9 Pick - Trade to SF for Picks 31, 34, 74

San Fran wants Star to upgrade their D-line. This is a good value trade for them because they still have a 2nd round pick and could trade up again into the second since they have so many picks in this draft.

(rd. 1) #13 Pick - Barkevious Mingo, OLB

The current Jets OLB lack the ability to drop in coverage. I think Mingo is a guy that can not only rush the passer, but also play sideline to sideline. He can definitely help us avoid the big play that we gave up so often last year. I think Calvin Pace will help groom Mingo as well.

(rd. 1) #31 Pick - Tyler Eifert, TE

Will help stretch the field and replace Dustin Keller. Will also be a good tandem with Cumberland in 2012 and I could see the Jets using both in the passing game. Our eventual starting QB will be happy with this pick... and the next.

(rd. 2) #34 Pick - Larry Warford, OG

Jets have an obvious need at guard and Warford can definitely start right away. In a draft class without Warmack and Cooper, Warford would be a first round pick. Very athletic for his size.

(rd. 2) #39 Pick - DeAndre Hopkins, WR

Would be a steal if we could get Hopkins in round 2. A very good possession receiver who reminds me of Roddy White. Catches the ball with his hands away from his body. Will be a good tandem with Hill, Kerley, Hopkins, & Ertz as receivers into the future.

(rd. 3) #72 Pick - Bacarri Rambo, FS

Solid coverage safety that will help us this year. Has the skill to step in and play and Rambo is a high ceiling player. We will definitely need to build on coverage with Revis being traded.

(rd. 3) #74 Pick - Zac Dysert, QB

Because they are not sure if he will fall to 106, the Jets select Dysert with the 74th pick. Good accuracy and quick release on short throws. Needs to develop arm strength but he looks good and will provide competition.

(rd. 4) #106 Pick - Jordan Poyer, CB

57 tackles, 12 passes broken up, 4 int (1 for TD)
    Pretty quick CB that I believe can be a steal in the 4th. Good in coverage and also 6'0. Moves well and will benefit from good coaching at the next level.

(rd. 5) Trade to NO Saints for Chris Ivory

I think everyone who has watched Ivory is sold on him, especially for a 5th round pick. This would actually be the best value pick and the best way to upgrade our running game. If he can stay healthy, I see a 1,000+ yard guy easy.

(rd. 6) #178 Pick - Devin Taylor, DE

As a sophomore, Devin Taylor had 7.5 sacks and 13 tackles for loss in the SEC. His role starting changing on SC and he was asked to do more than just rush the passer. He is 6'7, 266lbs and he ran a 4.65 40. I think he can add some weight at the next level and become a good 3-4 DE behind Coples and Wilkerson.

(rd. 7) #215 Pick - Eric Martin, OLB

This pick is a toss up and you could also go DT or OT. Eric Martin recorded 8.5 sacks and 16.5 TFL with Nebraska this season. He can have a whole year to keep developing his game with the resigning of Pace. I see OLB depth being an issue in the future so that's why this draft pick here.

The last 2 picks could go different ways but I like grabbing guys in the trenches. I am a SC fan so I like what I've seen from Devin Taylor over the past 3 years. He has played with Melvin Ingram and Clowney.

This draft would really make me excited going into the season. I see at least 4 potential starters and a lot of depth concerns fixed. This will provide competition at every position of need and should help some guys elevate their game. I also see Ertz, Hopkins, Warford, & Ivory seriously upgrading this offense while Dysert can jump into the QB competition right away. Also, I think Mingo is a better OLB than anyone in this draft besides Dion Jordan. Sometimes I question his play on tape, but he has shown me enough to warrant the #13 overall pick. I think Rex would love him for his blitz schemes.
    Last edited by CoreyWill; 04-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.

All Pro
    If i have to read one more mock draft with Mingo, i'm going to sh*t myself.

There is no one else at #13 that I like unless I go with Johnathan Cooper. The fact that Warford can easily start on this line, I'll wait to select him and grab Mingo. You could go Cooper/Arthur Brown but I don't like some of the OLB projected in the 2nd round. Mingo is dynamic and Warford is good.

On a side note: I'm going to post another mock draft with Mingo just so you do indeed sh*t yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    There is no one else at #13 that I like unless I go with Johnathan Cooper. The fact that Warford can easily start on this line, I'll wait to select him and grab Mingo. You could go Cooper/Arthur Brown but I don't like some of the OLB projected in the 2nd round. Mingo is dynamic and Warford is good.

On a side note: I'm going to post another mock draft with Mingo just so you do indeed sh*t yourself.
    This is barely value at 13 for SF why would we give them 9 at that price?

I'd prefer Jarvis Jones of Ezekiel Ansah over Mingo. The latter might not be there when we pick though, and I've got no problem with Mingo I just like the other 2 better

I really like the rest of the draft. Hopkins is a WR I hope we get, his measurables don't blow you away but he's solid at everything and had great production in college. I don't really see us getting him at 39 though, and even Eifert could be long gone by 31. If we do end up with the 31/34 maybe go with Hopkins at 31, and take Ertz at 39.

I love it......except for 1 pick: Mingo.
    I would go Cooper and maybe Carradine in the 2nd or even take Vaccaro at 13 and grab Jamie Collins in the 3rd.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Lol!!! I did **** my pants!!! NO MINGO!!!!!

Jets are "very high" on mingo

Rex is "smitten" with mingo

9 out of 10 mocks have us taking him!!!

It's not happening !!!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    I love it......except for 1 pick: Mingo.
    I would go Cooper and maybe Carradine in the 2nd or even take Vaccaro at 13 and grab Jamie Collins in the 3rd.
    Perfect.

All Pro
    Bingo. You picked Mingo.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    Lol!!! I did **** my pants!!! NO MINGO!!!!!

Jets are "very high" on mingo

Rex is "smitten" with mingo

9 out of 10 mocks have us taking him!!!

It's not happening !!!!!
    Mingo.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Mingo. The most interesting man in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Mingo. The most interesting man in the world.
    LOL. Mingo would be a good pickup for the Jets.
    Would prefer Jamie Collins to Dysert.

You could replace Mingo with Jarvis Jones or Ansah and I'd still be happy with that pick. Again, if Eifert isn't available then I'd probably go with Ertz there because he looks very good to me too. And at WR, if DeAndre Hopkins doesn't drop I also like Justin Hunter and Robert Woods and one of them will drop there.

I just think Mingo is your prototypical 3-4 OLB who can potentially do more than just rush. Plus, when I watched his game film I found him lacking power but he is disruptive and his awareness is good. He reads handoffs pretty well and can also adjust to a screen. As a DE, Mingo would be an easy bust. However, as a 3-4 OLB I see him fitting in well. Plus, unleash his speed and Wilkerson/Coples power and it'll be hard to block IMO. Definitely needs to add about 10-15 pounds though even if it costs him a step.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'd like to have 15 draft picks too

Talking Hmmm...Jarvis or Mingo...put down the bong!

Quote Originally Posted by JmercJETS View Post
    I'd prefer Jarvis Jones of Ezekiel Ansah over Mingo. The latter might not be there when we pick though, and I've got no problem with Mingo I just like the other 2 better

I really like the rest of the draft. Hopkins is a WR I hope we get, his measurables don't blow you away but he's solid at everything and had great production in college. I don't really see us getting him at 39 though, and even Eifert could be long gone by 31. If we do end up with the 31/34 maybe go with Hopkins at 31, and take Ertz at 39.
    Let's see, which is more logical, Jones drops A HALF a second on his 40 time and through divine intervention his back issues go away, or Mingo adds 20 lbs of muscle, loses no speed, and becomes a Demarcus Ware clone... Hmmm...are you high? Sniffing glue? Jones is a 3rd prospect with little upside, Mingo's ceiling is All Pro, step away from the crack pipe my Green Brother! Jones? HaHaHaHa, ya killing me, hahahahaha