Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone think we cut Sanchez before the season starts?

After trading Revis, I don't think there is enough cap room to cut him

i think it would be totally unfair to Rex for mark not to have a shot to compete.
    Rex hitched his star to Mark, and if Rex is under a do or die situation this year, he should have some opportunity to win as he sees fit. if Mark has a good year, he may be able to save his job.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

I don't believe it makes sense for the Jets to draft a QB this year though. There's still a good chance that Rex is done after 2013, and unless he survives the purge, MM may go also. That would mean whoever was drafted would have to start over with a new OC, and as we saw with Sanchez, the first few years are critical in development.
    But do you think Idzik is thinking like this? I don't think Idzik is thinking about firing the man who he is putting in long hours with right now and working on building the team with. I'm sure in the back of his mind, he realizes he might have to if the team has a bad season, but I just can't see Idzik's mindset for the draft being "well I'm firing Rex after the season anyway, so let me sandbag him with another year of Sanchez." He should be, and probably is thinking that the team is very weak at QB and it's a position that needs an influx of talent. Don't be surprised if we take a QB in the first 2 rounds. I expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    But do you think Idzik is thinking like this? I don't think Idzik is thinking about firing the man who he is putting in long hours with right now and working on building the team with. I'm sure in the back of his mind, he realizes he might have to if the team has a bad season, but I just can't see Idzik's mindset for the draft being "well I'm firing Rex after the season anyway, so let me sandbag him with another year of Sanchez." He should be, and probably is thinking that the team is very weak at QB and it's a position that needs an influx of talent. Don't be surprised if we take a QB in the first 2 rounds. I expect it.
    Good points, and for the record I'm definitely not against a QB in the early rounds (especially now that they have #13). If Geno falls to 9 and the Jets tab him, count me as one of the few that would be excited about that.

My only concern is stability for the young QB. When you look around the league at young QBs playing well, they've got a good foundation. Philbin, Pagano, Shanahan, Carroll...these guys are going nowhere anytime soon. Flacco and Ryan have enjoyed a stable CS throughout their careers.

I don't think that's a reason to pass on a QB that you love (if there is one), but by the same token I just don't think it's optimal for a young QB. Guess we'll see - best case, the Jets get the right player that comes in and performs immediately, Rex's D gets the job done and there's no need for change.

Can someone tell me how it would help the jets at all cutting sanchez this season? If what i read is correct its a 4+ mill cap hit to cut him and 8+ million in dead money.

I feel like im crazy reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Good points, and for the record I'm definitely not against a QB in the early rounds (especially now that they have #13). If Geno falls to 9 and the Jets tab him, count me as one of the few that would be excited about that.

My only concern is stability for the young QB. When you look around the league at young QBs playing well, they've got a good foundation. Philbin, Pagano, Shanahan, Carroll...these guys are going nowhere anytime soon. Flacco and Ryan have enjoyed a stable CS throughout their careers.

I don't think that's a reason to pass on a QB that you love (if there is one), but by the same token I just don't think it's optimal for a young QB. Guess we'll see - best case, the Jets get the right player that comes in and performs immediately, Rex's D gets the job done and there's no need for change.
    Oh I agree stability is very important early in a QB's career. But so is having a good D to lean on while learning the ropes. And with Rex at the helm, it's likely the D is going to perform well. That's what we saw last season with Wilson. Seattle leaned on their D early on as he learned the ropes, but then he came into his own the 2nd half of the season. That would sort of be the ideal situation for us if we take a QB high in the draft and start him right way. Lean on Rex's D early, let the guy figure it out by the 2nd half of the season. I think that was the plan with Sanchez only outside of a couple playoff games, he never figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets88NY View Post
    Can someone tell me how it would help the jets at all cutting sanchez this season? If what i read is correct its a 4+ mill cap hit to cut him and 8+ million in dead money.

If we can squeeze half of the douchebag's cap hit + dead money into 2013, then sure, cut him after June 1st. His removal will be a huge emotional lift for the team and for the fanbase. The thought of Sanchez on the field for the Jets again is extremely depressing.

All Pro

Cant say im for it, but i think it helps in the way that he is off the team and wont be a speed bump in the teams progression for another year.

Aside from saving the cap hit, what good is it to keep him on the team?
    Oh yeah, it can be flipped on ya.

(you dont think "new system, new OC, Mark can succeed here", do you)

1. Cap-wise, it wouldn't. It would hurt the Jets.

2. On the field, it would be a great help, as Sanchez would no longer be playing, fumbling, throwing interceptions and incompletions and proving out his bust status. Almost any warm body (apart from non-NFL talents like McElroy) will be superior at the position. With Sanchez cut, Rex will be unable to play him, forcing a better player in that spot.

It's not going to happen, so it's a moot point.

It will happen at the end of 2013, and Rex will very likely be following him out the door.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Cant say im for it, but i think it helps in the way that he is off the team and wont be a speed bump in the teams progression for another year.

Aside from saving the cap hit, what good is it to keep him on the team?
    Oh yeah, it can be flipped on ya.

(you dont think "new system, new OC, Mark can succeed here", do you)
    Sanchez > garrard > McElroy > tebow. Not that there is any real difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Sanchez > garrard > McElroy > tebow. Not that there is any real difference between them.
    non sequitor

if some are better than others, then there is a real difference among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    non sequitor

if some are better than others, then there is a real difference among them.
    Paradox.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Not that mocks mean anything but some have Tyler Bray to the Jets in the 3rd..
    I'd rather Zac Dysart...but that's just me.