Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: How many games did Revis win for the Jets?

  1. #1

    How many games did Revis win for the Jets?

    Please allow your emotions to subside for a moment, and give a valid and lucid response.

    How many games did Revis single handedly win for the Jets?

    How about a second one:

    How many games would the Jets have won if Revis played in 2012? More than 6?

    Ask yourself: Is this more about having a great player on the field, or improving the team? The team, with Revis, in 2011 was 8-8. Not really a juggernaut. In 2012 the team was 6-10. How many of the games played would he have changed had he played? Is it not in the Jets best interest to move forward to try and find a more viable solution to winning games?

    Yes, he shuts down the oppositions best receiver, but does this quantify a "win"? Other players contribute as well, albeit not on a weekly level, but do their efforts get ignored and revolve around this one player? I believe the defense held its own last season, without Revis.

    How many games has Revis won for the Jets?

  2. #2
    The previous year when he was healthy I thought he won about 3 games for us. Seriously. The 8-8 team was in no way shape or form an almost made the playoffs 8-8 team. They were massively lucky to have a .500 record.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,233
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Please allow your emotions to subside for a moment, and give a valid and lucid response.

    How many games did Revis single handedly win for the Jets?

    How about a second one:

    How many games would the Jets have won if Revis played in 2012? More than 6?

    Ask yourself: Is this more about having a great player on the field, or improving the team? The team, with Revis, in 2011 was 8-8. Not really a juggernaut. In 2012 the team was 6-10. How many of the games played would he have changed had he played? Is it not in the Jets best interest to move forward to try and find a more viable solution to winning games?

    Yes, he shuts down the oppositions best receiver, but does this quantify a "win"? Other players contribute as well, albeit not on a weekly level, but do their efforts get ignored and revolve around this one player? I believe the defense held its own last season, without Revis.

    How many games has Revis won for the Jets?
    The question should be phrased: How many games did Revis keep us from losing ? Cause most of our games were so close during this Sanchez era those deep passes revis single handedly caught up to & broke up were the difference between Wins & loses .

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The previous year when he was healthy I thought he won about 3 games for us. Seriously. The 8-8 team was in no way shape or form an almost made the playoffs 8-8 team. They were massively lucky to have a .500 record.
    Can you elaborate on which ones?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    The question should be phrased: How many games did Revis keep us from losing ? Cause most of our games were so close during this Sanchez era those deep passes revis single handedly caught up to & broke up were the difference between Wins & loses .
    I don't want to try to "not to lose".

    I want our offense to "win the game".

    How many game does Revis win for the Jets?

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,013
    None. It is a fiction invented by the fanbois.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The previous year when he was healthy I thought he won about 3 games for us. Seriously. The 8-8 team was in no way shape or form an almost made the playoffs 8-8 team. They were massively lucky to have a .500 record.
    Wasn't that the year Sanchez had 32 td's(with 6 rushing ) and 18 picks?? In 07 when the Giants went on to win the Bowl Eli had 24 tds(1 rushing) and 20 picks.. Were they massively lucky to have 10-6 record??

  8. #8
    Your point is definitely valid, but it's nearly impossible to point out a game where we won because of him (mostly because that means that the QB simply didn't complete a pass extending a drive or didn't have an option to throw to a certain receiver). I think the TDs allowed/interceptions stat was very telling.

    Still tho, for me it comes down to this: Revis is only NEAR his maximum value if he is playing on a true playoff contender. Teams in the middle need much more serious needs than a shutdown corner, they usually have holes all over. Teams at the top are the ones who have most of their needs filled, and the ones who will be facing so many high flying offenses in the playoffs.

    For teams looking to win a SB, you build a team that will get you to the playoffs, but win when you get INTO the playoffs. That means having a shutdown (or just damn good) secondary - look at what happened to SF and Denver in last year's playoffs when one bad play by the secondary was all it took.

    Maybe we didn't get what some of us here would have hoped, but we got the most we could, and more than we could have later on. I loved, LOVED Revis, but you have to be on board with this trade, no matter how much more you wish we could have gotten.

  9. #9
    How many games did Revis win for us?

    Here's what I can think of off the top of my head. There may be more:

    - Dallas Opening Season Game (big interception put us in position for winning drive)

    - Miami Mon/Sun Night Game: 100 yard interception return turned the game around

    - San Diego Playoff Game (acrobatic interception turned game around)

    - New England Home Game (Rex's first season): virtually shut down Randy Moss when Brady-Moss was ultra hot combo (also had a key interception on a go route)

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,938
    He sealed the Dallas game. But there were a number of things that led to us winning that game.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,457
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    How many games did Revis win for us?

    Here's what I can think of off the top of my head. There may be more:

    - Dallas Opening Season Game (big interception put us in position for winning drive)

    - Miami Mon/Sun Night Game: 100 yard interception return turned the game around

    - San Diego Playoff Game (acrobatic interception turned game around)

    - New England Home Game (Rex's first season): virtually shut down Randy Moss when Brady-Moss was ultra hot combo (also had a key interception on a go route)
    I think Shonn Greene had a huge play in the game as well.. The Dallas game also had Trufant blocking a kick and returning it for a TD.. And I remember another Fin Mon nite game when Ginn beat Revis for a game winning td..

  12. #12
    That's such a silly sentiment. It's football. Even Quarterbacks don't "single handedly win games" let alone a defensive player. I understand you're belief that he isn't worth 13mm a year, but to think he didn't have an extremely significant impact on games.. c'mon. He basically put an extra player in the box for us on every play. I'm frankly shocked that Tampa Bay paid him what he wanted. If it weren't for them we could have had him for probably 10 which isn't quite as insane.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He sealed the Dallas game. But there were a number of things that led to us winning that game.
    You mean the interception that Romo threw straight to him.

    At least he caught it.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I think Shonn Greene had a huge play in the game as well.. The Dallas game also had Trufant blocking a kick and returning it for a TD.. And I remember another Fin Mon nite game when Ginn beat Revis for a game winning td..
    Yeah he definitely lost us that game against Miami.

  15. #15
    Probably 1-2 games a year.

  16. #16
    First of all, your question is a loaded-one because NO ONE PLAYER ever wins a game completely. I'm sure you realize that.

    And as far as the Ginn TD, yes, I remember that. But that wasn't your question. It was how many games has he "singlehandedly" won. As I mentioned the true answer is zero (as with any player in the NFL -- you can't even say Joe Willie singlehandedly won SBIII). However, he played a pivotal role in turning around those games I mentioned and probably many more.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    That's such a silly sentiment. It's football. Even Quarterbacks don't "single handedly win games" let alone a defensive player.
    It is football, and clearly Revis alone did not help the Jets to go over the top. We're consistently losing to New England, and need to go in another direction. The defense needs to built up front, not from the corner of the secondary forward.

    I think QBs single handedly winning games is easier to believe than a CB single handedly winning games.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,457
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    First of all, your question is a loaded-one because NO ONE PLAYER ever wins a game completely. I'm sure you realize that.

    And as far as the Ginn TD, yes, I remember that. But that wasn't your question. It was how many games has he "singlehandedly" won. As I mentioned the true answer is zero (as with any player in the NFL -- you can't even say Joe Willie singlehandedly won SBIII). However, he played a pivotal role in turning around those games I mentioned and probably many more.
    True the DB's and Snell did.. Your right football is a team game..

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    First of all, your question is a loaded-one because NO ONE PLAYER ever wins a game completely. I'm sure you realize that.

    And as far as the Ginn TD, yes, I remember that. But that wasn't your question. It was how many games has he "singlehandedly" won. As I mentioned the true answer is zero (as with any player in the NFL -- you can't even say Joe Willie singlehandedly won SBIII). However, he played a pivotal role in turning around those games I mentioned and probably many more.
    No, I realize that, but the point is that Revis is not going to change the outcome of anything in the near future for the Jets. In 2 years he's going to be 30, that's about when the Jets stand a chance of being competitive in the playoffs again.

    People wanted him, why? Because he's awesome? The defense played reasonably well last year, with an abysmal offense that put them in garbage situations without Revis. Let's find new players and move forward. What the Jets tried the last 4 years isn't winning them a championship.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Please allow your emotions to subside for a moment, and give a valid and lucid response.

    How many games did Revis single handedly win for the Jets?
    The answer to this question can be quantified about as easily............

    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    The question should be phrased: How many games did Revis keep us from losing ?
    .....as the answer to this.

    Neither can be quantified at all. He's a good player. He's an asset to a football team. Does he alone have the power to single handedly turn a football team around the way a great QB could? No, therefore he shouldn't be paid like one. Period.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us