Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone think we cut Sanchez before the season starts?

Does anyone think we cut Sanchez before the season starts?

I know I will get killed on here for this, but it is a thought. If the Jets draft a qb Smith, Nassib, etc with one of their picks and he plays great in camp. Could we cut Sanchez before the season just to get him off the team. After seeing him booed at the Knick game the other night I don't think he has a chance here this year. If a rookie plays better I don't think him getting cut is out of the equation. Have Garrard as the backup and have Mcelroy or another qb we sign as the 3rd string. Just seeing if other think this could happen.

Hall Of Fame
    If we take a QB in say the first 3 rounds I think he is gone. But Idzik is not going to give Rex another young QB so there's that.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think he's here for 2013. He probably starts the season, completes 3 passes to Revis in Week 1, and then is benched for Garrard or a rookie if we've drafted one in this Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If we take a QB in say the first 3 rounds I think he is gone. But Idzik is not going to give Rex another young QB so there's that.
    I think the offense has been fully handed off to Morninwheg. Rex lost all of is offensive responsibility.

I hope not seeing as he's the best QB on the roster by a mile.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I don't think he'll be cut, even if the Jets draft a QB (which I believe they will). That being said, regardless of who the Jets draft or don't draft, I would be extremely disappointed if he takes even one snap in a regular season game this year. I think trotting Sanchez out there is a recipe for disaster. Unless he magically turns into Peyton Manning, he will be mercilessly and unceremoniously booed with every move he makes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
    I don't think he'll be cut, even if the Jets draft a QB (which I believe they will). That being said, regardless of who the Jets draft or don't draft, I would be extremely disappointed if he takes even one snap in a regular season game this year. I think trotting Sanchez out there is a recipe for disaster. Unless he magically turns into Peyton Manning, he will be mercilessly and unceremoniously booed with every move he makes.
    I think he stays and takes the hit along with Rex.

Banned
    I think they're going to give Marty a chance to salvage him. If he stinks it up in camp or the preseason, then I wouldn't be shocked if they cut him before the season starts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm really hoping our next starter isn't currently on the roster. That said I don't want to spend a 1st rounder on one in this draft. Maybe Naseeb later on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Not that mocks mean anything but some have Tyler Bray to the Jets in the 3rd..

Whether Sanchez is on the roster or not this year will have nothing to do with his ability or a replacement and have everything to do with the cap implications if we cut him. He would be better served to stand around with a clip board this year than to cut him I believe.

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe he comes to terms with his natural erm... orientation, marries a supermodel and gets Brady good

It could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    I know I will get killed on here for this, but it is a thought. If the Jets draft a qb Smith, Nassib, etc with one of their picks and he plays great in camp. Could we cut Sanchez before the season just to get him off the team. After seeing him booed at the Knick game the other night I don't think he has a chance here this year. If a rookie plays better I don't think him getting cut is out of the equation. Have Garrard as the backup and have Mcelroy or another qb we sign as the 3rd string. Just seeing if other think this could happen.
    Thanks to MT sabotage it costs more I believe if we cut him. If it was structured that would could save half his salary by cutting him he would be cut already. Maybe find a desperate team to trade for 7th rd pick 😉

I may be wrong, but I think there's about 8.5 million reasons he sticks with the team through the 2013 season.

If we pick a QB on Thursday, yes. Mark Sanchez is released on/around June 1st.

If we pick a QB on Friday, maybe.

If we pick a QB on Saturday or not at all, no.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think there's about 8.5 million reasons he sticks with the team through the 2013 season.
    Yeah, and he's a bargain compared to these guys:

Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions: $20.82 million
    Eli Manning, New York Giants: $20.35 million
    Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos: $20 million
    Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints: $17.4 million
    Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers: $17.11 million

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I think he's here for 2013. He probably starts the season, completes 3 passes to Revis in Week 1, and then is benched for Garrard or a rookie if we've drafted one in this Draft.
    While I think it's unlikely he'll be on the team, if he somehow is, that is exactly what will happen. But it won't be his fault as per usual.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Not that mocks mean anything but some have Tyler Bray to the Jets in the 3rd..
    That is the way I hope they go - whether its Bray or someone else. If that's the case, I can certainly see Sanchez being cut and treated as a post-June cut, spreading the cap hit over two years.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If we pick a QB on Thursday, yes. Mark Sanchez is released on/around June 1st.

If we pick a QB on Friday, maybe.

If we pick a QB on Saturday or not at all, no.
    My thoughts exactly.

I don't believe it makes sense for the Jets to draft a QB this year though. There's still a good chance that Rex is done after 2013, and unless he survives the purge, MM may go also. That would mean whoever was drafted would have to start over with a new OC, and as we saw with Sanchez, the first few years are critical in development.

I do think there is a chance if we draft a QB relatively high. Seems like we are keeping a lot of caproom, maybe it is to have the option to dump him, which they should.