Thread: The House Cleaning: Woody Johnson Waited A Year Too Long

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

The House Cleaning: Woody Johnson Waited A Year Too Long

I'm 100% behind what Idzik is doing. This is long overdue.

Problem is this should have happened after the 2011 collapse in Miami, should have cleaned out Tannenbaum and Ryan then. If Woody Johnson did that...

1. The Jets don't go 6-10

2. Tim Tebow never happens.

3. Mark Sanchez doesn't get an extension.

4. Tony Sparano never happens.

5. John Idzik never happens.

We'd now be in Year 2 of a new GM and HC, might have had more experienced candidates to choose from, might have drafted one of the stud QB's from last year, might have restructured Revis, might have kept our safeties, who knows. Couldn't be worse than where we are now, that's for sure.

The issue isn't the rebuild. The issue is that Woody Johnson waited too long to start it and got stuck with a HC and a GM in the wrong place at the wrong time.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Problem is this should have happened after the 2011 collapse in Miami, should have cleaned out Tannenbaum and Ryan then. If Woody Johnson did that...

We'd now be in Year 2 of a new GM and HC, might have had more experienced candidates to choose from, might have drafted one of the stud QB's from last year, might have restructured Revis, might have kept our safeties, who knows. Couldn't be worse than where we are now, that's for sure.

The issue isn't the rebuild. The issue is that Woody Johnson waited too long to start it and got stuck with a HC and a GM in the wrong place at the wrong time.

SAR I
    Woody could not have fired Rex after one bad season following back to back AFC championship seasons.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Woody could not have fired Rex after one bad season following back to back AFC championship seasons.
    You say that, but it turns out that that was the correct move.

2012 proved this. It's actually the only positive that came out of that entire debacle.

SAR I

All League
    so after 2 back to back AFCC games, and then a 3rd season where the jets were in the playoff hunt, controlling their own destiny until a 3 game collapse, woody was supposed to clean house? over one 3 game collapse, after 2 very good years?

2012 proved this. It's actually the only positive that came out of that entire debacle.

SAR I
    I absolutely turned out to be correct, but hindsight is 20-20.

Hall Of Fame
    I wanted to trade Revis after 2011. Would have gotten at least two 1st rounders at that time.

But I don't think Rex could have been fired. He was just extended by Tannenbaum. Part of the reason why Tanny extended his coaches and players was to make himself look good.

Rex certainly should have been fired after this year, although we may end up with a great candidate b.c of the cap room and high draft pick after this year. So it looks like it will work out.

Bewildered Beast

SAR I
    For a man that says he sees things clearly, your logic forgets that firing a HC after failing to get back to the playoffs would create enormous pressure and NOT a long-term, perennial playoff contender.

Put that in your cotton-candy machine.

Point 2. 'Tebow never happens' is wrong. Tebow happened BECAUSE of Woody. In fact, he's still happening because of Woody.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Hindsight is 20-20. It's tough to imagine Rex being fired after one "bad" season and on the heels of to AFC Championship game appearances. I do think he should have been canned after THIS past season. I think Rex lost the locker room, and when that happens, it's usually lights out for a head coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    For the 1,000th time. Tim Tebow had no effect on the 2012 Jets. We sucked with him and if he wasnt on the team, we would have sucked just as bad.

F#ckin give it up already.

SAR I

Yes, but he didn't.

I'm not sure whether to give you a Kleenex, or build you a time machine.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    For a man that says he sees things clearly, your logic forgets that firing a HC after failing to get back to the playoffs would create enormous pressure and NOT a long-term, perennial playoff contender.

Put that in your cotton-candy machine.
    The reason some of us called for Rex's head after the 0-3 finish wasn't because it happened but rather how it happened.

We said that Rex lost the team. We said that they had no heart. We heard ex-players and current players say that they had no leaders and weren't tough. We heard Tannenbaum taking heat for a lack of WR's and the likes of Wayne Hunter.

Everything said then was correct. No cotton candy required.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    For the 1,000th time. Tim Tebow had no effect on the 2012 Jets. We sucked with him and if he wasnt on the team, we would have sucked just as bad.

F#ckin give it up already.
    The Tebow acquisition bothered our 2x AFCCG quarterback, robbed us of a true backup QB, didn't create the gadget offense of Brad Smith, caused many 4th and longs, and enabled Tony Sparano.

The effect on the Jets was tangible.

SAR I

I can't agree with the the premise totally but I do think the 8-8 year was a sheer and utter aberration. The Jets were a 5-6 win team that year and actually played about 3 or 4 legit good games all year. The previous 2 years of relative success bought them another year. Too bad Tanny went insane and gave Sanchez and extension as a pat on the head after going after Manning.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Yes, but he didn't.

I'm not sure whether to give you a Kleenex, or build you a time machine.
    Neither. As I have both.

SAR I

SAR I
    Some of this is pretty silly, but one of your points, in particular, makes no sense

We'd now be in Year 2 of a new GM and HC, might have had more experienced candidates to choose from, might have drafted one of the stud QB's from last year

How?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

SAR I

How dare you insinuate the Jets are tanking games! Woody just said he's very optimistic about this year's team!

SAR I
    I'm not sure how someone as articulate as you, who creates logical arguments for a living (right?), can be so wrong . What's your beef with Idzik? He's made every single correct move so far. He created a synthetic market and got a 1st round pick for a player that might never be the same after ACL surgery. He's targeting TALENTED players who are in situations which diminished their asking price (see Goodson, Ivory, Barnes), and more importantly he put a muzzle on Rex. Who would you rather he be going after and what you rather he be doing? You don't seem the type of GM to overpay for household names, you seem like a contrarian desperate for attention.

SAR I
    You know what else 2012 proved? That Mark Sanchez (the architect of the 3-game collapse to end 2011) was an erratic, inaccurate QB incapable of leading the team without an elite OL and dominant running game.

For some reason though, you want to give Sanchez a 3rd chance, but you were ready to throw Rex out at the first sign of adversity. Let me guess - poor coaching was the reason why Mark Sanchez threw two INTs to the same defensive lineman in a game with a playoff appearance at stake...