Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Put Out the Word - Interested In Trading Down

Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    Say the Niners offered the 31st and 34th pick for the #13 pick. The Jets would then have 4 picks in the top 45, including one in the top 10.

That's how you rebuild a depleted roster.
    Just to be more precise, the Jets 2 is 39, so they'd have 4 picks in the top 39.

That would be a busy stretch, picking at 31, 34, and 39!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The draft is not a complete crap shoot.. There is a reason that some teams are better at drafting than others.

That mentality is just the wrong way to look at the draft.

Because I believe the talent at 13 is similar to the talent at 31 and 34, I would be interested in trading down with Frisco.

According to the draft value chart, 13 roughly equals 31 and 34. We could really end up with someone like Ertz and a QB there. The only 2 QB's I'd even take on my team are EJ Manuel and Glennon though. Glennon has a smaller chance at being very good in my opinion. Manuel is the guy I would really try to get if reasonably possible.
    I DO NOT want any QB drafted this year to help Rex Ryan. Let him crash and burn with Sanchez, and then dump them out the door at the end of the year. Draft a QB NEXT year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    Say the Niners offered the 31st and 34th pick for the #13 pick. The Jets would then have 4 picks in the top 45, including one in the top 10.

That's how you rebuild a depleted roster.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The draft is not a complete crap shoot.. There is a reason that some teams are better at drafting than others.

That mentality is just the wrong way to look at the draft.

Because I believe the talent at 13 is similar to the talent at 31 and 34, I would be interested in trading down with Frisco.

According to the draft value chart, 13 roughly equals 31 and 34. We could really end up with someone like Ertz and a QB there. The only 2 QB's I'd even take on my team are EJ Manuel and Glennon though. Glennon has a smaller chance at being very good in my opinion. Manuel is the guy I would really try to get if reasonably possible.
    I really think we could get Ertz in the second...I'd rather get a OLB here.

Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I'm not much of a poker player, so can anyone tell me why you show your hand 3 days before the draft?

Having said that, I'm definitely in favor of this philosophy - just wondering why you make it public.
    If you're looking to trade up, you don't show your hand. It only makes sense that they put the word out trading down to get as many bidders as possible.

Plus, teams will be more aggressive trying to get that pick if they know they could be bidding against a possible 31 other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I DO NOT want any QB drafted this year to help Rex Ryan. Let him crash and burn with Sanchez, and then dump them out the door at the end of the year. Draft a QB NEXT year.
    So if Idzik really knows personnel, and finds a guy of Russell Wilson value in the second or third round, you want him to pass on that guy because you want the head coach fired?

Astounding display of logic.

You essentially have to have a trade scenario in place before the draft for most teams. You work out the compensation and then on draft day depending who is on the board you pull the trigger. I'd be very happy if we can trade down with one of the picks if not both.

Jets Insider VIP
    So if both Warmack and a guy like Ansah were still there....you still trade down?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    So if both Warmack and a guy like Ansah were still there....you still trade down?
    If either is there at #9, you take him. Both will likely be gone by #13.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    No, you wait until you're on the clock and if they're not there you pull the trigger with your trading partner, which trade you have prepped for by announcing your intent on April 22.

I'm surprised that no one has guessed that this could in itself be a smokescreen. How better to avoid teams jumping ahead of your pick than basically announcing that you want to trade out of the early part of the first?

Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has guessed that this could in itself be a smokescreen. How better to avoid teams jumping ahead of your pick than basically announcing that you want to trade out of the early part of the first?
    so they really want to trade up?

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    Just to be more precise, the Jets 2 is 39, so they'd have 4 picks in the top 39.

That would be a busy stretch, picking at 31, 34, and 39!

According to the Draft Value Chart:
    13th Pick: 1150 value
    31st Pick: 600 value
    34th Pick: 560 value

So we would trade 1150 for 1160 in value. Seems about as close to a perfect deal as you will find.
    Last edited by MadCroatian; 04-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post

Totally agree with this. I think the Jets have their sights set on two particular players at 9 and 13. I don't think they're trading down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    The Rex hate is so confusing to me...

We can all agree that Sanchez sucks, right?

Assuming that fact to be true, how could you EVER get rid of a coach who took a team to the championship game 2 years with a garbage QB?

Rex is fine... he's not the problem. All the best coaches need a QB. Hell, we seen it with Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCroatian View Post
    According to the Draft Value Chart:
    13th Pick: 1150 value
    31st Pick: 600 value
    34th Pick: 560 value

So we would trade 1150 for 1160 in value. Seems about as close to a perfect deal as you will find.
    Exactly, and what I mentioned above too.

Would have to figure that Frisco likes a particular player. They can't keep every pick because the 53 man roster won't even allow them to keep every player.

Perhaps they like nose tackle (Star) or someone like Cyprien/Vaccaro at safety.

Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I'm not much of a poker player, so can anyone tell me why you show your hand 3 days before the draft?

Having said that, I'm definitely in favor of this philosophy - just wondering why you make it public.

uuuuh, you make it public so teams looking to trade up are aware that you are a willing trade partner. Duh

Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    doesnt everybody, in every draft, put it out there that they want to trade down!! of course u want more picks...it just rarely happens.
    Nope, not at all.

#9 will tell the tale
    Every team has a draft board
    If Jets have 4 guys on their board still when they are on the clock, I'm thinking they are trading out, possibly landing either the Vikings or 49ers 1st rounders.

Best case scenario is that both the Vikings & the 49ers covet someone at #9.
    #13 I believe will be a player like Jarvis Jones or Cooper.
    Then, the bottom of the 1st & top of the 2nd round will be owned by the Jets & that is where they will be making hay.

Just go look at Gil Brandt or Mike Mayocks top 100
    Everyone talks about Value
    What better value is there in this draft than the 2nd & 3rd rounds?
    Most exciting draft EVER for the NY Jets fans.
    Thank god so many underclassman went into this draft!
    If they get Ivory they are set at RB with Ivory, Powell, Goodsen.
    They will come out of this draft with OG, OLB, TE, FS, WR, all picked between 13-39!

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    so they really want to trade up?
    Not saying they want to trade up.

Maybe they do have high marks for two players that could make it to 9 and 13. Wouldn't hurt to make your competition think that you are having a fire sale for draft positions you intend on keeping.

And that could also play on the minds of potential bidders.

If the Jets announce they want a trade-down and have no intention of doing so, bidding teams could end up offering them a true sweetheart deal that makes it worth it not to stand pat for one player they like.